Rig advice?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
aqualung23
Gear: Roland Juno 106
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X
Band: MC Ion

Rig advice?

Post by aqualung23 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:19 pm

So I currently do a live looping project which uses bass, synth, electronic drums, guitar, ukulele, mandolin, flute, etc,etc, etc...as such I'm limited to one board, which right now is a Korg R3. I'd like to upgrade to a more powerful VA synth. The main sounds I want are good analog type basses, leads, and pads, but I also need piano, organ, elec piano, clavinet, sounds. Right now I'm considering 3 options, but I'd entertain others.

1. Yamaha An1x, also used to control VST apps from my iPad for real instrument sounds
2. King Korg
3. Just save up and get a Virus KC or TI

or....?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Rig advice?

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:43 am

I'm actually doing something similar, and use the An1x as my main board. I don't have as many acoustic instruments though. Here's a pic of what I'm using (the looper is a Ditto x4).

It's great for pads, basses, other things. It's not the best for sequences or arps, mainly because they don't listen to midi start/stop, but start as soon as you press the keys.

The tempo synced delay also produces few artifacts when getting midi tempo.

The preenFM2 is currently getting midi from it, but I may have the EA1 feed it sequences instead.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:30 am

If VA is the main thing you're looking for, a Virus TI is probably overkill.

A used Waldorf Q might be worth looking into. Also the Roland SH-01 Gaia, although I'm guessing you'd want an external controller to use with it since it has a limited keyboard.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:06 am

aqualung23 wrote:The main sounds I want are good analog type basses, leads, and pads, but I also need piano, organ, elec piano, clavinet, sounds.
Look at the Novation Ultranova, killer synth and nice and cheap.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 am

aqualung23 wrote:I also need piano, organ, elec piano, clavinet, sounds
If by "piano" you mean an acoustic piano, no VA can do that. They can do a reasonable job on the other keyboard sounds.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

aqualung23
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X

Post by aqualung23 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 am

meatballfulton wrote:
aqualung23 wrote:I also need piano, organ, elec piano, clavinet, sounds
If by "piano" you mean an acoustic piano, no VA can do that. They can do a reasonable job on the other keyboard sounds.
King Korg has acoustic piano sounds from another Korg model...but I haven't been able to play one yet to see if they are any good...it is strange that they don't make hybrid boards that do both.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm

Personally I'm planning to sell some gear to fund a Korg Kronos workstation. It can do everything making it the perfect single keyboard solution. Check one out if you can. Another option would be something like the Nord Stage, much more limited but no menu diving.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:54 am

Yamaha CS6X with AN & PF cards.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

aqualung23
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X

Post by aqualung23 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:35 am

Zamise wrote:Yamaha CS6X with AN & PF cards.
Interesting. It seems Yamaha has put out some awesome synths that look like cheap c**p. I feel like this is something you could find at a yard sale because no one would think it was worth 500 bucks.

aqualung23
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X

Post by aqualung23 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:36 am

Jabberwalky wrote:I'm actually doing something similar, and use the An1x as my main board. I don't have as many acoustic instruments though. Here's a pic of what I'm using (the looper is a Ditto x4).

It's great for pads, basses, other things. It's not the best for sequences or arps, mainly because they don't listen to midi start/stop, but start as soon as you press the keys.

The tempo synced delay also produces few artifacts when getting midi tempo.

The preenFM2 is currently getting midi from it, but I may have the EA1 feed it sequences instead.

Nice setup. What is the box on top of the an1x?

aqualung23
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X

Post by aqualung23 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
aqualung23 wrote:The main sounds I want are good analog type basses, leads, and pads, but I also need piano, organ, elec piano, clavinet, sounds.

The ultra nova is actually pretty comparable to the R3 that I'm already using. I actually prefer the R3.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:01 pm

aqualung23 wrote:
Zamise wrote:Yamaha CS6X with AN & PF cards.
Interesting. It seems Yamaha has put out some awesome synths that look like cheap c**p. I feel like this is something you could find at a yard sale because no one would think it was worth 500 bucks.
I'm not sure about that....

...but I'm a fanboy. I'd drop $500 on a CS6x if one showed up in nice shape. The plug in cards sound real good but are a pain to program...you need a Windows computer to do it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:33 pm

aqualung23 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

The ultra nova is actually pretty comparable to the R3 that I'm already using. I actually prefer the R3.
Have you used an Ultranova? I played both for a while before getting the Ultranova, I actually originally was planning on getting the R3 but the Ultranova completely slays it.

aqualung23
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X

Post by aqualung23 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:35 am

^^^Yeah I tried it out at a shop. I thought they were pretty similar. Ultranova has aftertouch and a better vocoder, but the r3 has two timbres while the novation has only one. Plus I got my r3 for $350 brand new ($150 factory rebate). Granted the build quality of the r3 is pretty crummy, but it's got some great sounds once you do some tweaking.

Xynurse

Post by Xynurse » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Check out thecYamaha MX49 or 61.
It's fairly inexpensive, but loaded with awesome, useable sounds.