Universal Freeware Midi-SysEx Utility

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nakatsu_Hime
Gear: Yamaha DX7s
Casio VZ-1
Casio CZ1000
Kawai K1m
Cheetah MS6
Yamaha RX11
Alesis HR16
Kawai Q80
Yamaha REX50

Universal Freeware Midi-SysEx Utility

Post by Nakatsu_Hime » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:15 pm

The title says it all really.

I have recently regained possession of my old synths, drum machines and sequencer, but I also now possess a rather porky PC, something I certainly did not possess back in the late 80s to early 90s.

I would like to have a utility that accepts SysEx patch / performance dumps from the following machines (or those that can indeed send SysEx data):

- Yamaha DX7s
- Kawai K1m
- Alesis HR16
- Yamaha RX11
- Kawai Q-80
- Cheetah MS6
- Casio VZ-1
- Yamaha REX-50

It would be nice to find a good and simple to use utlity for accepting and storing Midi SysEx data from these disparate sources for safekeeping.
Any recommendations from you lovely lot?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Universal Freeware Midi-SysEx Utility

Post by garranimal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:46 pm

I use MidiOx. Check out my video.

Nakatsu_Hime
Gear: Yamaha DX7s
Casio VZ-1
Casio CZ1000
Kawai K1m
Cheetah MS6
Yamaha RX11
Alesis HR16
Kawai Q80
Yamaha REX50

Post by Nakatsu_Hime » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm

That looks simple enough for an old clutz such as me.

Thanks hun
xxx

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Bome's SendSX

It's what worked best with old synths for me.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Nakatsu_Hime wrote: - Kawai Q-80
- Yamaha REX-50
Small point, the Q-80 doesn't transmit its own data as sysex, although itself can be used to save sysex from other synths. The disk format is proprietary so won't even load in your PC. The Q80 mark 2 used MS-DOS format though. Nice workflow on these sequencers IMO, I had both mark 1 and 2 for a while.

The REX-50 has no sysex support, which is a shame because it is an SPX90 mark 1 (same converters and DSP) with a distortion algorithm added. Still a cool sounding effects unit. The pitch shifter played from a MIDI keyboard can do some very cool things, especially with a sampler.

If you replaced it with an SPX90 you'd have sysex support, but no distortion.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

To avoid stating another thread...(Hope you don't mind) I have the same issue but I have a MAC. What are the MAC options ? Thanks 8-)
Makin' Noises

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:15 pm

madtheory wrote:The REX-50 has no sysex support, which is a shame because it is an SPX90 mark 1 (same converters and DSP) with a distortion algorithm added. Still a cool sounding effects unit. The pitch shifter played from a MIDI keyboard can do some very cool things, especially with a sampler.
Not quite - it is actually an SPX50d (this was my first FX processor) which is different to the more expensive at the time SPX90. It does have some coolish things, but it lacked some of the SPX90's cooler features.

I used my SPX50 for delays, reverbs, and a nice thickening pitch shifter. The distortions weren't that useful. I still have it in it's box somewhere, should chuck it up on ebay...

Some of these old FX units are fun to revisit for their quirks. I really like my old Zoom 1201 as it had this thing where when you changed the delay time when a delay was still audible it would do this cool stuttering cut up effect as the buffers changed in realtime. I've not found any software ti replicate this to date...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Best Mac sysex tool:
http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/
desmond wrote:
madtheory wrote: but it lacked some of the SPX90's cooler features.
Oh right. I think the only algorithm missing from the REX50 and SPX50d is reverb freeze. All three use the same multiplexing converter that was improved with the SPX90II.

Yes the distortion is not very useful. There's a nice filter on the delay feedback, but I always felt 500ms was a little short for a delay- although it was huge at the time! The compressor has character though :)

I like the SPX90 a lot, but not enough to keep one in the rack, although I do wish there was a plugin version of the Symphonic algorithm (it's probably just a micropitch shifter though). I sampled mine before moving it on. I do have an Alesis Quadraverb+ that is a pretty cool box for grungy things.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 pm

madtheory wrote:Oh right. I think the only algorithm missing from the REX50 and SPX50d is reverb freeze. All three use the same multiplexing converter that was improved with the SPX90II.
I can't remember without looking it up. I think the SP90 has a sampler mode which wasn't on the SPX50, and there were some other things but those have fallen out of my brain these days! :)
madtheory wrote:I like the SPX90 a lot, but not enough to keep one in the rack, although I do wish there was a plugin version of the Symphonic algorithm (it's probably just a micropitch shifter though). I sampled mine before moving it on.
Yeah. I used the +8/-8 thing quite a bit but I think I'd prefer other (software) for that at a higher quality now.
Just looked up some YouTube demos and forgot that the reverb time could go up to 99secs - that's pretty cool!

I'll dig mine out, have a play, record some audio, do a video, and then chuck it on ebay I think...

Edit: I had a quick look at the manuals of both SPX50D and SPX90. While there are a lot of similarities in effects type and parameters, the main limitation on the SPX50 is the very limited pitch algorithms, eg no Pitch Change algorithm or associated Delay Vibrato stuff. No Reverse Gate either, and no Freeze so none of the (albeit limited) sampling stuff you can do on the SPX90.

On the algorithms that are basically the same, most of the parameters are the same, but on some there are a few extra parameters on the SPX90 in some cases.

Plus you get the (mostly horrible) distortion algorithms which Yamaha were proud enough to add a "D" to the model name. They needn't have bothered, really..! :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:36 am

I bet you'll end up keeping it after making the video LOL! :) Agreed, the distortion is mostly terrible, but the chorus and delays are classics.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:34 am

Does anyone know the definitive configuration for the buffers in MIDI-OX to send sysex to the Wavestation AD?
Herrare umanum est.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:23 am

Try with Bome SendSX if you're under windows.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks. I use Ubuntu and WINE... will try that.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 pm

It's not working with the WS... I'm trying to install the factory presets and only the first performance (Ski Jam ) gets transferred to RAM1...
Herrare umanum est.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Mooger5 wrote:It's not working with the WS... I'm trying to install the factory presets and only the first performance (Ski Jam ) gets transferred to RAM1...
What are you sending? In the main, a WS ram dump consists of three sysex dumps - the performance bank, the patch bank and the waveseqeunce bank (all eg for RAM1).

If any of those fail, you'll get a sysex checksum error displayed by the WS, and it won't change the memories.

if you are getting one performance dump correctly and no errors, chances are you're only sending the sysex for that one performance...