Share your great modular synth patches?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Share your great modular synth patches?

Postby Bitexion » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Every time I sit down with my modular system I tend to do the same kinda "boring" stuff that sounds like a Minimoog or anything other than a modular system really. I make 3 VCO basses with some modulation and an 8-step sequence, or stuff that I could do on many other synthesizers (not at least the A6 Andromeda).

So in this thread I am looking for suggestions to make those "crazy" sounds modular synths are famous for. Sound that you can ONLY do on a modular synth. Trippy sequences that are self-sustaining.
I'm sometimes experimenting and just stumble across some weird stuff, leave it there for a week, and pull down all the cords and start afresh.
I'll start by listing all my modules so you know what I have to work with. It's all Analogue Systems. I do know what all the modules do basically, I've owned various synths for two decades. I just feel a bit lost with this modular synth, so I only make the sounds I know how to make :)

1 3x8 step sequencer
1 gate delay for the sequencer (that I almost never use I don't know what you can do with it)
1 sequential switch (lets you change rows or chain them together in a long sequence)
1 multimode filter (24db LP, BP, HP, Notch)
1 BBD comb filter (makes everything sound insane with a bit of resonance
2 4-1 signal mixers (balanced output)
3 VCO's (0,3Hz-17kHz)
2 envelope generators
1 ringmod
1 VCA
1 modulation controller (features an lfo, noise gen, random gen, and an extra VCA that I never use)
2 2x5 multiples
1 frequency divider (divides any input signal down by 2/4/8)
1 Octave controller (mostly control stuff to route MIDI/CV to vco's, octave step switches and such)
1 digital MIDI/CV converter

Now this is a pretty basic system, and I'm sure I could make some really spacey stuff on it, I just don't have the know-how or knowledge. So I end up setting up a fat bass sequence or similar that I could do on other synths too.
I want the "trippy modular sounds". Let's say some money came my way just when I was pining for something different a few years ago and I went "all-in".

Any help? I know some of you own modular systems too. 8-)
Last edited by Bitexion on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Share your great modular synth patches?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:37 am

OK, your system is pretty small and very vanilla and is seriously lacking in VCAs and interesting modulation option, but for a start patch the things that you can't do on a regular synth:

Modulate the frequency of the comb filter with the sequencer
Run separate 8 step sequences to two VCOs and play the third from the keyboard, with envelopes triggered by the sequencer not the keyboard.
use the gate delay to allow your envelopes to trigger at different times. Put the gate from the sequencer to one envelope and the gate delay, then the output of the gate delay to the other envelope. Trigger something interesting with the second envelope for example use that envelope to open a VCA which is patched between a VCO and filter FM, so the FM comes in suddenly after the gate delay. Or use it to fade in a suboctave from the freq divider.

Basically, just sit there and patch. Make your usual boring vanilla patch and then repatch it so that no sources are patched to the same destination. Run all your modulation sources at audio rate. Try using audio processing devices on CVs. Do a whole heap of things that you can't imagine what they would result in and you'll find a few cool tricks which you can use later on.

ALSO: read and listen to all of this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78524
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:38 am

Not sure if this is too quaint/ anal, but do you ever keep a journal of what you patch/ what the results are? U immagine it would be pretty easy now with apps like one note, etc. To even complete the entries with pictures and audio clips. Might help, or at least just be a good resource for people who come after you. Like a modular synth grimiore
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:27 am

ninja6485 wrote:Not sure if this is too quaint/ anal, but do you ever keep a journal of what you patch/ what the results are? U immagine it would be pretty easy now with apps like one note, etc. To even complete the entries with pictures and audio clips. Might help, or at least just be a good resource for people who come after you. Like a modular synth grimiore

I don't know how much use that would be to someone else as each artist's modular is unique and most modules can be used in so many different ways that how you might use one particular module in one system is completely different to how you would use it in a different system, and would result in different sounds.

Rather than trying to document what a modular can do and tell that to someone else you need to just keep using it until you know a lot of different things you can do with each part of your system and have that knowledge in your head for when you're patching. There's too much information and too many variables to keep track of it on paper.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Bitexion » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:42 pm

I've written down the patch cords and knob placements in notepad sometimes yeah. I used to do that alot in the beginning. Almost impossible to recreate a patch though. You can get the patch points correct but finding those sweet spots with the knobs is difficult.
That text file got pretty big eventually.

I just need some guidance so I get my head out of those "boring" minimoog-like patches and into modular madness.
The first reply was great I'll try that when I get home. I have a couple modules that I*ve never really used. I bought the "basic" RS-15 system from a store, then added an extra RS-15 cabinet and a few more modules in that. The MIDI/CV module has it's own "modwheel LFO speed/quantity" so I don't have to use the LFO for that.

My modular has roughly the same functionality as an ARP2600 I think, if you look at the module list in my first post.

I could look at patches for that synth for some inspiration I suppose. :ugeek:

Edit:
I have space at the bottom for 4-5 more modules, do you have any suggestions (that fit the AS power supply) from other manufacturers, stuff that is "just fun/crazy"?
I don't know what I'd use a second VCA for, to me that is just something that sends the sound out of the system to my mixer.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby pflosi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:ALSO: read and listen to all of this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78524

Thanks mate, highly appreciate the linking! :thumbleft:

As for the OP: Yeah, I'd also second trying stuff you cannot do with (most) hardwired architecture synths. Stab has mentioned a few interesting ideas, let me try to expand them a bit more.

• The switch is not just for changing rows in the sequencer. Use it to switch stuff around! For example, try to put different waveforms of an oscillator to the switch, then from there to a filter. Now use something to switch those waveforms. Try your sequencer or keyboard gate so you'll get another waveform on each hit. Or try the square output of your VCO, so it will switch waveforms at audiorates on each wave cycle. And so on...
  • Feedforward and feedback FM. Put the filter source to the filter FM input. Or the filter output! Try the same with the BBD comb filter / phaser. Put a VCA in the FM path and gate it (maybe w/ the trigger delay, as Stabs mentions)!
  • Those mixers don't have actual "balanced" outputs, I guess what you mean is that inverted outputs are available? Great, invert those feedback loops and see what happens. Or use it to make an inverted copy of an LFO and use the two to control two things.
  • The AS ringmod is a four quadrant multiplier - like a VC attenuverter. Try to use it for modulation sources! Or try the "octave up" trick by putting a sine wave into both of its inputs. Also, feed vocals and a sine osc to it - exterminate!
  • Use the divider to create suboctaves. Or to clock the switch (see ideas above) only at a subdivision of whatever clock you initially sent there.
  • Clock the sequencer at audiorate (with a VCO) and listen to its CV output.
  • And so on and so on and so on! Tons of options and tons of threads / tips / ideas out there.

Cheers!

Flo
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Bitexion » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Hugely appreciated, both Stab and Pflosi.
I was kind of expecting a good scolding like "get good ya n00b, you dont deserve to own a modular system". :lol:

These are the kinds of ideas I don't get myself, I'm more used to creating patches on pre-patched synths, so I tend to replicate the methods, like hooking 3 vco's to mixer, mixer to filter, filter to VCA, and some modulation on the side. Or do hardsync and pitch modulate one of the VCOs..Maybe run a step sequence too. Or run two VCO's into the ringmod and mess with the output signal.
Not exactly brain busting stuff. So these tips help me alot. I love it when I set up something really strange that just runs on its own, though.

I rarely set up patches that use an external keyboard. Maybe I should do that more. But then I "waste" an EG to make the sound stop every time i release a key, right? Plus I have to drag one of my keyboards over to where the modular is situated (right next to my PC screen, so the area is quite cluttered already)

I wonder how I could set up a "drum machine" for instance, the freq.divider could set the tempo, which then triggers stuff to make hihats and snare and bass drum, since all the outputs are exactly half the speed of eachother.
The sequencer rows create seperate triggers too, I could use that for something in the drum patch.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:50 am

Bitexion wrote:I wonder how I could set up a "drum machine" for instance, the freq.divider could set the tempo, which then triggers stuff to make hihats and snare and bass drum, since all the outputs are exactly half the speed of eachother.
The sequencer rows create seperate triggers too, I could use that for something in the drum patch.

I would use the sequencer to trigger it, just using the divider would get boring pretty fast. Or use both!

For a kick - VCO sine wave output (or sine with a little bit of square mixed in) or self-oscillating filter, set to very low frequency with a short AD envelope modulating pitch and a longer AD envelope modulating volume.
For snare - similar to the kick but pitched up higher, more square than sine, with noise mixed in too. Modulate the volumes of the pitched and noise parts separately, with longer decay on the noise. You can get away with just gating the pitched part with the trigger, in the past I've made decent snares just from running noise into a VCA modulated (on/off) by the trigger and then running the output of that into a PT2399 delay with a medium amount of feedback to get the decay. If you have a LPG you can do snares easily just with noise into the LPG being pinged by the trigger.
For hats - white noise through a VCA modulated by an AD envelope (perhaps with a HPF) will get you classic hissy drumbox 70s hats. For clangy metallic hats you need a bunch of detuned oscs, but you could manage it with the ringmod probably.

Regarding "wasting" an EG to make the sound stop, wouldn't that happen even if you weren't using the keyboard? Also using a modular isn't about doing things the easy way, dragging a keyboard over next to it is probably the easiest thing there is when it comes to using modular.
Stab Frenzy

Postby stephenmendes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 pm

My modular synthesizer patches are all shared on Youtube

http://youtube.com/user/stephenmendes1
stephenmendes

Postby stephenmendes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Here is a bagpipe patch.... which can be built with a minimal system..... so good for entry level persons now getting started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lYFPcKOxWw
stephenmendes

Postby stephenmendes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:29 am

A Shepard scale seems to go on forever and it's an interesting sonic illusion !

Not only does this patch play a convincing Shepard scale..... but it shows you how you can stretch a 1V-per-octave CV signal over approx. 5 volts.... necessary for this patch to work.... but also could be useful technique for controlling filter frequency or resonance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkrvyR0STs
stephenmendes

Return to General Synthesizers