Should I Repair or Sell: Juno 106

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
createsynthesis

Should I Repair or Sell: Juno 106

Post by createsynthesis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi everybody,

thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a juno 106 that sounds incredible and im wondering if its worth it to hang on to it for 10-20 years or just cut my loses now. it was serviced by synth spa a few years back and has the blue meanie mod. unfortunately this means my voice chips are fragile and one has failed leaving me with a few options.

1. pay for single voice chip repair. possiby have a slightly different sounding voice but i will have a working synth until they other voices failing, which means i will be paying a lot for individual repairs.

2. pay for all the voices to be replaced. expensive, about 650 for my local service guy here in mesa. seems like he really knows what hes doing.

3. sell it. get prob 400-500 for a juno 106 with one defective voice. everything else is good and works fine on it.

what do you guys think? is it going to retain its value, even possibly raise close to the 1500 mark in the next couple of years?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Should I Repair or Sell: Juno 106

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:59 pm

4. Repair the "dead" voice chip.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Sell it and buy something else instead.

A Juno 106 is not worth the hassle IMHO.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Rheingold
Gear: Access Virus A, Akai S2000, Moog Sub 37, Roland Fantom S, Roland Juno 106, Waldorf Blofeld, Waldorf Pulse

Post by Rheingold » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:09 pm

I really love my Juno. It has such a wonderful sound! I just had two voice chips repaired for 300 Euros including a general checkup. For me, it was worth every cent!

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Not sure what synth spa would have done to your voice chips, but if they are still sealed in the resin coating it is a very easy repair if you have desoldering & soldering skills. A simple soldering iron and solder-pump should be enough, and you'll need a small amount of acetone from your local hardware store.

If the problems you have are crackly voices and occasional resonance & filter instabilities, the chips can be removed and soaked in acetone for 3-4 days until the resin coatings peel off. You may want to keep track of which chip is which to avoid the need of a complete re-calibration when they are put back in, put them back where they came from (a complete re-calibration is actually a good idea anyways if you CAN do it however). Almost all problems in the voices are caused by a capacitance that forms between pins from the resin coatings. I read about so called 'metal migration' but I'm pretty sure this is never the case, and false info. If the chips are removed and pins break off accidentally this is also repairable by soldering new SIP header onto the chip.

When I first attempted to do a restoration of the two I worked on last month, I ordered a new analog renaissance chip to try because I thought I needed it. I found that the AR chip was extremely temperature sensitive and difficult to calibrate because of breathing on it made the tuning fluctuate almost -/+ a half tone... I scrapped it and stuck with the original chips for my client which worked out much better.

The 106 is a great synth and worth any effort to restore!
‹‡›

philip

Post by philip » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Repair

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 pm

createsynthesis wrote:2. pay for all the voices to be replaced. expensive, about 650 for my local service guy here in mesa. seems like he really knows what hes doing.
You're talking about Dean at 5-Star? He's charging $650? That seems really high to me. Shop around a bit if you're considering doing that.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:45 pm

createsynthesis wrote:possiby have a slightly different sounding voice
No. I've fixed several 106s, and sometimes with an AR clone. If you recalibrate the voice carrefully, it sounds really the same. Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 pm

createsynthesis wrote:what do you guys think? is it going to retain its value, even possibly raise close to the 1500 mark in the next couple of years?
The market is flooded with new analogs, so I believe that sooner or later the "vintage madness" will eventually calm down.
The Juno 106 is nothing special and way too overpriced/overrated , so I dont think that it will even hold its current value.
I would repair it with new AR chips and sell it.
It is all about sharing...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Repair and sell, agreed! It's not a difficult job if you've electronics know-how. These synths are still worth a lot of money. Yes they're WAY over priced but it is a nice synth, really easy to use, difficult to get a bad sound out of. But it's not like you can't get that sound with other Roland synths. Personally I would sell it to fund a Poly Evolver :)

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 pm

its best to just put the new clones in...they sound great.

another good thing is to take of the top panel pcb and clean off all the dust and clean the sliders and remove the dreaded foam..breakes up and kills the sliders.

so new chips and a good clean up and service should keep your juno going longer than the new analog synths.

i fix dozens of 106's and the acetone trick really is not a long term solution...i have boxes of old roland chips which for some reason i dont bin..one day i will look into if its possible to fix
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:20 am

sam wrote:its best to just put the new clones in...they sound great.

i fix dozens of 106's and the acetone trick really is not a long term solution...
I agree the clones sound good, but no less or better than identical. But in my experience they were much more sensitive to ambient temperature, Making calibration extremely difficult. Important if you want to play the tuned filter as part of the sound.

Can you explain why you would not consider the acetone method as a long term solution? I have not heard anyone report failure of their refurbished chips. Unless someone was reckless in undergoing the procedure I don't see how properly maintaining original 80017a's are any different to owning any other synth that has proprietary chips if you are saying they will fail.
‹‡›

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:19 pm

i can only base my opinion on all the acetoned chips that have failed in junos that come in the workshop.

The owners say they initally worked then failed later

i have loads of old chips...i would love to work...
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 pm

I guess YMMV then... I can't really say with truth that any of the 106s I restored are long term solutions until time tells, but by removing the resin did make all of the problems go away.

I guess the same can be said about the AR chips too, since everything fails one day ;)
Either way, probably the least amount of expense is to give it a shot with the original chips, nothing really to lose... and if they fail, at least there is always the AR route as backup.
‹‡›

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm

its worth a shot if you do it to your own or friends junos...i deal with pro musicians that really need a reliable option and i can't guarantee the actone trick works ....
i have enough chips to test ...i get little time unfortunatly.
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.