Synthesiser Footswitch - What's inside them?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SunflowerGUY
Gear: Yamaha S-30
HP All-in-One PC
Cakewalk Sonar X1
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Gretsch Electromatic

Synthesiser Footswitch - What's inside them?

Post by SunflowerGUY » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 am

Hello,

I have a Yamaha S-30 Synthesiser, but I don't have the Footswitch.
What's inside them? Is it simply a ON-OFF switch, or do they produce a variable Voltage or Resistance, as a way of expressing Sustain?

Also, there are a lot of footswitches available to buy online, but are there special requirements for my Yam S-30?

Would this one be OK to buy?
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/MAU-SP2

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Synthesiser Footswitch - What's inside them?

Post by Bitexion » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:33 am

You can buy any cheap sustain pedal and plug it into the sust pedal input on the synth. Those are just on/off switches really, the synth handles the sustain time and release on its own. You just need to trigger the input with something.

Expression pedals have variable voltage so that you can change things like Filter cutoff or volume with them. That is not what you want.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:54 am

There is one catch with footswitches. They can be NO or NC (normally open or normally closed) - it is usually called "polarity" on sustain pedals. Some instruments recognize initial state on power-on, and then respond to change - with these you are good with any kind of footswitch. However some synths require specific kind, and if you connect the other one - the footswitch effect is reversed. Some pedals have little slide switch on the back to configure them.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Most modern Yamaha synth sustain pedals are opposite polarity to Roland/Korg/everyone else. That includes the S30, but interestingly their consumer boards like the DJX I owned had "normal" polarity.

So either buy one that is specified as having switchable polarity or buy an FC-4 (piano style) or FC-5.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:But interestingly their consumer boards like the DJX I owned had "normal" polarity.
They (PSRs etc) accept both - that's why they warn in the manuals to not have footswitch depressed during power-up.

Another interesting thing - the FC-5 footswitch has two non-moving contacts - upper and lower - so it can be rewired with a soldering iron. It is very easy to disassemble - just unscrew those two big screws on the sides and take it apart.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

db0451

Post by db0451 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:32 pm

adamstan wrote:There is one catch with footswitches. They can be NO or NC (normally open or normally closed) - it is usually called "polarity" on sustain pedals. Some instruments recognize initial state on power-on, and then respond to change - with these you are good with any kind of footswitch. However some synths require specific kind, and if you connect the other one - the footswitch effect is reversed. Some pedals have little slide switch on the back to configure them.
More so, here's a warning regarding expression pedals at least; I dunno whether it can affect sustain switches: Apparently, using the wrong type in some synths can be fatal. This discussion claims that plugging a TS pedal to a TRS-expecting Kawai K5000 - or plugging in one with the wrong polarity - might short the (obviously extremely well-designed!) PSU and fry the motherboard: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/K50 ... opics/9048