the reality of using aged analog kit live - please be honest

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: the reality of using aged analog kit live - please be ho

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 am

goreycaster wrote:They key tar straps were the first thing to come off the thing I assure you! My main attraction to it was the weight. I never thought I would be attracted to musical instruments because they were flimsy!

Currently looking at JP8000's, MS2000's and Nord leads. I'll have a Modal 002 one day...

Thanks for all the assistance guys.
Add the Novation UltraNova to that list, sounds better than all three and very light. Built very well for the weight too, I've toured mine internationally and have had zero issues, and I don't even have a case for it, just chuck it in a suitcase with my clothes, wrapped in a little bit of bubble wrap.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:... I've toured mine internationally and have had zero issues, and I don't even have a case for it, just chuck it in a suitcase with my clothes, wrapped in a little bit of bubble wrap.
Every time I read this, Stabbers, I just have to laugh. It's true, I know, but to know you do this is just a hoot.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:38 am

whats amazing is that this thread exists because a guy wants to tour with a poly800
w00t

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
goreycaster wrote:They key tar straps were the first thing to come off the thing I assure you! My main attraction to it was the weight. I never thought I would be attracted to musical instruments because they were flimsy!

Currently looking at JP8000's, MS2000's and Nord leads. I'll have a Modal 002 one day...

Thanks for all the assistance guys.
Add the Novation UltraNova to that list, sounds better than all three and very light. Built very well for the weight too, I've toured mine internationally and have had zero issues, and I don't even have a case for it, just chuck it in a suitcase with my clothes, wrapped in a little bit of bubble wrap.
Actually what am I talking about, look at the Minilogue.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:41 am

There's nothing intrinsically wrong or bad about using old analogue gear live, but just arm yourself with some knowledge in case anything goes wrong - Taking an Odyssey (or any other gear) out of a cold van into a warm pub can cause havoc due to condensation on the PCBs, so a hair dryer (not too hot) can be a lifesaver ;)

@Stab Frenzy +several points for mentioning the UltraNova - amazing piece of kit for the price.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:58 am

Broadwave wrote:@Stab Frenzy +several points for mentioning the UltraNova - amazing piece of kit for the price.
Yeah, if it wasn't so plastic looking I bet everyone would be all over it. Oh well, I like having something that's under the radar.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:49 am

Only ever played out once with an old synth, a Juno 106, no issues.

Most punters have no idea what you use anyway, unless it's something very specific you require.

The Ultranova is a great buy and can do almost anything. Blofeld keyboard too are great.
You always want just one more Synth!