General views of synthesizers when they were introduced?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
collinj153

Re: General views of synthesizers when they were introduced?

Post by collinj153 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks all! Your replies has helped me immensely on this paper!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 am

The whole "man vrs machine" argument back in the day where timing is too perfect, not human, sounds like robots, artificial and not artful or musical or emotional or inspirational, warm and fuzzy etc. etc., technically, came more about from the advent and proliferation of sequencers being included as a function within synthesizers or external sequencers connected to the synthesizers.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:18 pm

I might want to add that synthesizers with basic sound shaping implementations didn't do much to make sounds very human. They were quite static in their dynamic flow as well as their sound character. FM changed this somewhat, at least when it came down to tonal variation (the fact that operator phases didn't have to reset at each key-trigger). There needs to be a lot more random stuff in synths, applied to LFOs, envelopes, scaling 'n such! Without all that, I can imagine people thinking that synths sound dull, static, robotic etc.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids