Digital Drumkits vs Analog Synth Drums

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
varun213

Re: Digital Drumkits vs Analog Synth Drums

Post by varun213 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:17 pm

synthroom wrote:I remember the days when there were basically just composers, musicians, singers, engineers, and producers. And never did one person do all of those jobs

yea i hear ya, now in 2015 everybody and their mothers make music. I'm sure there can be a stat where in every other household there is a self called music artist lol.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:11 pm

I watched one video on youtube of the vermona DRM1 and dude... have you looked at a Roland AIRA TR-8 yet? Almost seems worth it alone for the sidechain input ducker or whatevr that is called on it. That or a Tempest would be my top picks so far, the DRM1 looks pretty limited for what they are going for but probably will sound great on a song or two, has to be sequenced externally it looked like, so get an AIRA TR-8 to sequence it, I'm assuming it can send its parts out midi but I don't know that for sure and you won't want to know either until you already have both since you clearly won't be able to that through your computer without a $5.00 usb cable midi interface which you'd have to spend on a regular cable anyway between the TR-8 and DRM1 anyway... so there you go a reason to have both :D
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

varun213

Post by varun213 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:19 am

Zamise wrote:I watched one video on youtube of the vermona DRM1 and dude... have you looked at a Roland AIRA TR-8 yet? Almost seems worth it alone for the sidechain input ducker or whatevr that is called on it. That or a Tempest would be my top picks so far, the DRM1 looks pretty limited for what they are going for but probably will sound great on a song or two, has to be sequenced externally it looked like, so get an AIRA TR-8 to sequence it, I'm assuming it can send its parts out midi but I don't know that for sure and you won't want to know either until you already have both since you clearly won't be able to that through your computer without a $5.00 usb cable midi interface which you'd have to spend on a regular cable anyway between the TR-8 and DRM1 anyway... so there you go a reason to have both :D
I think I have looked at the Roland TR-8, i thought that was a digital drum machine? I do all my sequencing inside the DAW via midi programming or just playing by the metronome.

The DRM1 is kind of limited that is true, which is my main concern because it might get repetitive. I always felt I could layer light digital samples over the kick drums created by the DRM1 to give different textures, but i love 808/909 type drums/percussion I think you could use those alot.

The tempest is really out of my budget but that thing is one awesome machine.

With that being said would you still say the DRM1 is not worth it? I could use any guidance from you guys.

appreciate it!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:35 am

The DRM is definitely not limited at all, it's capable of a much bigger range of sounds than pretty much any other drum synth out there. But it seems like you shouldn't really buy anything, you keep changing your mind depending on the last thing anyone has said to you. Or just buy anything.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:51 am

varun213 wrote: I think I have looked at the Roland TR-8, i thought that was a digital drum machine? I do all my sequencing inside the DAW via midi programming or just playing by the metronome.
I think you want a TR-8. It's guts are digital, but it has a sophisticated engine that emulates both 808 and 909 drum machines very accurately. Plenty of people find the sound to capture the originals impressively. It's a digital recreation with analog controls (i.e. KNOBS) and you can tweak away. It doesn't have the same pattern chaining feature or triggers of the originals, but it's a powerful tool, especially if you want that sound. And you can find it for about $350 used. Given the description of what you want, it sounds like that's what you're after. Read up on it all you can and listen to demos online.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

varun213

Post by varun213 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:02 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The DRM is definitely not limited at all, it's capable of a much bigger range of sounds than pretty much any other drum synth out there. But it seems like you shouldn't really buy anything, you keep changing your mind depending on the last thing anyone has said to you. Or just buy anything.
Im most attracted to the DRM because of the analog factor.
If there is something better out there I'd definitely go for that but the DRM as the simplicity factor to it. I like the sounds it can produce. Would buy a USED Drm that was used for Demo purposes only? i will save money going that route but I hear analog equipment always needs upkeep after 5 years or something like that?
Last edited by varun213 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

varun213

Post by varun213 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:05 am

Walter Ego wrote:
varun213 wrote: I think I have looked at the Roland TR-8, i thought that was a digital drum machine? I do all my sequencing inside the DAW via midi programming or just playing by the metronome.
I think you want a TR-8. It's guts are digital, but it has a sophisticated engine that emulates both 808 and 909 drum machines very accurately. Plenty of people find the sound to capture the originals impressively. It's a digital recreation with analog controls (i.e. KNOBS) and you can tweak away. It doesn't have the same pattern chaining feature or triggers of the originals, but it's a powerful tool, especially if you want that sound. And you can find it for about $350 used. Given the description of what you want, it sounds like that's what you're after. Read up on it all you can and listen to demos online.
I have looked at it but I really want a drum synth that is fully analog. I would have gotten the TR-8 right away but its not an analog hardware synth which kind of ruined it for me. I can just buy high quality 808 drumkit samples online and use those instead. Unless I'm missing someting?

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:13 am

varun213 wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
I have looked at it but I really want a drum synth that is fully analog. I would have gotten the TR-8 right away but its not an analog hardware synth which kind of ruined it for me. I can just buy high quality 808 drumkit samples online and use those instead. Unless I'm missing someting?
I'm really not trying to be rude, but yes, you're missing something. They're NOT samples. It's a VIRTUAL analog sound generating engine that models the analog technology in those original machines. It's probably higher than the VA instruments in FL. For your purposes (and mine, I might add, since I'm considering one myself), it may as well be analog. The only samples are the same samples that are also samples on the 909. Again, read up on it. Extensively. Better yet, see if you can demo one in a Guitar Center before buying it. Have someone show you how it works or read up on how to program it.

Look, the DRM is probably more flexible. But it's a lot more expensive and it just sounds like you're after a TR-8.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

varun213

Post by varun213 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:45 pm

i'm not trying to be rude but Goldbaby samples sound better than the TR-8 dude lol

I think were good here. Vermona it is!!

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:12 pm

varun213 wrote:
I have looked at it but I really want a drum synth that is fully analog.
if that other stuff is in your budget

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/ ... one-tr-808

varun213

Post by varun213 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 am

recordbot wrote:
varun213 wrote:
I have looked at it but I really want a drum synth that is fully analog.
if that other stuff is in your budget

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/ ... one-tr-808
that one looks really nice. Could you compare it to the Vermona?

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:13 am

varun213 wrote:i'm not trying to be rude but Goldbaby samples sound better than the TR-8 dude lol

I think were good here. Vermona it is!!
:truce:
Walter Ego