Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soul_Processor

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by Soul_Processor » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:25 am

PS: the delay is really way too noisy in my opinion, I'd rather use my EHX memory boy for something more than subtle echo...

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:22 pm

I was wondering what is the general consensous here on this synth now that some months has passed since its release...I am tempted but here in Europe is 600 euros, which is quite expensive for me compared with the USA price, addying 300 or 400 euros the used market has some interesting offerings here in the modern analog domain, Prophet 08 module is the first that comes to mind...

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:54 pm

I had a chance to test drive it yesterday at my home.
First the good stuff:
-It has one of the best sounding square waves I've hear. Really clean, hollow, electric
-the PWM sounds great
-the mod sequencer is its saving grace
-modulating delay time is fun
-oscilloscope
-knobs and switches feel sturdy
-it looks very, very nice
-I actually like the keyboard (the action could be a bit deeper, but it's ok) - the minikeys don't bother me as much as I thought
-knob pickup mode

the bad stuff:
-it sounds rather thin, metallic but that is not necessary a bad thing.
-there is a low-freq rumble/pop (not the clicking envelopes) that appears to be quite random and it is most present on polyphonic string patches (this sucks the most)
-the filters just don't justify their "analog pedigree". Boring to death. There are plenty of software synths with far better filters
-no mod wheel
-the mod/pitch stick feels like it will break apart in a few days
-the knob pickup mode is great as said, but when engaged one doesn't have any idea in which direction to turn the knob to get to the stored value. The stored value needs to be displayed when you turn the knob, so you know where to turn it. This can be corrected in the future update, though.
-mono staccato mode exhibits the same low-end pops and they only dissapear when you engage legato mode (portamento at least 0)
-there is great unevenness in the frequency spectrum - certain frequencies jump out.
-the sweet spot is very narrow
-the delay is extremely noisy and mono
-no stereo spread of voices

I understand we can't expect much more from a budget analog poly like Minilogue, but really I'd take for example any of the Nord Leads from 2 up anyday over Miniloque. I also feel that Korg's own MS2000 sounds warmer, although it also suffers from a terrible filter. To me it simply doesn't deliver what we usually expect from analogue synths - warm, round, juicy sound. Maybe it represents a new era of analog sound, who knows. But I prefer the old, creamy sound.

Just my 2 cents.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Of course a Nord Lead A1 costs $1700 and a Lead 4 is $2300...even used Nord Lead keyboards run in the $1000 range.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Of course a Nord Lead A1 costs $1700 and a Lead 4 is $2300...even used Nord Lead keyboards run in the $1000 range.
Nord Lead 2 can be had for $700 secon hand and it sound better in my opinion. It is raw, but still refined and has a very wide sweet spot. It's difficult to make it sound bad.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for the thorough review Rokk. Can't say I've been very interested anyway, but perhaps if I was just starting out I'd be all over it.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:51 pm

Rokk wrote:Nord Lead 2 can be had for $700 second hand
I'm not going to argue here about variations in used prices, but for someone who has only $500 to spend, $700 might as well be $7000. I remember saving for years to get my first synth which was $400, $700 was totally out of reach. I'm only talking prices here...not taking sound into consideration because that is subjective.

Within a year we'll see used MLs selling for under $400 (I flipped mine for $475, took under six hours to sell).

Why I flipped it:

1. 4 voices is not enough for me, that was obvious in about an hour of playing.
2. The unusual MIDI implementation doesn't play well with my master keyboard.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rsaintjohn
Gear: Roland System 100, 500 & 8. Casio CZ & HT; Moog Sub37 & Minitaur. Korg minilogue. Yamaha MK-100. Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Band: ceeZED

Post by rsaintjohn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Rokk wrote:there is a low-freq rumble/pop (not the clicking envelopes) that appears to be quite random and it is most present on polyphonic string patches (this sucks the most)
Try setting the LFO Key Sync to OFF in Program Edit, button 3 for these patches. It often helps get rid of that thump in the poly presets.

Robert
--
Robert Saint John
Cleveland, OH USA

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Rokk wrote:Nord Lead 2 can be had for $700 second hand
I'm not going to argue here about variations in used prices, but for someone who has only $500 to spend, $700 might as well be $7000. I remember saving for years to get my first synth which was $400, $700 was totally out of reach. I'm only talking prices here...not taking sound into consideration because that is subjective.

Within a year we'll see used MLs selling for under $400 (I flipped mine for $475, took under six hours to sell).

Why I flipped it:

1. 4 voices is not enough for me, that was obvious in about an hour of playing.
2. The unusual MIDI implementation doesn't play well with my master keyboard.
The question is: why to make a 4 voice analog synth which costs 600 eur if it is obviously possible to make a VA synth which sounds better and has more voices for similar price or just a bit more. Think Korg MS2000, Alesis Ion, Novation Mininova,...
I'd buy it even if it has only four voices if these voices would beat the VA's mentioned or softsynths I use, but it simply doesn't. But sure, "analog" sells these days and analog propaganda makes people believe it sounds great if it's analog. I personally don't care about the analog hype. If it sounds good and its digital, so what? If it sounds good it is good. I love a good analog sound, sure, but I also love a good digitally done analog sound.
You know, when I think of Minilogue's sound I think it's like when you're used to good vintage equalizer sound like Neve, Pultec, Api, etc and then someone is trying to make you believe that an EQ on a cheap Mackie or Behringer mixer sounds great because it's analog.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Because people will buy anything that says "analogue" on it regardless.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Even digital stuff that says "analogue" on it. :mrgreen:

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 am

hahaha analog backlash! For years people wanted afordable analog gear and now we have and people are now complaining. Is virtual analog better now than analog? I think that it is unfair synths based on their sound generation method, it should be more about their overal features plus sound and price. I most cerainly expect more out of a 1000 dollar than a 500.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 am

I really like the synth and I think for the price, it is really good. where it really shines in my opinion are modulation heavy patches with all 4 motion seq lanes doing something + LFO + ENV modulation. you can get pretty nice evolving sounds out of it.

I haven't yet managed to create really fat bass sounds with it, but judging from the presets, it is well possible, so I just will have to learn to program it better. :)

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:39 pm

The mono modes are the key to fat bass, it stacks up the VCOs with some acting as suboscs, pretty slick idea. As a monosynth it has more heft than it does as a polysynth. It's not quite as full featured as a mono as the BSII, but the BSII cannot become a poly with the flick of a switch :lol:

If you want "modern" sounds with crazy modulations and effects, a miniNova would be a better purchase. But retro is hip today, so get an ML, record to tape and release some 7" vinyl :dancer:

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Rokk wrote:The question is: why to make a 4 voice analog synth which costs 600 eur if it is obviously possible to make a VA synth which sounds better and has more voices for similar price or just a bit more. Think Korg MS2000, Alesis Ion, Novation Mininova,...
Because Korg already have. In fact, the King Korg, original microKORG and XL+ version are still available in most stores.