Oberheim OB-6 Dave Smith

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Re: Oberheim OB-6 Dave Smith

Post by synthRodriguez » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 am

Glad I waited on the P6. This thing sounds great.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:11 am

:o It has the original OB ring mod and phaser built in :o The only thing missing, and this is being really picky, is all of the cool arp functions from the OB-8.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

madtheory wrote::o It has the original OB ring mod and phaser built in :o The only thing missing, and this is being really picky, is all of the cool arp functions from the OB-8.
And the 2 extra voices, 5-octave keyboard, individual voice panning pots, dual patch splitting and layering capability...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Ya, splits and layers (with programmable level and tuning) would be good. Layering is a very simple and powerful sound design facility. I don't think that would raise the price by much, seeing as it can do unison now.

The problem with 2 extra voices and the keyboard is $$$$.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:08 pm

DSI is all about leveraging past designs to create new products. This is basically a Prophet 6 rejiggered into an Oberheim. As Dave mentioned in one video I saw this allowed the rapid tunraround time, remember P6 was just a year ago.

Expecting to ship in a month!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 pm

synthparts wrote:
madtheory wrote::o It has the original OB ring mod and phaser built in :o The only thing missing, and this is being really picky, is all of the cool arp functions from the OB-8.
And the 2 extra voices, 5-octave keyboard, individual voice panning pots, dual patch splitting and layering capability...
...And also the 24dB mode.

I take back what I said earlier in this thread, I'm getting this whether or not my OB-Xa is fixable, since they have enough to set them apart.
meatballfulton wrote:DSI is all about leveraging past designs to create new products. This is basically a Prophet 6 rejiggered into an Oberheim. As Dave mentioned in one video I saw this allowed the rapid tunraround time, remember P6 was just a year ago.

Expecting to ship in a month!
I think I saw people on Gearslutz suspicious about that very point. Carson from DSI said that the oscillators are not the same as P6: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11636283-post451.html
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:This is basically a Prophet 6 rejiggered into an Oberheim.
What I'm wondering is, aside from the front panel controls, is this internally just a switchout of voice cards in a socketed modular fashion? That could open up some great possibilities.
As excited as I was at the news of the Prophet 6, I have to say I'm liking the sonic character of the OB6 more.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Solderman wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:This is basically a Prophet 6 rejiggered into an Oberheim.
What I'm wondering is, aside from the front panel controls, is this internally just a switchout of voice cards in a socketed modular fashion? That could open up some great possibilities.
Yeah, basically it's the same frame, control structure, electronics and power supply.
The voice cards/filters were presumably taken from Tom's designs and packaged into a form that resembles the P6 voice cards so they would work - then the front panel was redesigned for the appropriate control structure. Seems like good business to me!
Solderman wrote:As excited as I was at the news of the Prophet 6, I have to say I'm liking the sonic character of the OB6 more.
Agreed. I find it hard to get excited by synths these days, but on hearing the OB I was surprised at just how great it sounds!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Solderman wrote:As excited as I was at the news of the Prophet 6, I have to say I'm liking the sonic character of the OB6 more.
Ditto. The P6 looks great features-wise and does sound good, but man that OB-6 demo!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 pm

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:21 pm

desmond wrote: Yeah, basically it's the same frame, control structure, electronics and power supply.
The voice cards/filters were presumably taken from Tom's designs and packaged into a form that resembles the P6 voice cards so they would work - then the front panel was redesigned for the appropriate control structure. Seems like good business to me!
This is good to hear. Tom's sound with Dave's layout and assembly. What a thing of beauty.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

gd

Post by gd » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:00 am

Great collaboration to say the least. Looking fwd to playing one and hearing what DSI collaborations has coming out next.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:28 am

I think this is a great synth!

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:19 am

Brilliant!!! :yahoo:

I was close to getting a SEM of some sort... Glad I waited! I hope they will be doing a desktop version like the P6. What a great time to be a synth geek!

:happy3:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:48 am

Dat phaser tho