Why is the CZ101 not considered a classic?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mark76

Why is the CZ101 not considered a classic?

Post by Mark76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 pm

I mean, not in the same way as a Jupiter etc, but surely it could be considered a classic just for that 'Dirty Organ' sound, in the same way the Alpha juno has the classic Charly 'Hoover' sound?

'That' organ sound that powered rave/italo dance music in the early/mid 90s, almost as famous as the M1 Piano/organ yet largely overlooked?

desmond

Re: Why is the CZ101 not considered a classic?

Post by desmond » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:15 pm

The CZ series do get quite some love from fans - I certainly have a soft spot for them, my first digital & MIDI synth was a CZ-101 and these days I have a CZ-1 (which is by far the best of the lot, touch sensitivity alone brings the CZ to life) and I also have VirtualCZ and the CZ ipad app too.

I think they are kind of "classic", but not really in the league of things like a JP8, OB8, CS80 etc even if only for budgetary reasons - CZ's were always relatively cheap, out there in large numbers, and accessible.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 pm

The CZ-101 is considered a classic by many simply because it was the first polyphonic synth to have all of the following features:

-- battery power

-- minikeys

-- multitimbral operation over MIDI

-- eight stage envelope generators

-- price below $500 (when the next cheapest polys were $800...KorgPoly 800 and Sequential MAX).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:35 pm

Yeah, it is. Maybe the OP is disappointed that they're not totally stupidly overpriced?

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah, it is. Maybe the OP is disappointed that they're not totally stupidly overpriced?
Like, eg, the DX100, or CS01...

Mark76

Post by Mark76 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yeah, it is. Maybe the OP is disappointed that they're not totally stupidly overpriced?
No not at all, thankfully it's not!

It's just that one Organ sound featured in so many tracks in the 90s alongside the M1 Piano/Organ. In fact the M1/CZ101/909 were all perfect bedfellows in commercial dance music of the time. Back in the day I even bought an old school sample CD that had the 'dirty organ' (as it was so affectionately named!) sound on it. :lol:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 am

What's even cooler is you can usually pay less for a CZ5000 which is an even better instrument, unless you want the battery powered portability.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am

Yes the CZ5000 is definitely better. The CZ-1 is a bit rare, but they're still not going for silly money.

Some reasons for the price difference I think:

1. Unfortunately the Casio name is associated with cheap and nasty sounding products.
2. CS01 is analogue and very easy to use. CZ takes a bit of effort, at first.
3. The DX100 and CS01 have actual useable mini-keys. They're not "shrunk to scale" they're fairly wide, actually wide enough to play, and they're a bit stiffer than the CZ-101 which feels more like a worn out Hammond C3 or pipe organ.
4. Even though it's actually very well built inside, the plastic casing of the CZ is painted so can end up looking very tatty.
5. The casing is square, whereas the DX100 is very sleek and feels solid.
6. CZs don't really do big fat strings and pads very well.
7. No velocity response on any CZ except the CZ-1, so piano sounds are naff compared to a DX-7. Velocity on the CZ-1 was kind of badly done, although with a weighted keyboard over MIDI it works nicely.
8. Biggest selling synth ever (probably) so the market is saturated. Everyone's used one, at this stage.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:52 am

simple answer: it is. along with the CZ-1.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 pm

I agree that it is a classic. It's got plenty of fans. It's just not rare. Nothing wrong with that. It's got a cult following, but the fanbase is not rabid like the Jupiter cult following. It's also digital, which means it's just not going to have the same mystique as an analogue synth (unless we're talking DX-1 or something).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 am

Mark76 wrote:It's just that one Organ sound featured in so many tracks in the 90s alongside the M1 Piano/Organ. In fact the M1/CZ101/909 were all perfect bedfellows in commercial dance music of the time. Back in the day I even bought an old school sample CD that had the 'dirty organ' (as it was so affectionately named!) sound on it. :lol:
I own the CZ-101 and I don't think that it was used as many people think it was. The DX100 (which I also own) has an organ preset that sounds almost exactly the same as the CZ-101, plus a dozen other organ sounds. Seeing how the DX100 got used a lot for it's "Solid Bass" patch in House music, it seems likely that it was also used a lot for the organ sounds as well.

Personally, I find the CZ-101 a nightmare to program and experiment with compared to the DX100. You can get some interesting sounds out of the CZ, but 99% of the time it will sound like something an analog synth could already do. The DX style FM is a much grittier sound to experiment with.

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 am

I have a cz-1000 and I have had a JX-3P. I Think the
Casio is very capable of analog sounding. The sound is
Very different from the DX Imo but Can do DX like sounds.
For a digital synth I Think it sounds warm.

Now we live In the digital age and everybody wants analog synthesizers.
Back In the 80' the digital synths were just emerging and every body wanted
One cause the majority of synths were analog.

I don't get it.

Cheers

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Surely it's obvious... it's not analog ;)

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Didn't Vince Clarke use a fleet of them at one point?
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Didn't Vince Clark use a fleet of every synth ever known to mankind at one point?