Trying to find the best sequencer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
LoboLives

Trying to find the best sequencer

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:22 am

Hey all. I'm trying to find the best analog sequencer. I've read a few reviews on Dopefer and others and would like to hear your thoughts or suggestions.

I would like a sequencer that has a synth built into it. I want to make sure can transpose keys on the fly if a midi controller is hooked up to it. I would like there to be at least 32 steps which can be entered in by midi keyboard, be able to enter "ratchets" and I would like the ability to program chained sequences into songs and also if possible play multiple sequences at once with hopefully more than one sound setting on each. For example a white noise percussive sequence and a bass sequence on the other.

I was thinking about the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 but it can't do ratchets except with an external controller and it doesn't have a synth built into it and you can't chain the sequences together from what I'm hearing.

There is the idea of multiple Moog Mother 32s together but I don't believe you can chain sequences together from what I'm reading.

There is also the new Oberheim Mini Sequencer but I don't believe it has an external clock and you can run multiple sequences.

I don't want to break the bank on it too much but do you have any recommendations?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Trying to find the best sequencer

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 am

Do you really want an analog sequencer? The Mother 32 sequencer is digital... It sounds more like you want an analog synth with an onboard sequencer.

I'm not sure the Elektron Analog Four can ratchet, but it's the only synth I can think of that meets all your other needs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 am

meatballfulton wrote:Do you really want an analog sequencer? The Mother 32 sequencer is digital... It sounds more like you want an analog synth with an onboard sequencer.

I'm not sure the Elektron Analog Four can ratchet, but it's the only synth I can think of that meets all your other needs.
I don't mind if the sequencer itself is analog or digital as long as the actual sound source is analog which I believe the Mother 32 is.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 am

The Elektron Analog Four not only has the best sequencer on the planet, but also a terrific synth engine. I know you're saying you don't want to "break the bank," and all that. But trust me, spending $600 on a Moog Mother-32 is not a great investment for a one-oscillator synth. For a couple of hundred more on the used market, you can own a pro-level, four-voice analog poly (or mono, if you prefer) synthesizer, again with a terrific sequencer. The Mother-32, on the other hand, is really just meant to be one of many modules in a Eurorack setup. As a stand-alone machine, it's pretty "meh," in my opinion. I sold mine after owning it just a few weeks.

BTW, the A4 allows you to sequence the internal synth voices, of course, but also gives you CV/gate sequencing for external gear. For the money, I think it's one of the finest machines you can buy. And on the used market, the prices have come down a lot since it was introduced three years ago.

Just my $.02.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Aaron2 wrote:The Elektron Analog Four not only has the best sequencer on the planet, but also a terrific synth engine. I know you're saying you don't want to "break the bank," and all that. But trust me, spending $600 on a Moog Mother-32 is not a great investment for a one-oscillator synth. For a couple of hundred more on the used market, you can own a pro-level, four-voice analog poly (or mono, if you prefer) synthesizer, again with a terrific sequencer. The Mother-32, on the other hand, is really just meant to be one of many modules in a Eurorack setup. As a stand-alone machine, it's pretty "meh," in my opinion. I sold mine after owning it just a few weeks.

BTW, the A4 allows you to sequence the internal synth voices, of course, but also gives you CV/gate sequencing for external gear. For the money, I think it's one of the finest machines you can buy. And on the used market, the prices have come down a lot since it was introduced three years ago.

Just my $.02.
Thanks. I think you might be right. The Mother 32 is really only interesting if you chain multiple ones together. Can the Elektron Analog Four do what I'm looking for? Ratcheting? Chaining sequence? Transposing?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:47 pm

LoboLives wrote:Can the Elektron Analog Four do what I'm looking for? Ratcheting? Chaining sequence? Transposing?
You could just spend two minutes like I did and read the manual to find out.

Chaining: YES
Transposing: YES
Ratcheting: apparently not, at least that word is not found in the manual
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:57 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
LoboLives wrote:Can the Elektron Analog Four do what I'm looking for? Ratcheting? Chaining sequence? Transposing?
You could just spend two minutes like I did and read the manual to find out.

Chaining: YES
Transposing: YES
Ratcheting: apparently not, at least that word is not found in the manual
Hmm I'll take a look. Thanks. It seems the Elektron is the best option, especially if I can do multiple sequences at once. I'll have to e-mail Elektron to see if ratcheting is possible.

I'm still contemplating a Moog Mother 32 3 tier (mostly cause I love the sound-trying to get that Tangerine Dream/John Carpenter type sequencing) and switching between modules with a MIDI footswitch...I'm still confirming with Moog if that's possible.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:58 am

I gotta be honest here, I don't really know what "ratcheting" is. I've heard the term, but that's about it. The A4 can, if you want, play multiple sequences (up to four using just its internal voices) simultaneously, and they can all be different step lengths. Is that what you're talking about?

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 am

Aaron2 wrote:I gotta be honest here, I don't really know what "ratcheting" is. I've heard the term, but that's about it. The A4 can, if you want, play multiple sequences (up to four using just its internal voices) simultaneously, and they can all be different step lengths. Is that what you're talking about?
Ratcheting is doubling, tripling or quadrupling a single step. Tangerine Dream did it all the time. So as an example a 4 step sequence

Da Da Da Da

you could ratchet the second step so it goes

Da Dadada Da Da

The opening song here has a good example of ratcheting.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:50 am

Here this is the best way to explain it

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:57 am

LoboLives wrote:Here this is the best way to explain it

OK, I understand now. Can the A4 do it? If it does, I don't know how to do it. But that sequencer is so strong, I'd be surprised if it didn't have that function. I'm going to do some research on this.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 am

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the Sub37 sequencer (which might be the same as the Mother32, not sure) is really damn good.

64 steps
Duo track (2 pitches)
Mod track
Velocity
AT
Ratchets
Ties
Rests
Sequencer as mod source

Pretty much everything I've ever needed. With the Sub37 editor coming out soon this will really open up the sequencers power further.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:52 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the Sub37 sequencer (which might be the same as the Mother32, not sure) is really damn good.

64 steps
Duo track (2 pitches)
Mod track
Velocity
AT
Ratchets
Ties
Rests
Sequencer as mod source

Pretty much everything I've ever needed. With the Sub37 editor coming out soon this will really open up the sequencers power further.
I have a Sub 37. I don't think it can do ratchets and I don't think you can chain sequences together.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Are you open for modulars? Some fun sequencers in Eurorack that do ratchets. And you can build the synth you want included around it :)

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:10 pm

pflosi wrote:Are you open for modulars? Some fun sequencers in Eurorack that do ratchets. And you can build the synth you want included around it :)
I really want to get a Synthesizers.com modular system eventually and model it after a System 55 with multiple sequencers to recreate John Carpenter's early scores and Tangerine Dream stuff.

But that would cost at least $10,000 from what I'm guessing