**NEW ROLAND ANALOG SYNTH**

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Re: **NEW ROLAND ANALOG SYNTH**

Post by _seph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:I know the originals will always be worth more but it does affect the resale value :|?
I saw an MS20 recently on my local Craigslist for $700, that's only half of what the asking price would have been just a year ago. Now I'm waiting for Odyssey prices to drop 8-)
my local Guitar Center recently took in a mk2 Odyssey and tagged it at $1000, beautiful condition. I spent a couple hours with it reliving memories and may have taken it home were it a mk3

as for this topic, leaks/mistakes do happen. I was the one to stumble across the pre-release pics of the Aira modules from an accidental batch upload to the Aira Facebook group ...but I also did a few quick screen grabs before they were pulled.

I've little interest in reissues but a System-100 with its expanders would be very tempting, if it were real, which I strongly doubt.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:55 pm

With the Boutique just out the door a few months ago, it's impossible that Roland would have had time to crank up a JP MkII project based on Boutique popularity. Announcing vaporware under development, maybe.

9 days left!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:33 pm

It´s doable. The R&D is done. The JDXa has a dedicated PCB for the analogue section. Isn´t it 4 voice poly? Join two PCBs in the same box and there you have it: JP8 MkII. Want a reissue with the same old components? Not gonna happen.
Herrare umanum est.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:45 am

Mooger5 wrote:It´s doable. The R&D is done. The JDXa has a dedicated PCB for the analogue section. Isn´t it 4 voice poly? Join two PCBs in the same box and there you have it: JP8 MkII.
I guess the main issue with that is that the JDXa sounds like a monotron.

Anyway, the main thing to do here is consider the source of this information. Digital Screams is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a melodramatic troll. Anyone who's been here for a long time will remember unfondly when he was more active on the forum.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: I guess the main issue with that is that the JDXa sounds like a monotron.
And by saying that you aren't trolling? Hmm guess not, since it was the Monotron that restarted it all. Five years ago that would have been a compliment to the JD.

Of course Roland will have to add a few more bells and whistles if they wish to compete with DSI. Wouldn't be surprised if they repeat the joke of 1979: Prophets announce the arrival of gods, right? Well, here's Jupiter :mrgreen:
Herrare umanum est.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:24 am

Mooger5 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: I guess the main issue with that is that the JDXa sounds like a monotron.
And by saying that you aren't trolling? Hmm guess not, since it was the Monotron that restarted it all. Five years ago that would have been a compliment to the JD.
I'm not saying it as an insult, I quite like the sound of the monotron. It's just that it's a very different tone to the Jupiter, and tonally the JDXa is closer to the Monotron, in my opinion.

Here's a demo:

Have a listen to the sound of the filter, it's got that raw, slightly nasal Korg kind of sound to it, as opposed to the smoother, more focussed sound that the Jupiter has:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:...the main thing to do here is consider the source of this information. Digital Screams is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a melodramatic troll. Anyone who's been here for a long time will remember unfondly when he was more active on the forum.
QFT

however, giving him the benefit of doubt... perhaps he was confused by the new System-100 overlays for the System-1/1m

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am

_seph wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:...the main thing to do here is consider the source of this information. Digital Screams is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a melodramatic troll. Anyone who's been here for a long time will remember unfondly when he was more active on the forum.
QFT

however, giving him the benefit of doubt... perhaps he was confused by the new System-100 overlays for the System-1/1m
Yeah that's probably it. Mystery solved!

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: I'm not saying it as an insult, I quite like the sound of the monotron. It's just that it's a very different tone to the Jupiter, and tonally the JDXa is closer to the Monotron, in my opinion.
[...]
Have a listen to the sound of the filter, it's got that raw, slightly nasal Korg kind of sound to it, as opposed to the smoother, more focussed sound that the Jupiter has:
I see. Thanks.
Herrare umanum est.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Digital Screams is, to put it bluntly, a bit of a melodramatic troll. Anyone who's been here for a long time will remember unfondly when he was more active on the forum.
:lol:

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Have a listen to the sound of the filter, it's got that raw, slightly nasal Korg kind of sound to it, as opposed to the smoother, more focussed sound that the Jupiter has:
Of course we'd not expect JD-Xa to sound quite like JP-8 (esp given DCO vs VCO and old filter/components vs new on SMT board), however, I think many of the online JD-Xa demos are underselling its great tone (it's a very programmer dependent board, neither presets nor bad trance patches show it well).

I've played one and the analog side is really quite juicy, and I even found it held my interest musically and engine wise over the Prophet 6! :shock: , the resonance on the high end isn't the sweetest ever, the oscs are a bit stable, but it can get into the roland analog sound just fine in many cases, especially if you were to be recording it rather than a/bing it in isolation next to an SH-2 or JP-8. I think the filter sounds more Roland than any Korg I've ever touched, it has "the roland sound" (both analog and digital).

I really like the Xa, would have no problems with an 8 voice pure analog based on those analog voices, but actually it may interest me less after the Xa as that board can do some serious sound design vs a straight analog, also it would no doubt cost a lot more and that MAY put it out of reach for me (depending on keybed size, build quality and extra toys for your money). If it went the DSI route with P6/OB6 for similar cash I'd honestly rather have the JD-Xa for less, but if it gives enough modulation, keys, and what you expect for a $3000 synth then yes, it would be a bargain. Having said that, XA would still be more interesting for actual sound design.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:28 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
Roland Jupiter 8 MKII is also in the works.

I'm not bullshitting.
There is a rumor that Roland will be unveiling a real analog Jupiter 10 in a few days at Musikmesse.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 am

AnalogKid wrote:
DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
Roland Jupiter 8 MKII is also in the works.

I'm not bullshitting.
There is a rumor that Roland will be unveiling a real analog Jupiter 10 in a few days at Musikmesse.
Well I didn't believe it could be true but here it is!