I'd love a Roland Boutiuqe Vocoder Plus reissue...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

I'd love a Roland Boutiuqe Vocoder Plus reissue...

Post by jcn7 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi all, so I ended up purchasing a Roland JP08 and JU06 and I really love what Roland has done with these classics...I know that there are some rumors of some boutique drums boxes, and if they end up remaking some of those classics I think that they will sell well as well as a cool move on their part.

This new boutique line though has gotten me to think through some of their old products, and the one that still stands out to me as a classic that is still sought after is the old Roland Vocoder Plus. I would love to see Roland reissue this in their boutique line. We could really use a stringer/vox machine in this small footprint...I think it would be a natural...but it would need more than 4 voice polyphony and maybe that is an issue with these boutique series?

What do you all think?

What would you all like to see as new boutique devices?

Just my 2 cents...but I hope the folks at Roland are thinking along these lines.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: I'd love a Roland Boutiuqe Vocoder Plus reissue...

Post by garranimal » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:39 pm

This would be great. Just pop the vocoder model from the VT-3 into it, add the strings and choir models with the ensemble. Done. For me it HAS to model the paraphonic voicing of the original. I would be all over this.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I second all of the above. I would also add, though, that the SVC 350 is slightly different and has some very cool features. I'd love to see a reissue of that rare beauty.

Here's a cool video of the SVC used with a JUNO 60 and 808. Very unique sounding...can't think of too many other devices that can create those tones.

Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Are you after the vocoder section, or are you just longing for the strings and choir stuff?

The Yamaha C-405/605 home organs have a Choir patch on board which could be a very good replacement for the VP-330's Human Voice section, and the strings are pretty decent as well. There's only the bulk of a two-manual home organ but I'm sure it can be had for next to nothing.

And there is the semi-portable C-605P.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Are you after the vocoder section, or are you just longing for the strings and choir stuff?

The Yamaha C-405/605 home organs have a Choir patch on board which could be a very good replacement for the VP-330's Human Voice section, and the strings are pretty decent as well. There's only the bulk of a two-manual home organ but I'm sure it can be had for next to nothing.

And there is the semi-portable C-605P.

Stephen
I simply like each aspect as well as the whole of the Vocoder plus. I'm just saying that I think it could make a great addition in the boutique lineup. I'm really not looking for a replacement in anything else. The boutique line is so portable and gives you some very nice emulations...I'm just thinking out loud that the Vocoder Plus would IMHO make a great addition.

I've got all sorts of analog gear including a number of modular systems and spent crazy money to build up my studio gear over the years, but I'm finding that cost/fun factor/sound quality factors really make these boutiques highly desirable. I realize others might feel differently, but I for one hope to see more models come out in this lineup and I think a "stringer" (along w/vocoder and vox)is a great addition. The Vocoder plus IS a classic even though is was very limited.

Again just my 2 cents.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 am

Given that they've included vocoder functions on a lot of their instruments in the last 15 odd years I'm surprised Korg hasn't done a VC10 reissue, or just a separate vocoder box of some sort.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

jcn7

Post by jcn7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:34 pm

tim gueguen wrote:Given that they've included vocoder functions on a lot of their instruments in the last 15 odd years I'm surprised Korg hasn't done a VC10 reissue, or just a separate vocoder box of some sort.
Good point! NaMM is not that far off...who knows?

I'd still like Roland's Vocoder Plus though...the strings and vox were really cool and of course the vocoder was nice too! I still think string machines will make a come back and personally I think there is a market for the old stringers.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:47 pm

I prefer my SVC-350 as in the video I made that was posted above (though I sold THAT particular SVC-350).

I bought Garranimal's VP-330 for the choir and since I sold my RS-505, it's nice to have the strings, too.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Take good care of her, Z. :) The VP-330 chorus ensemble is different from ALL others, as it has FOUR modulated bucket brigade delay paths. This quad-BBD circuit only appears elsewhere on the RS-505 stringer. It is special, and worthy of the ACB treatment.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:48 am

I too would love to see a modern Roland vocoder, but I've owned both the VP-330 and the SVC-350, and I've tried every digital/modeling vocoder I could get my hands on over the years, and I've never heard an emulator get close to the sound of the original Roland analog vocoders. I suspect it's because of the the way the multiple bandpass filters overlap.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm

garranimal wrote:The VP-330 chorus ensemble is different from ALL others, as it has FOUR modulated bucket brigade delay paths. This quad-BBD circuit only appears elsewhere on the RS-505 stringer.
And here: http://www.oakleysound.com/se330.htm

(Tony also has a clone of the voice section.)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh snap, that Oakley is cool. I'm tempted by THAT, but not building any more stuff. Roland better reissue this thing.

I made a plugin of the choir/strings/ensemble called the VSP-330. What I learned that would apply to a Boutique emulation, there is A LOAD of processing that would need to happen:
- for full paraphony, a top-octave divide down voicing circuit.
- Strings LP filter
- 7 steep bandpass filters for the Choir, like 8-pole. This took A LOT of processing in my emulation.
- the four modulated delay lines
- envelope needs log curve attack, shared release for Choir/Strings.
- add to that the Vocoder processing for incoming audio. So an AD/DA conversion circuit there. The boutique line has AD converters already but ONLY for audio interface recording purposes, not processed audio.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roland needs to use at least two of their proprietary chips to handle everything, which could mean the price could end up being more than the JP-08. I'd still have it, what's a working VP-330 go for? This would be a gorgeous little unit.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:03 pm

As far as vocoder, I'd love to see something like that. Especially if it had a simple step sequencer onboard.
I am kind of sad about a lot of Roland stuff because it is just so not analog.
Am I the only person that didn't like the 'boutique' line?
I tried them all out. The JX3 was the least objectionable to me but it missed that JX3 magic for my tastes.
The others just didn't have the type of character that I like in vintage 'boutique' gear. Not that you can not make acceptable sounds. They just did not give me visions of staying up til 3am amid the smell of hot analog circuits.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave