Thinning the herd...should I sell Juno-60 and DMX?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DesolationBlvd

Thinning the herd...should I sell Juno-60 and DMX?

Post by DesolationBlvd » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:18 pm

The past few years have been my gear buying spree. Better to buy while young and unfettered than in midlife trying to support a family. But, I recently came to my senses. I realized I'm not in a position to have so much gear, being in a small apartment and all. Right now, I'm selling off some of my cheaper guitars to recover space, and also looking at a few of my electronic instruments that are collecting dust.

I just realized that the SH-101 and the Alpha Juno together can do what the Juno-60 can do alone. The Alpha Juno, with its expressive keybed now thanks to me finally getting around to replacing the aftertouch strip, really comes alive, and can also serve as my master keyboard. Thanks to this, I plan on downsizing the DX7 to a TG77 some time this year.

Not to mention, I haven't gotten around to sending in the Jupiter-8 for maintenance.

But, the DCO + IR3109 combination gives the Juno-60 a tightness I can't put my finger on, that I really like.

As for the DMX, I've seen prices jump on it since I bought it. Now that I have an Analog Rytm, I assume the sample loading and then running those through the analog filters can cover the "gritty beat box" sounds, right?
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Thinning the herd...should I sell Juno-60 and DMX?

Post by griffin avid » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:33 pm

I ALWAYS regret selling gear. I say ask someone about moisture and bagging it up and putting it away somewhere....in a closet....

It's never really intense, but every so often I think. "Man, I still wish I had that...."
And there is no room to keep EVERYTHING close, but I wouldn't mind rotating a few bits in and out.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:13 pm

The fact that you're asking would imply you like them and want to keep them. Maybe ask the question- am I using these, or would I be able to buy something more useful to me by selling them?

Personally I would sell, both can be sold for a lot more than they'd be worth to me. Storage costs money! Replace with... well tons of much cooler instruments. Or really good speakers and room treatment. Or a really great holiday abroad :) Or, horror of horrors, sell to fund JP8 repair...

LordVampyre

Post by LordVampyre » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:37 pm

ever consider moving to a larger apartment? That way you could keep everything??

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Juno 60 is tight and sometimes even woody while Alpha Juno is kind of softer and chewy for a lack of a better word. It has less mids and more of a smiley face sound. I must say I do prefer the Alpha Juno's sound. It's not as punchy, but for pads I'd say it beat the Juno 60 and 106. It's oscillator section is interesting and can produce lot's of different timbres. The filter of course can't compete with the one in Juno 60. I regret selling many synths I had, so...think twice or maybe ten times ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:18 pm

It's good to get rid of some synths too. I was doing the same as you. Was living alone, had a good paying job and could basically pick and choose vintage synths from ads..It was only when I moved that I realised how much unused c**p I'd been storing in closets and under cloth covers for months and months.

It's pretty great to just get rid of some stuff that you literally never use. I still have a few synths stashed around, they're mostly just gathering dust too and I know I should sell them. It does feel good to just get them outta there and into better homes/studios.

Instead of having a fat savings account (I'm 38), I have a house loan, zero savings, and lots of unused gear.
I sold off half of it but still have too many left :)

You should rather think "Do I ever use the Juno60? Or do I just keep it around cos it's cool to have, but turn it on twice a year to check if it still works?"

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 am

I honestly prefer the alphas to the 106 and 60. I get bored with the 60 rather quickly, where the alpha has a more versatile palette. So it doesn't have that nice filter, but that's what the 101 is for.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:40 am

I just realized I wouldn't need to lose the Juno-60 if I downsize the DX7. I would have just enough room: the Juno-60 and Jupiter-8 on the two-tier Roland stand, and then the Alpha Juno on another stand, and the Minilogue on a tall bar stool. On top of that, the market isn't as hot as I thought.

Maybe trading it temporarily for another keyboard would be a better solution (backing up the patches first, of course).

Meanwhile, I'm really leaning towards selling the DMX. If necessary, shipping a drum machine isn't nearly as bad as shipping a keyboard (or guitar*).

As for regrets, I do miss my MKS-30, which I sold due to job loss about three years ago, and tried to replace with a JX-3P that I tried to fix (and failed, trading it away). Honorable mention goes to a Moog MG-1 I bought to fix and flip, great sound but couldn't live with the limitations compared to the Voyager.

*I'm also in the middle of selling off guitars that I've upgraded from or just don't like any more.
LordVampyre wrote:ever consider moving to a larger apartment? That way you could keep everything??
Close. Next step is buying a house so I no longer have to leave my amps set to "1".
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

why not sell the jupiter....i got 5.5 k in euros and have never missed it because if i want that vibe i have the juno 6.

i have fixed many jupiter 8's and i still don't get the fascination of these things...but its only my taste so dont take offence...:)
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.