Roland JV2080 - user memory damage

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland JV2080 - user memory damage

Postby salwa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:55 pm

As in title - my Jv2080 showed today message "User Memory damaged" along with "battery low". I've changed battery, but everything wass mess (doodles instead of patch names, no sound on some kays). I've done factory reset, but now sytnh plays only few notes (and somehaow mono only), behaves weird and I'm not even sure it sees my cards, because everything is displayed so faintly, that I can barely read it (but backlight works ok). Does any of you had simillar problems? I'm afraid my beloved Roland is now just a fancy paperweight.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Re: Roland JV2080 - user memory damage

Postby RichardReeves » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Your battery that keeps the user settings in RAM when the power is off has died. The bad news is that all user settings have gone (including the display's contrast setting, which is why it looks dim. Look at it from above at a steep angle and you'll be able to read it).

You'll need a CR2032 battery, a Post-It note and a couple of screwdrivers (flat and cross-head).

Switch off the 2080 and take the cover off (the whole thing, not the top plate for the JV80 boards)

The battery is near the front of the PCB below the expansion-board PCB (on the left of the unit as you look from in front).

Tear and put the Post-It note over the circuitry next to the battery (so nothing can short if the battery falls out)

Remove the dead battery (a flat-blade screwdriver is handy)

Thr hard bit - put thr new battery in. Make sure any protective film is removed from the battery and carefully slide it in. It should dip at one end under the retaining clip. Then push the other end down with a screwdriver. I used a pair of pliers with masking tape around one jaw to make sure the new battery wasn't shorted through the pliers.

After that, switch the unit on and press the sequence for a system reset (which I can't remember - it's in the manual somewhere).

I'd like to send photographs, but my 2080 (which had exactly the same problem as yours when I bought it) is wired into my rack and is being used a lot.

Hope that helps!

Richard
RichardReeves

Gear: JV2080, E-Mu Proteus 2k, Yamaha Reface DX, Roland A-500PRO, Prophet 12 Module
Guitars into a Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700 and too many pedals.

Postby RichardReeves » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Sorry - I read the initial post on a small screen and posted a lot about changing the battery, and you've done that (but the bit about protective film on the battery is important!) .

Now I'm in front of my 2080. You can do this without being able to see the display: Press 'System' and the contrast setting will be highlighted by default. Turn the value knob clockwise five clicks and you'll have a contrast setting of 6, which is comfortably visible from the front.

After that, you should be able to work out which patch you have loaded and if it's responding correctly. The battery dying can't damage the unit in any way (I've been over the circuit diagrams, and the battery can have no effect on the preset patches on ROM). The random junk on the display is because the RAM powers up from cold with random data in it. There's probably a checksum test that the 2080 does on power-up, which gives the memory fault error. The RAM chip itself will probably be perfectly happy.

Richard
RichardReeves

Gear: JV2080, E-Mu Proteus 2k, Yamaha Reface DX, Roland A-500PRO, Prophet 12 Module
Guitars into a Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700 and too many pedals.

Postby JeEA » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Try reset.
Look at the roland reset page link

https://www.rolandus.com/assets/press_m ... _Reset.pdf
JeEA

Postby salwa » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, reset did not much - factory presets were there, user presets were mess with strange symbols in names, but still - almost unreadable display, "User memory damaged" error and problems with playing (it played only every second note, first was always muted and there was no way to achieve polyphony). It looks like something (RAM probably) was seriously broken, so I've send it to Roland service. I think now, that battery problem wasn't related to this, it just popped in the same time as whole machine went into zombie state.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
salwa

Postby salwa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Just to end this thread - according to Roland's service this was some sort of "software problem", which they fixed. I don't know any details (I was so happy to have it fixed that I didn't ask any questions), but maybe this was somehow connected to malfunctioning battery. Who knows? Anyway - it doesn't look like something you can fix with soldering iron at home.
salwa

Postby Hss1138 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Just replaced the battery in a Roland JV2080...
Once I did this it came up with memory damage message...
The unit would sound by pressing the volume control, but would not receive any midi messages only the midi light flickered. I adjusted the contrast and everything else was ok, but still could not trigger from a midi keyboard, read the thread in this forum and a link to Roland site was mentioned about a factory reset... it worked!
Thanks for the forum... pulse now slowing down... happy!
Now onto my Korg Triton Extreme... a message came up IC Battery low.... here we go again... aagghhh!
Hss1138

Postby jxalex » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:54 am

If the battery low message appears then it is clear that battery needs change. For low voltage the memory will be garbled.

It is recommended at first always to go to TEST MODE before sending somewhere the unit.
(turn power on, press shift-enter, turn Value knob while holding down the arrowUp AND arrowDown buttons). The test mode runs.
Go to memory test.

I had once the problem that PCM cards were garble. The problem was the cable not sitting tight. But thats the result when having intensive reverse engineering process.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby subhap » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:10 am

I faced exactly the same problem. I removed the top cover. And noted the battery was beneath the expansion boards. I removed all of the 8 expansion boards i have one by one. And removed the screws that supports the expansion board circuit board.

Careful to make sure the bus connectors are intact. I replaced the existing battery with a new CR2032 and placed back everything.

As far loosing my Performance and presets, it is of least concerns, as I use ChangeIT software. Here is the link: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Chan ... ngeIt.html. All of my performance and preset are stored in the software bank files with .syx extensions.

After the unit gets reset, it defaults to : Channel 1 and Device number 17. I had set my Midi channel to 8, and device number to 32. And it works like a charm.

Links to my music: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-illusions

The latest song Beyond Space and Time is : software VSTs. All other songs uses Roland JV 2080 in combination with Korg Arranger.
subhap

Postby Kujotek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm

I experienced the same memory damage/low battery issue. I'm bummed that I lost all of my user data, but I followed RichardReeves instructions and now my 2080 works perfectly. Thank you!! I even was lucky enough to have a brand new CR2032 battery on hand.
Kujotek

Postby Clara » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Hss1138 wrote:Just replaced the battery in a Roland JV2080...
Once I did this it came up with memory damage message...
The unit would sound by pressing the volume control, but would not receive any midi messages only the midi light flickered. I adjusted the contrast and everything else was ok, but still could not trigger from a midi keyboard, read the thread in this forum and a link to Roland site was mentioned about a factory reset... it worked!
Thanks for the forum... pulse now slowing down... happy!
Now onto my Korg Triton Extreme... a message came up IC Battery low.... here we go again... aagghhh!

Hi

Could you advise me please how to personalize an orchestra, I have had the same message about low battery and memory damaged, I have replaced the battery but the orchestras I created have dissapeared. a third party had installed the personal orchestras and I am struggling trying to get this done.its been put to factory settings.
Thank you for any help.

Clara
Clara

Return to General Synthesizers