Dear Synth Manufacturers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Dear Synth Manufacturers

Post by mantrak » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Dear Moog, Korg, DSI, Roland, Arturia and others,

Some of you are probably reading this, thanx! Here is the idea: Please make a desktop synth with pitch and modulation wheels. I want to put the synth module on top of my main board which is a piano (no wheels) or organ (no wheels). I really don't need to carry around second keyboard, I just need sounds, knobs, proper DIN MIDI and wheels.

Is this such a crazy request? Not one desktop synth seems to have wheels! Wheels please!

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Re: Dear Synth Manufacturers

Post by chimney chop » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:59 pm

the new Roland modules have pitch/mod strips

mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Post by mantrak » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Strips are certainly better than nothing. And any synth is better than no synth. However, I was thinking of something with real knobs and most importantly real wheels. Roland's bend/vibrato combination would be ok too. Strips are great as additional control, but they cannot replace WHEELS.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:06 pm

mantrak wrote:Dear Moog, Korg, DSI, Roland, Arturia and others,

Some of you are probably reading this, thanx! Here is the idea: Please make a desktop synth with pitch and modulation wheels. I want to put the synth module on top of my main board which is a piano (no wheels) or organ (no wheels). I really don't need to carry around second keyboard, I just need sounds, knobs, proper DIN MIDI and wheels.

Is this such a crazy request? Not one desktop synth seems to have wheels! Wheels please!
If your main board is a piano or organ how do you intend to play the desktop synth, unless your piano or organ has MIDI ?

Most people who buy desktop synths will own at least one keyboard with MIDI, that's why Roland et al don't put wheels on desktop synths.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm guessing its an electro series Nord, which has midi, but no wheels.

mantrak

Post by mantrak » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:49 am

Psy_Free wrote: If your main board is a piano or organ how do you intend to play the desktop synth, unless your piano or organ has MIDI ?

Most people who buy desktop synths will own at least one keyboard with MIDI, that's why Roland et al don't put wheels on desktop synths.
What makes you think that my board does not have MIDI? Of course it does.

mantrak

Post by mantrak » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

tomorrowstops wrote:I'm guessing its an electro series Nord, which has midi, but no wheels.
Right, NE5D 73 with plenty of room on top for a small synth expander. I would be just fine with something like Mopho desktop if it just had darn WHEELS. Or Mono Lancet, or Blofeld or something of that size...

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:13 pm

mantrak wrote:
Psy_Free wrote: If your main board is a piano or organ how do you intend to play the desktop synth, unless your piano or organ has MIDI ?

In your post you simply mention a Piano and an Organ. I assumed you meant an actual piano and an actual organ (e.g. a Steinway and a Hammond), not a modelled piano & organ in one instrument, eg. Norg Electro. Actual pianos and actual organs don't usually have MIDI, hence my question. :roll:
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

mantrak

Post by mantrak » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Psy_Free wrote:
mantrak wrote:

In your post you simply mention a Piano and an Organ. I assumed you meant an actual piano and an actual organ (e.g. a Steinway and a Hammond), not a modelled piano & organ in one instrument, eg. Norg Electro. Actual pianos and actual organs don't usually have MIDI, hence my question. :roll:
That would not make any sense would it? Would anyone want to use synth expander with a non-midi instrument?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:19 pm

:banghead:
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Semantics aside, boys, it is kind of a bummer there are not modules with wheels. Really though, its more of a bummer that the Electro Series doesn't have wheels. And a basic ADSR for the sample library sounds.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

The only desktop module I know that has wheels is Yamaha QY700.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I seem to recall my Zoom ST224 had one wheel, Kawai K1M had a joystick. Definitely a rarity, though.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Might be kind of neat, gimmicky, for a desktop module to have some assignable mod wheels, I think I'd prefere that sometimes over a knob or strip or fader, especially one that returns to center by itself for pitch. However, the idea for them usually often is to have a cheapass keyboard or controller hooked up to them that would likely already have wheels on it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

mantrak

Post by mantrak » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Zamise wrote:Might be kind of neat, gimmicky, for a desktop module to have some assignable mod wheels, I think I'd prefere that sometimes over a knob or strip or fader, especially one that returns to center by itself for pitch. However, the idea for them usually often is to have a cheapass keyboard or controller hooked up to them that would likely already have wheels on it.
http://pro.beatport.com/track/semantics ... mix/361768