Can you trigger the LinnDrum with Simmons SDS pads?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Can you trigger the LinnDrum with Simmons SDS pads?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:34 am

While I'm waiting for my SDSV brain to show up, I took some pictures of the 'rare' hi-hat pedal to see what the big deal was about using the original pedal and not an aftermarket...

Supposedly it uses some light-blocking trick to produce the closed hat and when the pedal is lifted up it unblocks the light and produces the open sound. Pretty interesting stuff.

Here's the inside of an SDSV pad...

I am missing the bass drum pad, which I'm on the lookout for, but seriously all this thing is is a piece of plywood with a piezo pickup, Lexan polycarbonate sheet and formed aluminum edging. Besides the acrylic backing, I could probably make one of these if need be...

Here's a cymbal that came with my lot that I can't identify, but it has a piezo pickup at the bell and is mounted on a heavy spring. I had to re-wire the XLR plug tonight to get it to produce signal; not sure how it worked before...

I like vintage synths....

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:24 am

The pedal seems like the same from the SDS7, but mine didn't work for unknown reason. Don't have the kit anymore, so I can't investigate more...
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon May 02, 2016 3:10 am

I was able to get the triggering working from the pads; I just needed to amplify the signal from them going to the trigger inputs on the Linn (done with a mixer and the individual outputs). So that gave me something to play with in the meantime.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Mon May 02, 2016 7:52 am

Yeah, the Linn probably expects level close to a TTL (5V) on its trigger inputs, so direct signal from pickups could be too small. SDS-V had two sets of inputs - one for pads, and another for sequencing. Pad inputs had additdional preamps.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon May 02, 2016 2:05 pm

adamstan wrote:Yeah, the Linn probably expects level close to a TTL (5V) on its trigger inputs, so direct signal from pickups could be too small. SDS-V had two sets of inputs - one for pads, and another for sequencing. Pad inputs had additdional preamps.
I was actually wondering how that was going to work; I still haven't gotten the SDSV brain yet so in the meantime I was trying to see what else I could play with lol. Makes sense. What would be cool too is hooking up the Linn to a couple of pads in conjunction with the brain (because mine is coming with the hi-hat module but apparently only 2 tom-tom modules) so I can get some different flavors and I have enough pads to get that working.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 am

adamstan wrote:Yeah, the Linn probably expects level close to a TTL (5V) on its trigger inputs, so direct signal from pickups could be too small. SDS-V had two sets of inputs - one for pads, and another for sequencing. Pad inputs had additdional preamps.
Yeah, I guess the input was more for a Trigger (CV/Gate type) rather than Passive...
Although gaining that signal should be enough, like the OP did.

You could also go the other, long route;
get a MIDI Pad, connect that to either a MIDI to Trigger interface or an old drum machine with individual outs -> Linn Trigger In?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

hageir wrote:Yeah, I guess the input was more for a Trigger (CV/Gate type) rather than Passive...
Although gaining that signal should be enough, like the OP did.

You could also go the other, long route;
get a MIDI Pad, connect that to either a MIDI to Trigger interface or an old drum machine with individual outs -> Linn Trigger In?
Well fortunately the Linn does accept audio signal on the inputs, so if I just boost the signal of the pad's Piezo using a mixer and then send that individual output to one of the Linn trigger inputs, it works fine. I was surprised it worked, actually! Noob issues :)

Got the Simmons last night, and at first I was really mad because I didn't think it worked right, until I realized my unit is an older 220v model... oops! I ran to the shop and grabbed the 220v step-up transformer to test it out and sure enough everything is working great. I still need stands for the pads but man, those modules trigger so well! I wasn't sure if you could really play them like real drums and do rolls and stuff but they're not only dynamic, they track like I never expected. Never thought I'd be so excited to own electronic drums...lol. So now that I have it working and have more pads than modules, I thought I'd add some of the Linn sounds to the kit - waiting on Forat to get back to me on some original Tom Tom eproms to swap out the lame timbale ones that came with mine.