What is the worst thing that you have ever done to a synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: What is the worst thing that you have ever done to a syn

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:27 am

When I got my SQ-80 from Japan, and forgot that we don't use 110V power in Norway (240V grid power here). So I just inserted a normal cable, plugged it in and turned it on. It said "pweeeeeoooooooooo" and died.

Thankfully only the main fuse blew, and after replacing it and getting a 110-240v converter, it worked fine.

Another horror experience:

When I had just bought my AS modular system, I still had a full row of empty space in the rack, so I bought a huge step sequencer module from someone here. Got it in the mail, plugged it into the power rail, and NOTHING worked.

it was like the whole system just went dead because I'd plugged in the sequencer. Took out the sequencer, everything fine again. Genuinely thought I'd spent hard earned money on a dud. Then I discovered a bent flat pin on the power plug. Pulled it into position (miraculously not breaking it off), plugged it back in and everything worked.

I still don't understand how one single bent pin could render the entire modular system unusable, but I'm not an electronics guy. :roll:

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 am

Bitexion wrote:I still don't understand how one single bent pin could render the entire modular system unusable, but I'm not an electronics guy. :roll:
It could have been shorting one of the power supply rails to ground - that would be enough. PSU probably had some overcurrent protection at its output, so it didn't blow a fuse - and instead just shut down, until the short was removed.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

ats
Gear: Korg DSS-1
Behringer Model D x2
Kurzweil K2000R
Roland Juno 60
Roland XV3080
Roland MKS-70
DSI Prophet Rev2
Yamaha TX802
Ensoniq VFX
Technics WSA1

Post by ats » Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 am

Plugged a parallel port ZIP drive into the SCSi port of my Kurzweil K2500 thinking it was a 25 pin scsi zip drive, smelled smoke when i turned it on and the LCD went wacky . Rest of the synth worked but the scsi capability was gone for good.

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 am

Yekuku wrote:Speaking of M1, you should never use isopropyl alcohol in order to clean it.
Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way...
what You mean? Most synths have no problem with that.

Its the acetone, benzene/gasoline, toluol which they cant stand.

My experience -- its best to avoid these new macro$hit windoza versions:
I had severe problems with one of the PCs and I kicked with frustration the loose computer case and smashed it to the floor. Nothing happened to the case, but the case bounced up and landed to Prophet 600 key. So I had to glue it together again.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:25 am

jxalex wrote:what You mean? Most synths have no problem with that.
Yup, in most synths....
Isopropyl alcohol will blur M1's plastic and it will dissolve its silk screening ( like the M1 logo on the right)
If you dont believe me, you can try it out yourself....
It is all about sharing...

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:00 am

Yekuku wrote:
jxalex wrote:what You mean? Most synths have no problem with that.
Yup, in most synths....
Isopropyl alcohol will blur M1's plastic and it will dissolve its silk screening ( like the M1 logo on the right)
If you dont believe me, you can try it out yourself....
Yes, man has to try it on a not-so-visible surfaces at first if the plastic material is unknown.
Why dont you say so in first place. :D To me everything has to be explained in details... No I do not try it. In a matter of fact I have just M1Rex only. but silk screening, yes can disappear...

however what about THIS -- getting a motorcycle polishing wax (it is much milder than chrome polisher) and putting this on synth plastic and metal details with dremel with low speed. My Juno-106 looks very shiny now like mirror. :)
Dont do it.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Played my own electronic music in college in a battle of the bands competition, didnt go down well, got hay and water poured onto my monopoly, juno and and casio from the gantry and tomato ketchup from the audience - miraculously the water splashed off the control surfaces only and I managed to escape without faults, though one key on the monopoly still proudly displays 30 year old tomato ketchup along its side :-) .

Drums and sequences - not a favourite incolleges in the late 80s / early 90s, now people are flying across the planet for festivals with nothing but that! Dem were the days.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Crazy old anal fool that I am, I regret selling lots of synths - seller's remorse. :cry:
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius