Arturia Matrixbrute

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Arturia Matrixbrute

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Bitexion wrote:

Sonicstate made a vid about it. My jimmies are rustled.
Wow. Talk about a beast. This is the Akira of monosynths.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:29 pm

^ Hahah! Check out Ujiie from Musictrack.jp hanging in the background

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:^ Hahah! Check out Ujiie from Musictrack.jp hanging in the background
that's awesome

didn't notice that

he looks like he's investigating it for himself rather than demoing because...no mile wide smile.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 pm

this synth looks really amazing. one of my favorite things is that you can use the button matrix for the step sequencer. unfortunately it is very much outside of what I'd be able to spend, but I think it will be selling pretty well... may I'll cop a used one in a year or so. :)

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:31 pm

I agree that build quality is the biggest question mark with this synth. The features and design look amazing. The previous Brutes were cheap in price but also cheaply constructed . . . hopefully this is a proper flagship for the line and no corners were cut with the manufacturing.

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:10 am

:shocked:

As soon as this thing goes up for pre-order - I am on it!!!
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:43 am

SquareWave wrote::shocked:

Here you go then:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MatrixBrute

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 am

Not much to add other than....what a time to be alive for the new synth renaissance :mrgreen:

Prophet 6
OB6
Minilogue
MatrixBrute
and more.....

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
SquareWave wrote::shocked:

Here you go then:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MatrixBrute

Done!

:biggrin:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:46 am

Not the most convenient place for the patchbay.
But I'd be very interested in hearing more about the sequencer...

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:38 am

GuyaGuy wrote:I'd be very interested in hearing more about the sequencer...
I'd like to know more too . . . the Arturia product page says it's a 64 step, but can it be configured as 32 steps with two simultaneous tracks or 16 step with four simultaneous tracks? It'd be nice to use it this way for more modulation layers.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:36 am

trevordutton wrote:The previous Brutes were cheap in price but also cheaply constructed . . . hopefully this is a proper flagship from or the line and no corners were cut with the manufacturing.
No way the minibrute was very well made, thick metal faceplate etc

The keyboard was slightly cheap early on but on the later units was much better

It was actually a shock at the time how well it was made for the price

trevordutton

Post by trevordutton » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:13 pm

^ Mine showed up with two keys broken just from shipping. Perhaps it was one from the earlier production run as you noted . . .

lamberter1
Gear: Oberheim Matrix-12/Matrix-6/OB-8, Roland Jupiter-80/Jupiter-6 (Europa), Korg/Arp Odyssey, Technics SX-PR903, GenoQs Octopus

Post by lamberter1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Wow, I was about to pull the trigger on something else when I saw this beast a couple days ago. Watching the videos kept me up till 3am. Looks amazing. Yes, sweetwater is at $1999 even though two vids have Arturia salespersons quoting slightly less, I think it is rightly priced. Competition is fierce for synths right now. I just picked up a Korg Arp "Karp" Odyssey (because I learned analog synthesis on a MkII back in high school). It is everything the Odyssey provided and a little more (or a little less with that stupid keyboard)...BUT I got it brand new for $699!!! Like a previous poster mentioned, what an amazing time for this renaissance!

Anyway, we seem to be going monosynth crazy - Voyager, Oberheim's SEMs and TVS, Odyssey, MatrixBrute, DSI, not to mention modulars running out our noses.

So, I thought about it, and decided to wait on the MatrixBrute for about a year (firmware updates. bugfixes, secondary, etc.) Instead I pulled the trigger on two Boomstars. I needed to round out my filter library hehe, so I picked up the 5089 (Moog ladder) and the SE80 (modeled after Yamaha CS80 filter). Now, with my Oberheim Matrix-12, OB-8, Jupiter-6 (and 80 but that doesn't count), KArp Odyssey (with all 3 era filters), I think I've got my "filter bases" covered. I know I HAVE to have an Oberheim TVS ($3499.00 yikes) in the future.

God help us all if this re-release mania continues. If Korg were to faithfully release a Quadra or Chroma, or if Tom decides on a FVS (please Tom...no 8-voice lol)...Heck, Yamaha practically GAVE back "Sequential" to Dave for nothing...Do you guys see a trend? EVERYTHING is coming back.

This is seriously going to hurt birthrates in the US and Europe...people will want to birth synths instead of children.
Oberheim Matrix-12, Matrix-6, OB-8/Roland Jupiter-80, Jupiter-6 (Europa)/Korg Arp Odyssey/Boomstar 5089, SE80/GenoQs Octopus/Dynaudio, Adam

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Vert, very cool. That is a s**t-tonne of functionality in one case. I'm seriously tempted but I'm a not a preorder kind of guy so I'll be interested to hear some third-party reviews when the time comes.