Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Check this out from Sweetwater:
Due to the astounding popularity of this spectacular new analog synth, the first shipment that we received from Korg is already completely sold out. Without a doubt, there will be continued high demand for the minilogue, so please don't hesitate to place your order with us so that we can secure for you the best possible place in line - and ship your new Korg minilogue from Sweetwater's earliest possible shipment.
Over 200 sold in less than 24 hours ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:05 am

Walter Ego wrote: It really looks great. I'm wondering what else might be in store from Korg...

Prologue: The Pro version. With 8 voices. To stem the demand for a JP-8 reissue.

Monologue: Even more streamlined one voice mono.

Dialogue: special cable for polychaining.

Epilogue: More fully featured analog drum machine.

Captainslogue: Special Edition with more LEDs. Makes you feel like you do when you play an AX-80 in a dark room.
:lol: YES :lol:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:07 am

Moog Audio has it up for pre-order. Canadian price is $699. So it looks like the original Microkorg might still have some sales life left, with its current Canadian price at $529. The XL is $679.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:21 am

Well, I ordered one.

Did all the folks that got them from Sweetwater already get midnight phone calls from their sales guy?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:18 am

I got into my whole synth phase later than a lot of guys here (maybe like, 2008ish), and it's just crazy what is available now VS. then for new interesting synth options. I Basically went through a dozen ebay/craiglist synths (older used ones) because there were *Few new affordable, interesting synths out there in the mainstream....

Cut to 2016 - I no longer have the bandwidth to buy fun new gear -and there are new analog/interesting synth options popping up every month :ugeek:

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:00 am

meatballfulton wrote:Well, I ordered one.

Did all the folks that got them from Sweetwater already get midnight phone calls from their sales guy?
Sweetwater scared me away with their oh-my-god-it's-already-sold-out hyperbole, so I ordered elsewhere -- and my synth is in transit to me as we speak. Sorry, Sweetwater, but you outsmarted yourselves. :lol:

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 am

commodorejohn wrote:I bet the folks behind the Akai Timbre Wolf are feeling a little nervous...
Starting with the fact that the street price of the Timbre Wolf and the minilogue are the same? Yeah, that's pretty embarrassing for Akai. I had the Timbre Wolf for literally a day and returned it. It's a terrible synth.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:21 pm

does anybody know when this will be available in europe? thomann.de doesn't list it on their website yet.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:07 pm

blavatsky wrote:I got into my whole synth phase later than a lot of guys here (maybe like, 2008ish), and it's just crazy what is available now VS. then for new interesting synth options. I Basically went through a dozen ebay/craiglist synths (older used ones) because there were *Few new affordable, interesting synths out there in the mainstream....

Cut to 2016 - I no longer have the bandwidth to buy fun new gear -and there are new analog/interesting synth options popping up every month :ugeek:
If it hadn't been for Korg looking back to the past, I'm not sure we'd be here. The Microkorg started the entire resurgence as we know it.

It wasn't because they were first, but holy f**k! they were good enough, and cheap (something Korg has done since the beginning).

I wasn't there in the 70s, but you can find in Synth Britannia and other docs how the Minikorg700s altered the landscape for most musicians. It was the first synth they could actually afford or make payments on.

Perhaps someone who was there at the time could elaborate on that.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:46 pm

I really like the sound of his thing. In the French demo I can hear a lot of Detroit techno sounds like Carl Craig's Landcruising, Drexciya, or any of the Detroit Escalator Company stuff. Very cool.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:59 pm

I'm still thinking about financial side of Minilogue (probably because I can't afford one :) ). Korg's profit margin must be very, very low, I wonder, how many units they need to sell just to recoup investment. If it was their first analog synth for many years, I would even think, that they actually don't make any money, but try to create a market for analog synths. But that's not the point here. I think their strategy is risky, but on the other side - timing was perfect: just before NAMM, when many people looking on their wallets, thinking "does I really need to eat everyday" and impatiently look at websites, waiting for the call to trigger "Buy now" button... Perfect. Chapeau bas to Korg.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Post by joeboy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:09 am

IIRC the monotribe originally didn't have S+H either but that came with an update. Maybe we can expect the same thing here?

In any case these demos are great. This is mighty tempting.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:51 am

Depends on whether the LFO's software-generated or an actual hardware oscillator.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 am

salwa wrote:I'm still thinking about financial side of Minilogue (probably because I can't afford one :) ). Korg's profit margin must be very, very low, I wonder, how many units they need to sell just to recoup investment. ...
I think a lot of the technology was already there in the Volca Keys and other machines. So it's not as if Korg was simply building a machine from scratch. And whatever the break-even number is, they'll get it. If this forum and others are any indication, people are already slapping down the cash for the minilogue in huge numbers.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:37 am

Aaron2 wrote:
salwa wrote:I'm still thinking about financial side of Minilogue (probably because I can't afford one :) ). Korg's profit margin must be very, very low, I wonder, how many units they need to sell just to recoup investment. ...
I think a lot of the technology was already there in the Volca Keys and other machines. So it's not as if Korg was simply building a machine from scratch. And whatever the break-even number is, they'll get it. If this forum and others are any indication, people are already slapping down the cash for the minilogue in huge numbers.
As far as I know they did that. At least VCO and filter are new designs and not Volca's derivatives.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl