Any cool stuff in Los Angeles for synthesizer freaks?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Any cool stuff in Los Angeles for synthesizer freaks?

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:43 am

I'm going to LA in a few days and need to know what's good. Any suggestions?

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Re: Any cool stuff in Los Angeles for synthesizer freaks?

Post by Shanesaw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:34 pm

You could check out Noisebug in Pomona. Give him a call first though as they only do appointments these days.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Are you driving or otherwise going to come within spitting distance of Berkely on the way? If so, I'd recommend dropping analoglsd a line and seeing if you can't get some time in at his studio. Lots of fun stuff there; I still need to go back and play around with the other half of the stuff I didn't get around to the first time I went.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:49 am

Very cool, I will look into Noisebug. I'm flying in so probably wont make it to Berkeley. Checked out the website though, looks pretty good. Thanks guys

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Peopleunderthesun wrote:I'm going to LA in a few days and need to know what's good. Any suggestions?
Perfect Circuit Audio in Burbank! It's a relatively new shop near Burbank Airport that has some vintage pieces and lots of modern desktop and modular synths. https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/

There's also Big City Music on Ventura Blvd in Studio City. Lots of modular and "boutique" synth stuff here. You need to make an appointment to visit: https://www.bigcitymusic.com/

If you're a vintage synth fan, you'll love Future Music in Highland Park: http://www.futuremusicstore.com/

We also are home of the flagship Guitar Center store in the country, on 7425 Sunset Blvd. The "Rock Walk" hall of fame in front of the store is a big tourist draw.