Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by blavatsky » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Saw this discussed in the new for 2016 thread, starting a separate one for more disucssion...
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... view-demo/

Looks very nice for $500

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 am

...I'll be in my bunk.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 am

I really hope it outputs clock!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:33 am

There's already a demo up on YouTube. By the way, you should sub to this guy's channel. He demos a lot of cool stuff. Most of his videos are in French. This is the first one I've seen in English.

The instrument seems to be a Volca Keys on some Mark McGwire-strength steroids. :lol:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:50 am

As far as I can see:
Pros
- Sounds really quite nice
- Sync in and out so it'll play nicely with Volcas/Monotribe/Modular
- Wave shaping on all osc waveforms!
- Audio input
- Really nice controller layout, everything's right there
- Cheap!
Cons
- It's fugly. Sorry, it looks like a spoon snow plow. :(
- Wood on the back panel looks confused "Why aren't I on the sides?"
- No aftertouch and no mod wheel. :(
- Minikeys are no good for people with sausage fingers like myself Oh wait they're the medium sized ones like on the MS20 mini, not so bad.

My verdict: I would like one in MS2000 size please Korg. I look forward to mixing a thousand indie bands where the bass player (or the singer) plays one of these on a couple of songs. Ah screw it, I'll probably buy one at some point.
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:51 am

zmd wrote:I really hope it outputs clock!
It does.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 am

This sweetwater demo is really quite good.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:As far as I can see:
Pros
- Sounds really quite nice
- Sync in and out so it'll play nicely with Volcas/Monotribe/Modular
- Wave shaping on all osc waveforms!
- Audio input
- Really nice controller layout, everything's right there
- Cheap!
Cons
- It's fugly. Sorry, it looks like a spoon snow plow. :(
- Wood on the back panel looks confused "Why aren't I on the sides?"
- No aftertouch and no mod wheel. :(
- Minikeys are no good for people with sausage fingers like myself Oh wait they're the medium sized ones like on the MS20 mini, not so bad.

My verdict: I would like one in MS2000 size please Korg. I look forward to mixing a thousand indie bands where the bass player (or the singer) plays one of these on a couple of songs. Ah screw it, I'll probably buy one at some point.
Well the cons are a matter of taste, I've never heard a musical sounding example of aftertouch apart from on the CS-80 so unless it's going to be that why do people still get hung up on it? I doubt anyone that complains about the lack of it would ever use it much anyway and if you do go and buy something fancy like a ROLI Seaboard, that's not what this is supposed to be.

As for the looks, again depends on your taste, I think it's just perfect, the bit of wood on the back looks tasteful. Why should they do it like everyone else on the sides? For once it *isn't* trying to look like something else and I think that's a damn good thing.

For the price and what it is there really is no valid complaint for this. Seriously considering getting one if they are a decent price over here :)

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:27 am

I just bought a JP-08 about a month ago.

While I don't have buyer's remorse, I do like the look of this new instrument and can't help but wanting to buy it. I doubt I will (yet), but the temptation is very strong.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:54 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Well the cons are a matter of taste, I've never heard a musical sounding example of aftertouch apart from on the CS-80 so unless it's going to be that why do people still get hung up on it? I doubt anyone that complains about the lack of it would ever use it much anyway and if you do go and buy something fancy like a ROLI Seaboard, that's not what this is supposed to be.
I'm sure you've heard hundreds of very musical examples of aftertouch use but you just haven't realised it. It's by far the most musical way of introducing modulation, much more so than a mod wheel. The best way to use aftertouch isn't directly controlling a parameter with it, rather to use it to control the amount of an envelope or LFO. I use aftertouch all the time, in fact I'd rather have aftertouch than velocity on a keyboard.
Hybrid88 wrote:As for the looks, again depends on your taste, I think it's just perfect, the bit of wood on the back looks tasteful. Why should they do it like everyone else on the sides? For once it *isn't* trying to look like something else and I think that's a damn good thing.

For the price and what it is there really is no valid complaint for this. Seriously considering getting one if they are a decent price over here :)
I totally agree the looks thing is a matter of taste, and maybe it'll grow on me. What do you think the chances are of it being a decent price in AU? My guess is $899, the dollar has been tanking lately. Still that would be cheaper than the Microkorg was when it came out.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:46 am

I love this blurb on Sweetwater's site:
Sweetwater Sales Department wrote:Due to the astounding popularity of this spectacular new analog synth, the first shipment that we received from Korg is already completely sold out. Without a doubt, there will be continued high demand for the minilogue, so please don't hesitate to place your order with us so that we can secure for you the best possible place in line - and ship your new Korg minilogue from Sweetwater's earliest possible shipment.
Overselling? Maybe a little. :lol:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Well the cons are a matter of taste, I've never heard a musical sounding example of aftertouch apart from on the CS-80 so unless it's going to be that why do people still get hung up on it? I doubt anyone that complains about the lack of it would ever use it much anyway and if you do go and buy something fancy like a ROLI Seaboard, that's not what this is supposed to be.
I'm sure you've heard hundreds of very musical examples of aftertouch use but you just haven't realised it. It's by far the most musical way of introducing modulation, much more so than a mod wheel. The best way to use aftertouch isn't directly controlling a parameter with it, rather to use it to control the amount of an envelope or LFO. I use aftertouch all the time, in fact I'd rather have aftertouch than velocity on a keyboard.
Fair enough, thing is with my V-Synth the aftertouch either seems off or on, really hard to get it sounding smooth. Which is why I don't use it a lot, if it was like a CS-80 however, well, different story.
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:As for the looks, again depends on your taste, I think it's just perfect, the bit of wood on the back looks tasteful. Why should they do it like everyone else on the sides? For once it *isn't* trying to look like something else and I think that's a damn good thing.

I totally agree the looks thing is a matter of taste, and maybe it'll grow on me. What do you think the chances are of it being a decent price in AU? My guess is $899, the dollar has been tanking lately. Still that would be cheaper than the Microkorg was when it came out.
Yeah the AUS dollar is taking a massive hit, hate to say it but I reckon they'll price it just short of a grand RRP :facepalm:

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Very interesting . Something reminds me alot of my orginal microkorg(that I still love) here. Maybe its the sequencer (arp) buttons or its filter sound in some ways by the demo vids. I love the PONG power on screen when turned on and the scope on this. Wonder how deep the strings and pads will go ? I love the memory on here but I really wish it was 6 voices. I also have a boutique and have no buyers remorse because it sounds great.
Living the Electro Life

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:14 pm

That sweetwater demo was excellent. I'm really impressed with the sound of this synth and the amount of features they crammed into it. Might have to pick one up.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Pwm and wave shaping on the rest . Done sold , take my money Korg . You win again this year

Dry maybe , but more informative video ...

Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media