Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soul_Processor

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by Soul_Processor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I read that these will be sold for over 600EUR in the EU. kind of a bummer, since 500USD is considerably less than 500EUR, but we'll see, when they are in store here.

I'm still very inclined to get one, will probably sell off another synth to finance it. :)

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:41 pm

A pretty good demo, sorry for the french ;)

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Soul_Processor wrote:I read that these will be sold for over 600EUR in the EU. kind of a bummer, since 500USD is considerably less than 500EUR, but we'll see, when they are in store here.

I'm still very inclined to get one, will probably sell off another synth to finance it. :)
yes but remember US prices are posted pre-VAT so in Cal add approx 7% (in NYC almost 9%). and these days 1€= barely $ 1.10.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 pm

okay, didn't know that, but with 7% VAT that would be 535$, so still considerably less than over 600€

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Soul_Processor wrote:okay, didn't know that, but with 7% VAT that would be 535$, so still considerably less than over 600€
You can't apply California VAT on EU prices. It's more like 21% over here.
$500 + 21% VAT = $605 = €554

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:22 pm

If you mail order from an out of state vendor in the USA you don't pay sales tax. Most states legally require you to pay it (in Massachusetts you are supposed to report it on your state income tax form) but very few people comply.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I listened to all the available demos and my initial excitement has gone. I keep asking myself how would Minilogue sound against a really god VA synth, like Nord Lead 4, NL A1, Virus or even Korg's own King Korg. I have to say that I've heard better sounding digital filters than the one in the Minilogue. It kind of reminds me of Nord Lead 2, but with a filter that doesn't kill the low end and volume so much and oscillators that are more alive. But it has this harsh, in your face, cutting tone that I wouldn't necessarily associate with analog. It's not that this is bad, but I need to hear more of it's mellower side, if it exists, because if an analog synth with all it's inherent limitations can't compete with good VA's, then I don't see a point in buying it, although I must admit it is very tempting due to its unique voice modes and form factor.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 am

It's slightly smaller than the Odyssey, so I wonder if an odyssey carrying case could be made to work.
Maybe modify and add a couple of rubber blocks in there
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:12 am

Rokk wrote:But it has this harsh, in your face, cutting tone that I wouldn't necessarily associate with analog. It's not that this is bad, but I need to hear more of it's mellower side, if it exists, because if an analog synth with all it's inherent limitations can't compete with good VA's, then I don't see a point in buying it, although I must admit it is very tempting due to its unique voice modes and form factor.
Yeah, pretty much. It's this more than anything that makes this an "oh, that's cool, maybe I'll play one some day" thing more than an "ooh, I'll buy that!" thing for me. It's not bad, but it seems very much in that kind of "techno/dance-oriented" style of sound that the Microkorg also occupies, and that's not something that interests me particularly.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 pm

has anyone heard a demo from the headphone output? i'm just wondering if there is any stereo effect from the delay or anything from that output...not likely i know
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

pworks

Post by pworks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Picked one of these up on Saturday and had a quick question.
When switching to a init program no matter where vco 2 knob is at
It will not respond to wave, pitch or shape change until the mixer knob is moved
Does this seem normal? I'm aware of the knob modes of jump,catch and scale and have it set to jump mode.
Does switching to a init program automatically default vco 2 off in the mixer section?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:07 am

pworks wrote:Picked one of these up on Saturday and had a quick question.
When switching to a init program no matter where vco 2 knob is at
It will not respond to wave, pitch or shape change until the mixer knob is moved
Does this seem normal? I'm aware of the knob modes of jump,catch and scale and have it set to jump mode.
Does switching to a init program automatically default vco 2 off in the mixer section?
Sounds like it.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:14 am

Just pre ordered one from Kraft . Hope it's sooner than later .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:24 am

FedEx just emailed that mine should arrive Thursday. Guess I'll be holed up in the man-cave all weekend.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:17 pm

okay, so these will be about 599EUR, at least in Germany and Austria, in the stores in February. I think I will go for it. :)