New to synths: Help!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
highpedality

New to synths: Help!

Post by highpedality » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 am

I've been a huge gearhead, guitar player for 15 years. I saw this band a couple of weeks ago and decided I want to delve into the synth world and make some music like this.

https://marketdetroit.bandcamp.com/releases

So I just bought an Arturia Microbrute. Really loving it so far. The sequencer has been great I have a ton to learn still but for the most part, I'm "getting it". SO where do I go from here to start my 1 or 2 man house band?

DRUMS:
I'm looking for a solid drum machine to sync up up some sequences/basslines. I tried the Volca Beats and wasn't into it at all actually. The sounds we're a bit too toyish sounding. I'm looking for something 80's sounding. Fat bass and snare. I know on the recording above they are using a Roland 707, which is a bit out of my price range. But the sound above is ideally what I'm chasing? Hows the Alesis SR-16? Seems like a staple. Any other recommendations are appreciated

ANOTHER SYNTH:
Looking for something to play more leads/melody on. How's the MS-20 mini? Is it too similar to the Microbrute? Would having both be redundant? Something polyphonic might be sweet too. Something with presets? I like the idea of analog but am not opposed to digital. I like small sizewise though.

I was binging through this guys videos last night and fell in love with every sound on this thing. Especially that brass sound in the intro?! What song is that and how can I achieve that tone?

Overall, I love the tones of 70's and 80's synths. George A. Romero movies, Zombi, Chromeo, Daft Punk, Giorgio Moroder, etc... I'm trying to get those tones and fuse it with some Detroit techno/house. Thanks so much for your help and guidance!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: New to synths: Help!

Post by Zamise » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

I could be way off, but Market's synth sounds sound DX-ish to me... I had a lot of suggestions and stuff typed out, but realized I'm probably not even close, or could be exactly what you want or need, hard to tell.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:24 pm

highpedality,

Most of the gear Zamise mentioned is no longer made, you would look for used ones:

Yamaha DX200
Yamaha CS6X with a plg150-dx card
Yamaha QY70
Moog source
Yamaha DX7 or DX7II
Yamaha RX drum machine

These are being sold new today:

Roland Aria TR-8
Yamaha Reface DX
Yamaha QY100

You can read more about most of these if you go up to the top of this page and click on Synths: browse the gear
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Qy100 is not available anymore
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

dsrdr1

Post by dsrdr1 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 pm

A good Drum Machine solution for you may be a Roland R-70 if you can get your hands on one .

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:30 am

Hi

If You have an iPhone or ipad try the funkbox app
It Can be sync to midi. It has samples of 70-80' drum machine and has presset patterns as Well as programmable ones.
A cool app. Tr-808, 707, RX-11 and many more.

Then the synths. Again to save money look in the app department if you have an iPad. There are Korg iMS-20 and iM1 the M1 app is great and Sys ex compatible with the real M1 and have resonance filter. ;)

There are the DXi app for DX sound or FM4 app. That should give you som sounds from that time.

Cheers

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:44 am

Sunrizer app is like Roland jp 8000