What is the worst thing that you have ever done to a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ncapone
Gear: Roland V-Synth
Moog Sub 37
Korg EMX-1
Crumar Performer
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08
Band: Terrapin

What is the worst thing that you have ever done to a synth?

Post by Ncapone » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 pm

What are some of the worst things I've ever done to one of your synthesizers? Whether it intentional or not. How did your Synthesizer earn its battle scars?

For me, it's when I was carrying my Roland V Synth down the stairs without a case and we both went tumbling down. I broke my left wrist and right elbow, but only two of the ADSR sliders came off of the synth. Apparently Roland makes them sturdier than I was made.

Does anyone else have any stories?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: What is the worst thing that you have ever done to a syn

Post by Alex E » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Smashed the s**t out of a dead Poly 800 in the snow with a heavy mic stand.
soundcloud.com/vectron

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:17 pm

I removed the Grey Matter E sticker from a DX-7. Thought it was a crappy band name or something haha.

Put a curtis chip the wrong way in a socket, in a MemoryMoog. The chip let out the magic smoke as soon as I turned it on. Expensive lesson, I think a replacement chip cost around $50 at the time.

Installed a large PS filtering capacitor the wrong way, in my Matrix-12. It was noisy, and I turned it off right away before any serious harm.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:33 pm

I didn't love my Poly-800 enough and she died. :(

But the worst harm I ever did to any of my synths was let someone play prog rock lines on my Jupiter 6! :o
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Had a Pro~One whose filter stopped self-oscillating. I went poking around the circuit board with the power on not knowing what the h**l I was doing and fried 3 expensive chips. I did resocket and replace them back to a working synth though.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Ncapone wrote:What are some of the worst things I've ever done to one of your synthesizers?
I'm not sure but if I ever find out what you have done to my synths there's going to be trouble [-X

:lol:

Intentional or not, eh? Worst thing that ever happened was one night during a thunderstorm a bolt of lightning hit a power line on my street, sending a surge down the line and frying the motherboard of my SQ-80. Now everything is protected by surge supressors, but as we know lightning never strikes twice in the same place ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:28 am

Worst thing...?

Well, I record music with them. Which I release.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 am

I dipped the Juno 60 white button caps into acetone for a few seconds hoping that it will take the yellowish off but instead they started to wrinkle... it took 2 days of sanding to get them back in operational condition.
It is all about sharing...

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 am

I love when an attempt to clean something ends up making it look worse than when you started :banghead:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 am

maybe going more than a couple weeks without dusting them?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:46 am

Lifted the trace on my Minimoog's power supply by accident, stupid iron must have got too hot plus 40 year old PCB didn't help any. I've been wanting to replace the tact switches on my 303 but no way I'm tackling that without a Hako desolder station.

Also snapped two keys off my JP8000 when it had an unexpected meeting with my acoustic guitar, but not too big a deal.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:05 am

I installed a MEX-50 multitimbral expansion board into my D-50. I didn't like the way it implemented the functions so I removed the expansion board. In that process I lifted a couple traces trying to replace the original CPU chip. I got it back together with a lot of swearing and sweat. That was in 1992 or so and it's still working so I guess I did a reasonable job putting it a back together. ..

I took my JP8 to a friends house when he got his Polymoog. He suggested making a video of us playing them together so with about 2 minutes of practice his girlfriend videos us and then he put it on YouTube. I get home and watch it, and realize that we didn't even tune them.... so in addition to my crappie playing on his Polymoog, we're out of tune. Upside, it's the only Polymoog/JP8 video on YouTube, at least last I checked. Downside, my JP8 apparently had a loose penny in it and when it got home it had something shorted out that has jammed up the os/memory so it doesn't boot up right.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Gotta stop putting your spare change into synths, they aren't jukeboxes ;)

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

I cut the wrong trace on Poly 800 PCB when adding internal battery. Now it has extra wire (long one) connecting two chips. But it works. Also I've blown fuses in my S2000 when trying to install internal JAZ drive. Twice. And still don't know, how to do it (no service manual availible).
(I don't know if punching Bohm Expander with a fist counts, as it's the only way to make it work sometimes - just like old TV).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 pm

I accidentally fried the 7815 in my Jupiter-4 when I was recalibrating it after a recap; I was trying to get a test probe on one of the voltage header pins on the PSU board when it slipped and shorted a couple of pins (making a nice big blue spark in the process!). Thankfully no other harm was done and the 7815 was fairly easy to replace.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6