Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog Synth

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 am

Also, some reviewers get a review copy shipped to them a couple weeks in advance to create a positive buzz about it on youtube etc. Or to be able to post a 30 minute sonicstate video the day it's released.

They don't keep the review synths though, have to ship it back within a certain time.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:09 am

this will replace the microkorg as the most used synth on stages everywhere.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Great, I am totally sick of vocoders by now ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:52 pm

This just sold me on it.

[/bbvideo]

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:58 pm

This thing really has a lot of quirks.

Besides the much discussed clicking and CC issues, there's a few more (or is that more than a few?):

-- EG attacks always start at 0, long releases are cut off when voices are stolen.
-- Max EG time under 5 seconds is pretty short, no slow sweeps.
-- Saw wave is an octave up until you move waveshape off 0, then it drops to same octave as other waves.
-- If you do very slow manual filter sweeps there is stepping,1024 steps but it's not smoothed.
-- Slider can only be scaled for pitch bends.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 am

Yeah the "EG starts from 0" part is especially annoying. Somebody on Muffs noticed it, too.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 am

The EG from zero would be annoying, but I can kind of understand why you'd do that on a poly synth. Voice stealing is never gonna be pretty.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The EG from zero would be annoying, but I can kind of understand why you'd do that on a poly synth.
What reason would that be, other than probably an easier implementation on digital envelopes (i.e., you don't have to emulate the behaviour of analog ones)? On the A6, for example, you can choose the behaviour, I never have it set to retrigger at zero. I also hardly use that mode on the CTG-VC...

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Listen to the demos and you won't hear many slow attack/release pads :roll:

The EG reset really sucks when using the mono modes. Actually, for playing mono lines using the duo mode works better :pissed: In poly mode if you are careful you can work around it somewhat. With only four voices you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

I'm on the fence now: keep it and see if Korg comes up a firmware fix for the EG, or return now it and cut my losses.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Hm, I wasn't aware of those issues. Luckily it all comes down to firmware. Let's see how Korg responds to the issues..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 am

pflosi wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The EG from zero would be annoying, but I can kind of understand why you'd do that on a poly synth.
What reason would that be, other than probably an easier implementation on digital envelopes (i.e., you don't have to emulate the behaviour of analog ones)? On the A6, for example, you can choose the behaviour, I never have it set to retrigger at zero. I also hardly use that mode on the CTG-VC...
I'm just thinking that if you play a three note chord with a long attack and decay and then play another three note chord two of your voices on the new chord would be at or near the sustain level and the third would have to come up from zero, which would sound odd I think. It would be a bigger issue for me on a monosynth.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:45 pm

It is an interesting problem. For a long time, I've been using synths with such massive polyphony that I never get voice stealing. I can't even remember how my old 6 and 8 voice synths reacted.

I'll be posting some audio examples of my Minilogue soon so you can hear for yourself some of the quirks.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:This just sold me on it.

[/bbvideo]
Katsunori Ujiee can sell me on ANY synth he reviews. Even though I don't speak a word of Japanese his way of demonstrating while talking makes me understand it anyway. Also if you want a complete acid trip, turn on English subtitles on vids that haven't been subtitled yet.

I really like the little oscilloscope. I wish all synths came with its own oscilloscope. Specially my modular.
It's so nice to see the waveforms react as you play.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:24 pm

OK, here's some short clips showing some different aspects of the Minilogue.

1. Delay
The onboard delay is pretty noisy, judge for yourself. It has a resonant peak at different time settings that can be abused with high feedback for special effects.
Dry Minilogue with external delay
Minilogue using onboard delay
Using delay noise and HPF as an effect

2. Sequence Switching
While not at all a groovebox, for DJ remix effects you can with practice get seamless switching between patches with sequences running. This example has three patches using the same sequence. I switched between patches in real time. I could have also used the same sound with different sequences. The patches were adjacent, because you have to select patches with a knob.
Switching between patches

3. Arp latching
There is no sustain pedal input, no sustain pedal over MIDI, no latch, no hold. The trick to latched arps is to set up a sequence with the chords you wish to arpeggiate, set the gate for 100% and then select the arp pattern. I switch between different arp patterns here as the sequence plays. It's hard to do this very well because there are 13 arp types spread over the full turn of the knob. You could get better control by sending MIDI CCs from an external controller, for instance a pad controller. That could also be a good way to switch between non adjacent patches since many pad controllers can assign program change msgs to the pad.
Latched arp trick

4. Motion sequencing
There are four tracks per patch. The first example shows how you can enable each of them in real time as the sequence plays. In this case, cutoff, resonance and amp release are sequenced.
Switching motion lanes on and off in real time
To use motion sequences like a programmable LFO, first record a simple sequence to act as a metronome, then remove all the notes after the motion has been recorded. This example has me playing in real time while the same motion sequence is running.
Motion only sequence
Notice in both examples that when the filter is mostly closed, you can easily hear the clicking of the VCA that many have complained about.

5. EG restarts at 0
Simple example with long attack and release. You can easily hear the release trail getting abruptly cut off. The synth is in mono mode.
Pretty abrupt EG restart

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
pflosi wrote:
I'm just thinking that if you play a three note chord with a long attack and decay and then play another three note chord two of your voices on the new chord would be at or near the sustain level and the third would have to come up from zero, which would sound odd I think. It would be a bigger issue for me on a monosynth.
Hm, yeah, I see what you're getting at. I tested with it quickly my polysynths and none of them does that, which actually has me scratching my head a bit as to why :dontknow: