Page 1 of 3

Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:31 pm
by meatballfulton
There's been a leak of the synth Yamaha will be announcing at NAMM.

http://www.onlinedigeditions.com/public ... 6673&p=224

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-first-glimpse/

The big news: two synth engines, one AWM2 (samples) and FM-X :dancer: =D> :yahoo:

Image

Also:
--- 61, 76 or 88 keys
--- color touch screen
--- endless encoders
--- double the polyphony (256 voices?)
--- ten times the flash storage (20GB?)
--- compatible with Motif libraries

No mention of a sequencer or audio interfacing :shock:

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm
by ItsMeOnly
meatballfulton wrote: --- endless encoders
...and matrix interface, which isn't something particularly bad, but still gives me shivers after CS1x ;-)

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 pm
by tim gueguen
If Montage is replacing the Motif I wonder if in 10 years we won't see the Montage replaced by the Mongrel. (If someone should decide Mongrel would be a cool name for some piece of musical equipment I want royalties!)

The purpled coloured control and the overall design make me think of the old SY series stuff from the '80s and early '90s.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:23 am
by Alex E
No AN engine? :(

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:32 am
by coastalscrub
It would be great to have a 21st century EX5 with a touch screen that took cues from the V-synth.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:44 am
by Z
meatballfulton wrote: No mention of a sequencer or audio interfacing :shock:
No sequencer.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:53 am
by Broadwave
WOW!! - TWO synth engines - Korg must be quaking in their boots ;)

I'd hoped Montage would have been a game changer, or at least something to rival Kronos :(

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:45 am
by Hybrid88
coastalscrub wrote:It would be great to have a 21st century EX5 with a touch screen that took cues from the V-synth.
I've been saying for years that we need more screens like that on the V-Synth, after that everything else just seems archaic. :?

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:35 pm
by desmond
Even Rocky had a Montage...

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm
by LordVampyre
no minikeys... well, Im not interested ;)

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm
by shaft9000
if access to the FM engine is thorough and elegant, I'm there.
rattling my brain to remember - what else besides oasys and the dx programmer has offered a fully exploitable FM interface? EX5 or SY77/99?

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 pm
by vicd
shaft9000 wrote:rattling my brain to remember - what else besides oasys and the dx programmer has offered a fully exploitable FM interface? EX5 or SY77/99?

Alesis' Fusion has 6op FM, but severely lacks in the knobs department. Nonetheless, parameters are realtime-editable and mappable.

Kurzweil's VAST (running on more recent engines) also allows building FM stuff with realtime control - either from scratch, or utilizing off-the-shelf stuff.

Oh yeah, no native FM on EX5. So probably the SY/TG (but I would not call that "fully exploitable").

Add also Nord Lead 3.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 pm
by Bitexion
It's basically a Motif with an added FM engine I think? No bad thing of course.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:44 am
by Stab Frenzy
vicd wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:rattling my brain to remember - what else besides oasys and the dx programmer has offered a fully exploitable FM interface? EX5 or SY77/99?

Alesis' Fusion has 6op FM, but severely lacks in the knobs department. Nonetheless, parameters are realtime-editable and mappable.

Kurzweil's VAST (running on more recent engines) also allows building FM stuff with realtime control - either from scratch, or utilizing off-the-shelf stuff.

Oh yeah, no native FM on EX5. So probably the SY/TG (but I would not call that "fully exploitable").

Add also Nord Lead 3.
Also the Nord Modular G2 and Prophet 12 to a certain extent.

Re: Yamaha Montage synthesizer --- with FM engine!

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 pm
by Zamise
What does superman have under his tights? ... a Superknob dootodo dootity dooo

FMx the alien technology from this article?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/06/n ... interview/