Things you do before buying a synth...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Things you do before buying a synth...

Post by griffin avid » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Wondering if beyond the normal stuff like ....
1) Checking/comparing prices
2) reading reviews
3) downloading the PDF manual....

Are there any other (not to be sensible, but to be neurotic....) things that you do before buying a new synth....

a) One thing I've done, is looked up the dimensions and mock-placed the synth around the studio- trying to figure out where I'll put it when it arrives.

b) watch youtube/product demos...obsessively...why, I don't know...

c) download pictures of the synth/item...

?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Things you do before buying a synth...

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 pm

I usually obsessively watch videos and reviews, check the manual if it's online, listen to MP3 clips, look at lots of pictures..I was doing that for 2 months before getting the Alesis Andromeda A6. And when I had it in my livingroom it was like a revelation. I could hardly sleep the first couple of nights cos I kept waking up to see if Andy was still there :D

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:26 pm

On the practical side I google used gear for common issues, availability of schematics, sourcing and costs of spare parts. Yes, before I purchase.

Neurotic stuff I do, for new gear, is obsessively check the local and regional store inventory on the website so I can go check things out. Even if its stuff I'm not that interested, just because it's new stuff. If its a craigslist, or ebay listing, I constantly stalk the listing/photos over and over. And yes the youtube demo thing as well.

I have done what Bitexion has done after purchase. Standing across the room, seeing how the new piece ties the room together with googly-eyes. It's a honeymoon phase, another topic could be made for when the honeymoon is over.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:28 pm

This is rarer and rarer these days, but I like to go to a store and try it in person. The problem with this is that where I live only GC carries synths these days and they are slow to get them on the floor.

It was two years before they had a Kronos to try. Forget about all the monos that have come out the last few years, other than a miniBrute in one store and a microBrute in another :pissed:

The sales guys tell you to just special order but then you have to buy it when it arrives :banghead:

I can drive into the city because the main Boston store sometimes has stock, but it's a hassle to do so unless I'm already pretty convinced I want it. It's just easier to buy online and return it if I don't like it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:31 pm

idk about yall but i spend too much damn time on modular grid before throwing away my :75:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Yeah trying synths in those big guitar outlets is just a hassle, and you feel like the staff don't want you to do it either.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:53 pm

my tip for buying new synths is to not rush out and get one new but wait a few months because some people are very impulsive and sell them 'not my thing' as the ads tend to read.
if you buy at a price so you can pass it on without loosing money..if its not your thing as well.

anyway its what i do....
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 am

I normally try to save up some money... or sell some other stuff to raise funds.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:44 am

I will check if it has DIN MIDI In/Out.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Is "check bank balance" the wrong answer? :lol:

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Is "check bank balance" the wrong answer? :lol:
This would depend greatly on your bank balance, I'd say.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Bitexion wrote:Yeah trying synths in those big guitar outlets is just a hassle, and you feel like the staff don't want you to do it either.
agree with you and meatball on this, I'm in New England and I think only smaller shops carry new synths, Guitar Centers don't have them although I did get to play with a Yamaha reface in CT but it was broken to bits so hard to connect with.

I recently went on vacation in Miami and the guitar center there had an Odyssey, some type of Moog Phatty, both Arturia brutes, the entire Aira line, all the roland boutique line, a Dave Smith tempest and a ton of other stuff I never expected to see in a guitar center.

I was playing that stuff for an hour while my friend rented some lights, drawing attention from the families in there trying to get their kids to take an interest in piano playing, good times, don't know why guitar centers in the northeast don't carry stuff, even NYC has barely anything, tiny guitar stores around here have more moog synth than guitar centers.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Bitexion wrote:I usually obsessively watch videos and reviews, check the manual if it's online, listen to MP3 clips, look at lots of pictures..I was doing that for 2 months before getting the Alesis Andromeda A6. And when I had it in my livingroom it was like a revelation. I could hardly sleep the first couple of nights cos I kept waking up to see if Andy was still there :D
This post makes me wish VSE had "Like" buttons. :mrgreen:

A few pieces of info I want from the seller:

* I want to see a few photographs so I can see what kind of general shape it is in.
* How much has it been gigged?
* Has it been modified? If so, what mods and who did them?
* If it takes a wall wart power supply, is that included?
* Does it come with any accessories like memory cards or expansion boards? Or spare parts?
* If it is a model that is known to have a specific issue (e.g., the Fizmo voltage regulator deal), has that been fixed, and who did it?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

JimReyes

Post by JimReyes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for the information , i was about to buy new synth for my niece.