Oberheim OB-6 Dave Smith

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Re: Oberheim OB-6 Dave Smith

Post by CfNorENa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:19 pm

knolan wrote:It genuinely sounds nothing like an oberheim to me.
Do you have much experience with the SEM? Not calling you out, just asking. Because some of those bandpass filter sweeps in the demos sound VERY SEM-like to me.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:03 pm

No experience, at all, with SEM (other that I own Arturia SEM!). I used an OBXA in the past (didn't own it). I should correct what I mean - it doesn't sound like an OBXA or OB8 (and accept they sound different to each other)!

I fully concede that it may sound like a poly SEM device; but this is meant to be a replacement to the OBXA / OB8.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 pm

So, a strong opinion not based on using the actual instrument? Why?

Reading rhe official specs, the phaser and ring mod are digital so at best are merely emulations of the original OB pedals. More likely though, is that it's exactly the same effects engine as the P6.

IMO if it's got the OB sound, then it's a winner. Even the M1000 has that sound, although nowhere near as ballsy as his VCO instruments. This thing has VCOs, so it's a winner. If they can add patch layering, even better.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Did you not read my post? Read the bit about using an OBXA (extensively!),

Furthermore - there are enough classic albums with the OBXA sound on it to know what it sounds like.

Have you ever played a Duduk? Do you know what one sounds like? :-)

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:36 pm

knolan wrote:Did you not read my post? Read the bit about using an OBXA (extensively!),
He meant, not using the OB-6 (or SEM, for that matter).

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:25 pm

My only argument is that it doesn't sound like an Oberheim polysynth! Read the full thread.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 pm

They're saying that you haven't used the OB-6 so you don't know what it's like to play, nobody has said anything about whether you've played an OB-8 or OB-X. ;)

By the way, the eight voice, four voice and two voice are oberheim poly synths made by Tom Oberheim, which is why people are referencing them. Don't get confused by the blue stripes on the chassis, they don't actually impart any character on the sound. :thumbleft:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 pm

All the more reason to not make s final decision based on Internet streamed audio...

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 am

That's a mad theory :-)

(sorry - couldn't resist !!)

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:09 am

completely superficial here, but i'm finding the look of it odd. not sure i like the prophet/obxa love-child look. I wish they had just created a new color scheme for it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 pm

knolan wrote:That's a mad theory :-)

(sorry - couldn't resist !!)
LOL like I haven't heard that one before! But seriously, DSI have only one demo. Soundcloud streaming in 128k MP3, that definitely reduces the sound quality. YouTube is about the same- AAC at a lower bitrate. Plus it's more of a SEM mono synth type of showcase than an OB poly type of thing. No fat brass, smooth strings or silky pads.

Have they put the old presets on it, like they've done with the P6?

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I literally only have one gripe. Standard mod wheels instead of OB Levers.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

themilford wrote:I literally only have one gripe. Standard mod wheels instead of OB Levers.
Functionally I like the levers. But on the M12 they never re-center exactly back to zero.
mdannyg wrote:completely superficial here, but i'm finding the look of it odd. not sure i like the prophet/obxa love-child look. I wish they had just created a new color scheme for it.
I'm envisioning a creamy-white over black color scheme more like the SEM polys.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Silky pads, here we go. Ya it's more like an OBX than an OB8:

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for posting - it completely convinces me this sounds absolutely nothing like an OBXA or even an OB8. I'm not claiming I'm right - I'm just saying I'm convinced - genuinely and unequivocally (to me) - this is actually a quite poor and unimpressive polysynth. underwhelming in every department. to confirm I'm not trolling - I adore DSI's other instruments and think the Pro2, along with the Sub37, are THE synthesizers of today (and I'll likely buy both :-) ). But the OB6 is a faint echo of it's near name-sake former classics.