Synths on New Order's Techinque

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mis psiquicios y yo

Synths on New Order's Techinque

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:35 pm

It is much known what gear New Order used in the early 80's but no so much on what they used later. My favorite album from them is Technique, so do you now what synths, drum machines, sequencers they used there?
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Synths on New Order's Techinque

Post by Z » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:23 pm

The Roland D-50 had just been released a couple years earlier and found its way on all of the "dance" tracks on Technique, especially the "Fantasia" preset.

Lots of Roland TR-909, TR-808 & TR-727 on the dance trance.

Bass lines sound like an FM synth.

Technique came out my senior year of high school, so it always brings back memories when I listen to it. Good stuff.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

DeeTaco

Post by DeeTaco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

I know some of the tracks on that album used the Roland TB-303!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:08 pm

DeeTaco wrote:I know some of the tracks on that album used the Roland TB-303!
Which songs? I'm not hearing any 303. Lots of FM bass.

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:39 pm

e mu emulater 3, atari st,yamaha qx3,d50 as mentioned,i read somewhere roland r8,and also a yamaha fm synth
probably a dx7,possbly still using the voyetra 8 synth also

Benetton93

Post by Benetton93 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Factory all stars wrote:also a yamaha fm synth probably a dx7
As far as i know New Order used Yamaha DX5, not DX7. ;)

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 pm

there's some good footage on you tube from 89 ,called big world cafe ,they play 4 off technique. also,post your question on neworderonline,someone there will certainly know

DeeTaco

Post by DeeTaco » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Z wrote:
Sorry I probably should've stated some examples, but songs like "Fine Time" and "Vanishing Point." I read somewhere that they used the 303 on those songs, but they did it in a way that was different then the way it was being used in Acid House at the time. I'm pretty convinced that they used the 303 on that album especially though because they were heavily influenced by the Acid House scene during that period so much so that they even recorded the album (at least half of it) in Ibiza. I'm not gonna say 100% that they used the 303 just because someone said so on the internet, but the information i've read so far has me convinced that the 303 was used in those songs.

Also if you give those songs a real good listen it actually does sound like the 303, but again this is just a guess.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:31 pm

DeeTaco wrote:
Z wrote:
Sorry I probably should've stated some examples, but songs like "Fine Time" and "Vanishing Point." I read somewhere that they used the 303 on those songs, but they did it in a way that was different then the way it was being used in Acid House at the time. I'm pretty convinced that they used the 303 on that album especially though because they were heavily influenced by the Acid House scene during that period so much so that they even recorded the album (at least half of it) in Ibiza. I'm not gonna say 100% that they used the 303 just because someone said so on the internet, but the information i've read so far has me convinced that the 303 was used in those songs.

Also if you give those songs a real good listen it actually does sound like the 303, but again this is just a guess.
Yeah, I definitely hear some 303 on Fine Time! Speaking of Fine Time, i don't think the synth bass was a DX5 or other fm synth, it seems much more analog no? And for the lambs a EIII

So, for the beats no 909 just a R8?
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 am

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:
Yeah, I definitely hear some 303 on Fine Time! Speaking of Fine Time, i don't think the synth bass was a DX5 or other fm synth, it seems much more analog no? And for the lambs a EIII
I gave it another listing and it does sound like a 303 starting a 0:40. Bass on all the "dance" tracks is definitely FM. Sounds like a TX81z preset, but could indeed be a DX5 or any other FM.
So, for the beats no 909 just a R8?
I doubt the Roland R-8 was used on Technique. The R-8 was released in 1989 (summer, I think), but the album was release in January 1989, and was recorded in 1988.

Either real 727, 808 & 909 were used or damn good samples of them.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Like a lot of dance Brits, they also used a lot of TX816 at the time. Yamaha FM as you say.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:05 pm

The bass on Bizarre Love Triangle sounds like a modified E.Bass patch from a Dx7.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 pm

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:Yeah, I definitely hear some 303 on Fine Time! Speaking of Fine Time, i don't think the synth bass was a DX5 or other fm synth, it seems much more analog no?
To me the main basslines on the electronic tracks of "Technique" all sound like FM synthesis. The liquidy bassline playing over top of the main one in "Fine Time" does not sound like a 303 to me. I have one and use it frequently. This one sounds too liquidy even for a 303, almost like there is frequency modulation on the filter cutoff.
The 303 has more of a "throaty" quality, especially when using the sawtooth waveform. Higher cutoff settings are less liquid and more "squeal".
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:27 am

Solderman wrote:
mis psiquicios y yo wrote:Yeah, I definitely hear some 303 on Fine Time! Speaking of Fine Time, i don't think the synth bass was a DX5 or other fm synth, it seems much more analog no?
To me the main basslines on the electronic tracks of "Technique" all sound like FM synthesis. The liquidy bassline playing over top of the main one in "Fine Time" does not sound like a 303 to me. I have one and use it frequently. This one sounds too liquidy even for a 303, almost like there is frequency modulation on the filter cutoff.
The 303 has more of a "throaty" quality, especially when using the sawtooth waveform. Higher cutoff settings are less liquid and more "squeal".
Right, most of the basslines of electronic tracks sound like FM, like on Round & Round and Mr. Disco, but I think that's not the case with Fine Time, sounds analog to me. The liquidy bassline on that song seems to me like a 303, but with a no traditional patch, very short sustain, no release and not so much resonance. But well, I've never played a 303, so you may know better.
mis psiquicos y yo

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 am

mis psiquicios y yo wrote:And for the lambs a EIII
More likely an EII, because they already owned one and that is an EII factory patch. They/ Barney also use the EII orchestra hit on almost every song :)