Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by Hyde » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Cool little machine.. Almost seems too big to be portable & too small to be really useful, though. Of course, we all work differently....
Makin' Noises

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: I've never heard a musical sounding example of aftertouch apart from on the CS-80 so unless it's going to be that why do people still get hung up on it
I like having it. The advantage of AT is that it is literally under your fingers at all times. When playing two handed, the only other controllers available are expression pedals.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Check this out from Sweetwater:
Due to the astounding popularity of this spectacular new analog synth, the first shipment that we received from Korg is already completely sold out. Without a doubt, there will be continued high demand for the minilogue, so please don't hesitate to place your order with us so that we can secure for you the best possible place in line - and ship your new Korg minilogue from Sweetwater's earliest possible shipment.
Korg web page is up!

Manuals too!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:04 pm

First gotcha: MIDI CC assignments are not only non-standard, arguably non-compliant. This is unusual for Korg.

Why are we seeing lots of new synths that won't play nice in systems with multiple MIDI devices? I can see a big market for MIDI filter boxes.

CC1 controls noise level...that means it is hardwired to mod wheel :shock:

CC2 (breath control) controls VCO1 pitch

CC4 (foot pedal) controls VCO1 shape

CC5 (portamento time)controls VCO2 shape (see CC65 below)

CC7 (volume) controls VCO 1 level...they had plenty of unused CCs they could have used instead, but nooooooo :banghead:

CC10 (pan) controls Pitch EG intensity

CC11 (expression pedal) controls filter cutoff...why didn't they make this one CC1? :roll:

CC64 (sustain) controls VCO1 octave :help: so you can throw your sustain pedal away

CC65 (portamento on/off) controls VCO2 octave so no MIDI control of portamento. BTW you can lock portamento to tempo, never seen that before =D>

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:15 pm

:lol: That is pure stupidity.

I always hated Korg for not including actual sustain pedal inputs on lots of their synths, but hardwiring CC64 to the VCO octave is just... baffling... :dontknow:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:38 pm

As someone said, it seems very Microkorg-ey. (But knobbier, so yay for that.) Mostly looks like a good deal, but it repeats the Polysix's weird design choice of allowing only one LFO destination, and it seems like there's no way to tell it that you want pitch or shape modulation on one oscillator but not the other. Kind of a baffling oversight. And 37 keys is small even for a four-voice poly.

That said, that's a h**l of a lot of synth for $500, and the sound is good.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

After a quick look at the manual and watching the videos, I'm just about ready to order. The MIDI CC thing is not quite a show stopper but a very serious problem, making all the controllers of my master keyboard...mod wheel and sustain pedal topping the list...useless is not making me a happy camper :pissed: Yeah, I wish it had more than four voices but at that price, I can give Korg a pass.

I really, really, really like that this is a new synth and not a clone of a vintage piece. I love the extensive digital control which is what every modern synth should have. Some things are super clever: subosc mode, preset chord mode, dual-purpose HPF, polyphonic step sequencer :dancer:, two knob pickup modes, the assignable slider...

I am very glad I held off and did not buy an MS20mini, a Karp or a Boutique (not to mention a Brute or BS-II). This is going to be way, way better even with the stupid minikeys.

I'm also eating my words about the ability to make an analog poly for the price of a microKorg. I'm sure Korg has shaved the profit margin to the bone and hopes to make money on sheer quantity.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:23 pm

FWIW, American Musical Supply has an arrival date of 1/30.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:56 pm

My bandmate bought one yesterday, and he set it up in my studio over lunch.

So these are my impressions, based on about a half an hour to an hour of mucking about.
Keep in mind, I had no manual for the unit, only a quickstart 'flyer' that is in the box. No manual was online yet.

PROS-

-Build qualty. Feels like a $1000 unit not a $500 one, save for the little keys. Knobs feel much sturdier than my MS2000 ever was, the top-plate is metal and the wood(?) seems rather elegant.
A wink to Kilpatrick Audio and Waldorf in the UI & font/aesthetic, for sure.
It feels like a darned serious effort, lacks the typical 'getting started' decals for in-store mouthbreathers, and has no genre-centric functions. Lingo is kept to fairly academic synthesis terms, so it doesn't feel dumbed down like mK or volcas, boutique or novation can at times.

-Oscillators. RingMod, Cross-Mod, bi-polar EG mod, independent waveshaper on each osc for every waveform...I also detected a sub-osc in some patches but didn't see a panel adjustment for it-but it definitely has one. Phasing is pleasing in a vintage sense; just two saws offest a few microtones sounds pretty psychedelic.

-Filter. Although only a 2/4-pole LPF and no VCO FM, it is musically satisfying. Juicy but not as dirty as volca keys at all. Acidic if desired. Precise but not clinical/sterile sounding. It reminded me of a waldorf pulse at times, and also the wet resonance of the good ole SSM in mono/poly(but plays nothng like one) at times. Response to EG modulation is lovely - can easily get a classic 70s 'warm throb' or tight wood-block tone when desired.

-Sequencer and FX. I didn't get to dig due to a lack of info available (what does SHIFT do??), but I could hear some electribe-derived 'motion control' i think it records 4 'captures' per patch, but i may be off a little. Sequencer is polyphonic with step-entry, 16steps and rests. I thought I heard glide on a preset somewhere(don't quote that). FX section consists of a back-end (non-resonant afaik)HPF and a delay

CONS-

- LFO - There's just one, with a few destinations. And there is NO SAMPLE AND HOLD. So while a very capable polysynth, it's not quite a full 'proper synthesizer' - but hey a 4-voice polyanalog is bound to cut a corner or 3 at a $500 point.
- mono out. so much for ping-pong FX or osc panning. But again, only $500.
-The pitchbender is naff. seemed to be made of light plastic and is not smooth. No manual means I didn't adjust it's response at all.
- no patch recall buttons, and just a single knob for preset access
- there's probably a dozen other things that are missing or cut down here, like MIDI spec etc - but remember this is only a couple hundred dollar jump from a volca keys. I'd say it's perfectly pro in the studio (just not extensive), and usable at one patch-per-song live.

initial Verdict - korg has hit yet another homer, and more like a 2-3 run.
It won't sell to morons as readily as the mK did, but that's probably a good thing.
Korg is smashing it lately....i'm tempted to get one myself, and if they did a little more feature-laden 8-voice for double the price hoooo mah jeeeebus
Last edited by shaft9000 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:53 pm

No S&H on the LFO is a head scratcher. I noticed that, too.

Amazing that Korg manged to get these to dealers before an official release announcement. Much better than waiting over a year for the Karp. Thank you :yahoo:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:02 pm

meatballfulton wrote:After a quick look at the manual and watching the videos, I'm just about ready to order. The MIDI CC thing is not quite a show stopper but a very serious problem, making all the controllers of my master keyboard...mod wheel and sustain pedal topping the list...useless is not making me a happy camper :pissed: Yeah, I wish it had more than four voices but at that price, I can give Korg a pass.

I really, really, really like that this is a new synth and not a clone of a vintage piece. I love the extensive digital control which is what every modern synth should have. Some things are super clever: subosc mode, preset chord mode, dual-purpose HPF, polyphonic step sequencer :dancer:, two knob pickup modes, the assignable slider...

I am very glad I held off and did not buy an MS20mini, a Karp or a Boutique (not to mention a Brute or BS-II). This is going to be way, way better even with the stupid minikeys.

I'm also eating my words about the ability to make an analog poly for the price of a microKorg. I'm sure Korg has shaved the profit margin to the bone and hopes to make money on sheer quantity.
It really looks great. I'm wondering what else might be in store from Korg...

Prologue: The Pro version. With 8 voices. To stem the demand for a JP-8 reissue.

Monologue: Even more streamlined one voice mono.

Dialogue: special cable for polychaining.

Epilogue: More fully featured analog drum machine.

Captainslogue: Special Edition with more LEDs. Makes you feel like you do when you play an AX-80 in a dark room.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:No S&H on the LFO is Amazing that Korg manged to get these to dealers before an official release announcement. Much better than waiting over a year for the Karp. Thank you :yahoo:
Yep. Mine is on the way already. Apparently, some retailers got a shipment just today. They're out there, folks! :D

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 pm

meatballfulton wrote: I am very glad I held off and did not buy an MS20mini, a Karp or a Boutique (not to mention a Brute or BS-II). This is going to be way, way better even with the stupid minikeys.
i wouldn't say that it's 'better' than a karp or ms-20...modulation is pretty slim, and CV is non-existent but for sync.... better built, maybe?
it's definitely better at polyanalog than any other sub-$1000 new synth, though.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm

I bet the folks behind the Akai Timbre Wolf are feeling a little nervous...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm

shaft9000 wrote:i wouldn't say that it's 'better' than a karp or ms-20...
I wouldn't say that either but every one of those synths had a major showstopper for me. This one doesn't have one yet, though it's close :lol: with the CC mappings.

I'd rather have fewer features but get features I want.
commodorejohn wrote:I bet the folks behind the Akai Timbre Wolf are feeling a little nervous...
Because Korg dealers are already sold out on the first day it's available? :lol: