Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]
Location: teutoburg forest, eastern westphalia, germany
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:18 am

thefonz003 wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:[...]

It's a big Island, with a nuclear power plant and such.

Stephen
You misspelled "nucular."

EDIT: Should probably put a winky-face after that last statement.

You misspelled "nucular." ;)
D'oh!

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by knolan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 pm

VCO Monophonic keyboard synth: MonoPoly
VCO Polyphonic keyboard synth: CS80
DCO keyboard synth: Juno106
Digital-analog hybrid keyboard synth: Prophet T8 / CS70M
Pure digital keyboard synth: SY99 / JD800 / OASYS / DX1
Standalone vocoder module: VP330
Standalone sequencer: QY700
Standalone general effects module: M2000
Analog drum machine: Eminent 310 :- Rithmix 110
Digital drum machine: R8
Rackmount synth: XV5080
Not-free softsynth: Monark

(all of which I own :-) )

User avatar
desmond
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by desmond » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Kevin - given that you have some rolls royce keyboards there - what's the keyboard feel like of the DX1 versus the T8? Which do you prefer? Or are they both pretty similar, do you find?

thefonz003
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 pm
Real name: Matt
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by thefonz003 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:56 am

knolan wrote:VCO Monophonic keyboard synth: MonoPoly
VCO Polyphonic keyboard synth: CS80
DCO keyboard synth: Juno106
Digital-analog hybrid keyboard synth: Prophet T8 / CS70M
Pure digital keyboard synth: SY99 / JD800 / OASYS / DX1
Standalone vocoder module: VP330
Standalone sequencer: QY700
Standalone general effects module: M2000
Analog drum machine: Eminent 310 :- Rithmix 110
Digital drum machine: R8
Rackmount synth: XV5080
Not-free softsynth: Monark

(all of which I own :-) )
While I'm jealous of your massive collection of synths, I have to point out that the Korg Mono/Poly doesn't really qualify as a monosynth.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by knolan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:43 am

It has one voice - with 4 oscillators - so it is monophonic (minimoog, for example, has one voice with three oscillators, and is monophonic, Pro 1 has one voice with two oscillators, and is monophonic, ....). I accept it has a paraphonic mode and chord memory - but - it only has one VCF, one VCA, and one set of Envelopes - so surely a monophonic in the real sense that separates monophonic from polyphonic (complete VCO, VCF, VCA and EGs for every voice)?
Last edited by knolan on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by knolan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:54 am

desmond wrote:Kevin - given that you have some rolls royce keyboards there - what's the keyboard feel like of the DX1 versus the T8? Which do you prefer? Or are they both pretty similar, do you find?
Desmond - the DX1 feels very acoustic, while the prophet T8 does feel like a thick, rich polyphonic synth - very 'Vangelisy'.

Despite the polyphonic aftertouch on the T8, what stands out is its velocity control combined with polymod - you can create staggering fat, thick, brassy polysynth sounds that change in timbral character with velocity affecting polymod (modulation that's independently controllable, per voice, via the keyboard velocity!). Fed into an external chorus and reverb - it's gargantuan!

It's great to see both polymod and velocity control on the Prophet 6 - because the same capability is there. Even if the keyboard of the Prophet 6 is only 4 octaves, the critical things is - velocity control on features that will affect the polymod - it gives a whole new dimension to the dynamics of playing a polysynth that isn't available on either the Prophet 5 or indeed Prophet 10 - because those instruments don't have velocity sensitivity. Yes they have polymod and that's excellent - but it's more static on those instruments from a performance point of view.

As with polyphonic aftertouch affecting individual oscillators in FM algorithms on the DX1 bringing FM towards an almost virtual acoustic level of capability (and not available on the DX7, SY77 or SY99); velocity sensitivity combined with polymod brings the T8 similarly into an almost virtual acoustic realm - because the dynamics of the performance affect the timbre - and as said - on thick synth sounds with polymod on and velocity affecting parameters impacting on polymod - you get extraordinarily dynamic sounds. It's uncanny. You have to pinch yourself at times to remember it's an analogue synth. I don't mean it makes sound that sound actually acoustic - I mean that polymod via velocity control gives this huge polysynth an almost acoustic level of performance capability. I have it set on one of just 4 or 5 programs I made using this feature combination for 90% of the time because they are so gorgeous!

It's a feature combination not promoted a lot (because traditionally only on the T8 and there are only a few hundred of those) - but hats off to DSI for implementing both on the Prophet 6 - giving it a similar dynamism not even available on the Pro 12 because (I believe) it doesn't have polymod (happy to stand corrected on that but I believe it doesn't).

I actually have two prophet T8s - and - as lovely as they are to play (and both are in excellent condition) - they are incredibly fragile - even moving a prophet T8 from one kind of stand to another can flex the instrument chassis and affect the keyboard action. So it's delicate - more delicate than you'd imagine (indeed one of my T8's is over to Kent Spong in the new year for a service on three keys that have lost their action). By comparison - the DX1 is built like a tank, and it's action feels much heavier and far more like that of a piano.

Sorry for rabbiting on so much -but the central point is - THE key feature of the T8 is alive and kicking on the Prophet 6 - velocity control on a synth with polymod - a magical combination!

I've heard that Dave Smith still uses his T8 as his main controller synth. If the case - it suggests he still harbours a passion for weighted action (and perhaps polyphonic aftertouch). Indeed, I personally imagine he'll release something approaching the Prophet T8 again. He may deny it now, but I suspect he'll do it before he's done.

I've heard him talk about polyphonic aftertocuh recently where he recognises its niche appeal - but - in the interview it was clear he was actually thinking about it (even if negatively right now :-) ). But - given the profitability of his company these days, I reckon he'll have the resources, and desire, to do a new "flagship polysynth" along the lines of the Prophet T8 once again - as said - before he's done. From humble 'new' beginnings 10-15 years ago to the Pro2, Pro12 and Prophet-6 - it looks to me like he's 'circling the wagons' for something really 'big'.

Here's hoping !!

User avatar
philip
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:52 pm
Real name: Philip
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by philip » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:44 am

Modular synth: Synthi 100
VCO Monophonic keyboard synth: Mini Moog D or PPG 1002
VCO Polyphonic keyboard synth: Yamaha CS 70m, Oberheim Eight Voices or Korg PS3300
DCO keyboard synth: JU106
Digital-analog hybrid keyboard synth: PPG Wave 2
Pure digital keyboard synth: dx5,z1
Standalone sequencer: ARP Sequencer
Standalone general effects module: Eventide 4500
Analog drum machine: LinnDrum
Digital drum machine: R8
Rackmount synth: Trinity Rack,QSR or Sunsyn
Designated sampler: Fairlight

Mixing desk: Siemens
Monitors: Acoustic Research AR18s
FX: Lexicon 480, AMS,EMT140 .

thefonz003
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 pm
Real name: Matt
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by thefonz003 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:24 pm

knolan wrote:It has one voice - with 4 oscillators - so it is monophonic (minimoog, for example, has one voice with three oscillators, and is monophonic, Pro 1 has one voice with two oscillators, and is monophonic, ....). I accept it has a paraphonic mode and chord memory - but - it only has one VCF, one VCA, and one set of Envelopes - so surely a monophonic in the real sense that separates monophonic from polyphonic (complete VCO, VCF, VCA and EGs for every voice)?
I dunno. My definition would be that multiple keys cannot simultaneously produce sound for something to be monophonic. As in, to play a chord you'd have to tune the oscillators such that they'd play a chord when you hit one note. It's probably just nitpicking though. I guess the genie could force you to play it only in monophonic mode. ;)

thefonz003
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 pm
Real name: Matt
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by thefonz003 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:26 pm

philip wrote:Modular synth: Synthi 100
VCO Monophonic keyboard synth: Mini Moog D or PPG 1002
VCO Polyphonic keyboard synth: Yamaha CS 70m, Oberheim Eight Voices or Korg PS3300
DCO keyboard synth: JU106
Digital-analog hybrid keyboard synth: PPG Wave 2
Pure digital keyboard synth: dx5,z1
Standalone sequencer: ARP Sequencer
Standalone general effects module: Eventide 4500
Analog drum machine: LinnDrum
Digital drum machine: R8
Rackmount synth: Trinity Rack,QSR or Sunsyn
Designated sampler: Fairlight

Mixing desk: Siemens
Monitors: Acoustic Research AR18s
FX: Lexicon 480, AMS,EMT140 .
Wouldn't LinnDrum be considered either digital or hybrid since it's sample-based?

User avatar
philip
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:52 pm
Real name: Philip
Contact:

Re: Yet another "desert-island synths" game

Post by philip » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:22 am

thefonz003 wrote:
philip wrote:Modular synth: Synthi 100
VCO Monophonic keyboard synth: Mini Moog D or PPG 1002
VCO Polyphonic keyboard synth: Yamaha CS 70m, Oberheim Eight Voices or Korg PS3300
DCO keyboard synth: JU106
Digital-analog hybrid keyboard synth: PPG Wave 2
Pure digital keyboard synth: dx5,z1
Standalone sequencer: ARP Sequencer
Standalone general effects module: Eventide 4500
Analog drum machine: LinnDrum
Digital drum machine: R8
Rackmount synth: Trinity Rack,QSR or Sunsyn
Designated sampler: Fairlight

Mixing desk: Siemens
Monitors: Acoustic Research AR18s
FX: Lexicon 480, AMS,EMT140 .
Wouldn't LinnDrum be considered either digital or hybrid since it's sample-based?

Oh snap!! :oops: :oops: 8-) 8-) :lol:

Post Reply