CS 80

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
88keez

CS 80

Post by 88keez » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Does anyone know what a Yamaha CS 80 is worth nowadays?

I have one I'm selling but I'm not sure what to ask for. It's in decent shape and everything is working but one of the sounds. Any help,would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Baus

Re: CS 80

Post by Baus » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi 88keez,

In decent shape and everything working they seem to start at around €10.000

Where are you located?

Robin
The Netherlands

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:25 pm

If you could bring it to a technician,i would certainly do it.
A fully serviced/calibrated CS-80 might bring you 16000 euro and more.

Explorer

Re: Yamaha CS 80

Post by Explorer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:27 pm

If you could bring it to a technician,i would certainly do it.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Nope, they are actually worth that much. It's like the rolls royce of synths. You're sitting on a goldmine.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:37 pm

I don't think they are worth what they sell for today I bought one for £500 needing repairs its still possible to find one at a good price,
yamoto773

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:38 pm

bochelli wrote:I don't think they are worth what they sell for today I bought one for £500 needing repairs its still possible to find one at a good price,
There is always a chance to buy things at such prices,no doubt.

A CS-80 is indeed not worth that kind off money,absolutely not.
But these are endless discussions on prices payed for things that are worth it or not.
Good luck to the seller though. :keys2:

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:29 pm

A good condition CS80 costs a huge amount - and of course it is definitely "worth it" because the market says so, and that's what dictates the price of everything. Nobody can come along and say - it's not worth it. If they do, they either don't rate it personally, or are trying in some small way to devalue it.

An AKS costs £10000 these days on the market - so - it's worth it.

A fully calibrated CS80 start from around £10,000. Since yours isn't fully functioning and needs a calibration also, it's probably reasonable to post it on ebay with a starting price of about £8000 - if it's also in good mechanical and cosmetic condition

An RL Music / KSR CS80 is better than an original new one since they stabilise the circuits, rebuild and retolex. That's why they sell for perhaps £12000 -£13000 and upwards (a steal - since it's actually cheaper, in real terms, than an original new one, by some margin).

And that might sound like a lot of money - but millions of people pay that out for little hatch back cars on a daily basis without batting an eyelid, so, for what you're getting, it's just not a lot of money by any measure.

In any case, for a fully functioning formidable classic instrument, whether a Stradivarius or a CS80 is - its true current value is what the market demands - and for a CS80 it's around £10,000 and upwards for now, perhaps rising by about a £1000 every year or two. Personal opinion doesn't enter into the equation - don't be swayed by individual arguments of devaluation - just wait for the next person to come along who'll pay the going price.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:32 am

Let's say, asking prices are like this. Not sure how many actually sell for that sort of money.

Asking a price is one thing, selling it for that sort of money is another. There were, for example, many ARP 2600s out there that were priced above 10,000 US$ starting price -- when one sold (with a much lower starting price), it would normally end up at about 50% of 10,000 US$. CS60s are normally priced around 3,500 to 4,000 Euros starting bid -- the last one on eBay Germany went for 2,100 Euros about a week ago -- and it was complete with legs, lid, pedals, literature etc.
Bitexion wrote: [...] You're sitting on a goldmine.
Or on a bottomless pit.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:34 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Bitexion wrote: [...] You're sitting on a goldmine.
Or on a bottomless pit.

Stephen
haha so very true, all a matter of perspective ;)

88keez

Post by 88keez » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. The more research I do into pricing the more confused I get. It seems they can go anywhere from $2,000-10,000 or more. I guess it depends on what the buyer wants to pay.

Mine is in "okay" shape, certainly not pristine. It's been on the road so the case is a little beat up, no legs, but the inside looks pretty good.

I live in Toronto, Canada, so I am going to look for a tech close to me to see if I can get it looked at. I have had it for 20 years but have never had it serviced. I know that the CS80 goes out of tune and needs to be serviced from time to time.

Does anyone know of a tech that lives near Toronto?

Thanks again for the replies.

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm

I removed my previous reply as i was not sure about the information it contained.

There should be a Synth Repair Shop in your town.
And also somebody in Montréal.

If you know musicians in your area,they can probably help you out on this.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Explorer wrote:If you could bring it to a technician,i would certainly do it.
Only if it's complete with all accessories, legs, lid, pedals. Everything else you have to buy as an extra will be extra-expensive.

When it's tatty, in need of an overhaul, some bits that no longer work the way they should, needs to be lugged around (and re-tolexed)... I wouldn't pay more than 5,000 or 6,000 Euros for it since most technicians will not touch a CS80 (there are two in Europe that I know of), and if they do, labour will be excessively expensive -- just like the spare ICs you might need. It's easy to spend another 5,000 to 6,000 Euros on bringing it back to life again.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 pm

My CS80 is in great shape technically, and with one minor cosmetic defect (damage to the outer right wood, which somebody tried to repair with a wood screw. I need to fix that one of these days.) I have seen ones in worse condition than mind, and without any of the accessories (I have a lid, wheels and stand, and both original pedals; no legs, though) sell for $15k USD or so. I paid less than that, and in Canadian dollars too (back when the Canadian dollar was still at par), but I think I got a great deal.

So, charge what the market will stand. There really are very instruments in the synthesizer world that can be compared, favourably, to a Stradivarius violin or a similarly luxurious acoustic or orchestral instrument. The CS80 is the Stradivarius of synthesizers. It does very few things, but it does them extraordinarily well, and is absolutely different to any other synthesizer I've tried (and I think at this point I've owned about 30 vintage and modern pieces of kit?)

Alternately, keep it and enjoy it!
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:46 am

In Montreal, the chap to get ahold of is Nicolas Ramcur, if he's willing to take it on; he's restored two CS80s from the ground up, so he's aware of the awfulness of the job, including one where a large portion of the machine had been completely buggered up and then it sat in a barn for two decades. A simply astonishing recommendation.

I can also recommend somebody out here in BC who is willing to work on them; he's done a CS60 and a CS50 for me, and my CS80 is slated for a rebuilding in the new year.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre