Trying to find the best sequencer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Trying to find the best sequencer

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:00 pm

LoboLives wrote:I don't think it can do ratchets

It can. Perhaps you need the new firmware.

Getting a sequencer with the depth you want, with a synth built in....good luck.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Quasimidi Polymorph is another option, but it's not analog and it can't do ratchets I think :?:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 pm

It might be cheaper than you think...a lot cheaper. I've owned two dotcom systems, one was 22 spaces, the second 44 spaces...no sequencers, I sequenced them via MIDI. I was able to get the core of both used (cabinets, power supply and a handful of modules) then bought a few new modules to round the systems out. I only had about $2500 invested in the 44 space.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am

meatballfulton wrote:It might be cheaper than you think...a lot cheaper. I've owned two dotcom systems, one was 22 spaces, the second 44 spaces...no sequencers, I sequenced them via MIDI. I was able to get the core of both used (cabinets, power supply and a handful of modules) then bought a few new modules to round the systems out. I only had about $2500 invested in the 44 space.
Do you think you can help guide me in terms of what I need to build mine? I'd appreciate it very much.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:03 am

Buy this and then expand later. $4500.

Second sequencer for $1715.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:40 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Buy this and then expand later. $4500.

Second sequencer for $1715.
Thanks so much. I guess doing any more Oscillators is a bit overkill for what I'm looking for. This is the system Carpenter used... do you think a System 33 with extra sequencer would be fine or do you think I need to try and reconstruct this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fkUW8DeU6C4/U ... odular.jpg

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:28 pm

Baby steps!!! You can get an awful lot done with that small system, expand later when you have a better idea exactly what you need.

What I see in Carpenter's setup is two Moog systems being sequenced in tandem.

It's your money, do what you want. I'm just offering you my personal experience.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:54 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Baby steps!!! You can get an awful lot done with that small system, expand later when you have a better idea exactly what you need.

What I see in Carpenter's setup is two Moog systems being sequenced in tandem.

It's your money, do what you want. I'm just offering you my personal experience.
Thanks!