Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:29 pm

Oh and thanks for those demos, Meatballfulton. I think my personal biggest gripe (with so many Korg synths) is no sustain input on a polysynth (not even via midi, what were they thinking).

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Post by rsaintjohn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:41 am

meatballfulton wrote: 2. Sequence Switching
While not at all a groovebox, for DJ remix effects you can with practice get seamless switching between patches with sequences running. This example has three patches using the same sequence. I switched between patches in real time. I could have also used the same sound with different sequences. The patches were adjacent, because you have to select patches with a knob.
Switching between patches
Don't forget you can assign Programs to the buttons as Favorite Programs, though I'm not sure the switch between them is as seamless as the knob.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:41 pm

rsaintjohn wrote:Don't forget you can assign Programs to the buttons as Favorite Programs, though I'm not sure the switch between them is as seamless as the knob.
That does work for selecting nonadjacent patches but the timing to get clean transitions is still up your skill. Totally old school in that regard.

Also, each patch must have the same tempo. A new patch always overrides the tempo knob.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Haven't been on the forums in a while, glad to see they're not dead! Thanks for the demos and quirks, meatball, and everyone else who pointed out issues.

I was excited about it, $500 USD poly with VCOs and a bunch of cool features, but I figured there'd be some issues, looks like I was right. Hopefully they get it ironed out, still a cool synth for a ridiculous price, and the main designer seems to be innovative

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Automatic Gainsay has started a series of videos on the ML. He starts with the VCOs, what I think is the best part of this synth.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:27 am

These dudes know what's up with envelopes :thumbright:

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Hm I'm still strongly considering to get the Minilogue. is this envelope reset problem somethinng they can fix with a software update? I mean, I am not a big keyboard player, and if I do, I mostly play with short attack times anyway... but it is still strange behaviour.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Well, it's always-start-from-zero behaviour. Which is rather unnatural, yes.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:54 pm

It's easier to code - maybe that's why they went with it, as then you don't have to rescale attack part of the envelope to go from current level. Maybe that fancy oscilloscope thingy has eaten all resources ;-)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm

pflosi wrote:Well, it's always-start-from-zero behaviour. Which is rather unnatural, yes.
but the way I see it, it would be only a matter if the attack time is pretty long, or not? 600eur is a big investement for me, so I want to be as informed as possible... but most of the demos of the synth I find on youtube sound lovely. perfect for my needs (techno).
adamstan wrote:It's easier to code - maybe that's why they went with it, as then you don't have to rescale attack part of the envelope to go from current level. Maybe that fancy oscilloscope thingy has eaten all resources ;-)
mhm... I still wonder if this is something they can fix with an update or is it down to hardware components?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Soul_Processor wrote:but the way I see it, it would be only a matter if the attack time is pretty long, or not?
It's not the length of the attack so much as it is the level the start-from-zero cuts from, because that's how loud of a pop/cut you're going to hear.
mhm... I still wonder if this is something they can fix with an update or is it down to hardware components?
Depends on whether the envelopes are software-generated (seems likely at this price, but who knows) or hardware (fits in more with their 100%-analogue kick.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:10 pm

None of the analogue hardware envelope designs, that I'm aware of, exhibit this "always-from-0" behaviour - it would require adding some extra reset circuit to deliberately discharge timing capacitor at each gate/trigger pulse. So probably just lazy coding :-) Or they wanted that effect, exactly for producing some extra click/pop - which seems to fit with Minilogues aggresive, "dancey" attitude.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 pm

The envelopes are without doubt software, which means they could theoretically be updated to not reset with key on, but I don't know if Korg will do that so don't buy one thinking that it's ever going to do anything that it doesn't do now.

I'd be interested to know what the envelopes in the Microkorg do on a new note, seeing as this is basically an analogue Microkorg.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:23 am

adamstan wrote:None of the analogue hardware envelope designs, that I'm aware of, exhibit this "always-from-0" behaviour
Cwejman CTG-VC can do it :thumbright:

I'll check the Microkorg later.

I also suspect lazy coding is the culprit. Or general ignorance :mrgreen:

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:01 am

Does this mean the envelopes in Minilogue is digital (and probably delay) not analogue? Only VCO, VCA and VCF.