How to play 808 Chromatically from Analog synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
varun213

How to play 808 Chromatically from Analog synth

Post by varun213 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:36 am

Hi guys, I just got the Vermona DRM1 analog drum machine. I wanted to make my own 808 style bass drums from the machine and be able to play simple bassline melodies with the samples I create. Before I jump into it , could anybody tell me the "proper" way to achieve this effectively?

My idea was to synthesize an 808 style bass drum and then record that into my daw as a WAV audio clip. Then re import that drum sample wav file and assign a root note and hope that it plays chromatically the way I want. I only need one octave since I wouldn't play a bassline out of that range.

Please correct me if my proposed method could be better. I want to get right into making effective 808 style bass drums from the Vermona

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: How to play 808 Chromatically from Analog synth

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:02 am

No, that's the right way to do it.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Please tell me you aren't that person who everyone was telling not to get the DRM1 and use something with already sample based drum kits in it and then you decided you wanted the DRM1 bad enough because it was all analog and got one anyway, to now only be wondering how to sample and play it chromatically.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

varun213

Post by varun213 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:16 am

Zamise wrote:Please tell me you aren't that person who everyone was telling not to get the DRM1 and use something with already sample based drum kits in it and then you decided you wanted the DRM1 bad enough because it was all analog and got one anyway, to now only be wondering how to sample and play it chromatically.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

why did you waste your time typing that?

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Hahaha

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:46 pm

I sample all my analog gear and manipulate it in software because the analog stuff tends to sound more robust and it holds up better in processing. Sometimes there are little surprises hiding in there.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:20 am

varun213 wrote:
Zamise wrote:Please tell me you aren't that person who everyone was telling not to get the DRM1 and use something with already sample based drum kits in it and then you decided you wanted the DRM1 bad enough because it was all analog and got one anyway, to now only be wondering how to sample and play it chromatically.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

why did you waste your time typing that?
Seems like he's right on. :P
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

"I want all analog synths. Then I'll sample them and put the multisamples into my DAW"

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 pm

or you could just allow people to do whatever they want with the gear that THEY purchased...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:14 am

I was just finding it ironic... you've got it right. Nothing wrong with sampling analog, love analog kits, but yeah you want to sample it as a pitched voice instead of a kit which is pretty common to have some similar kicks and bass voices already in sample based synths/gear, some of which was suggested to you, and that is so you can also play them like any other instrument. If you have a decent sampler you can assign key ranges and root notes and put other sounds on more keys etc., what I'd suggest though is to make sure to set the kick sample to be a one hit sample and stop after it plays once which is good for most drum sounds so it will save memory by not having to have a long dead space after the hit, otherwise when you use higher notes it will loop faster and faster on you out of time if you don't also shorten the note's gate time. One hit sample prevents that problem. When you sample pitched voices normally, other than drums, looping is more often a good thing to do, but not usually on a pitched drum voices. You can also do attack looping or chop it up etc., depending on how good your sampler is or not, which can have uses and sometimes be fun too on drums. However, I'd expect you'd want to keep it as simple as possible while you are getting it going for your first time. Sample the DRM enough and you may not even need it after a while ;)
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:57 am

I love keepin' it real and analog, but when it comes down to it, we're kind of splitting hairs here. Unless you're recording to analog tape (which I doubt anyone on this board is), you're gonna end up recording it to a DAW anyway. And hard drives don't care whether you call it "sampling" or "recording."

Of course digitally transposing analog sound sources is a different animal than playing notes up down an analog synth, but I'm sure y'all see my point.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com