PreenFm2 Demo

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

PreenFm2 Demo

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat May 07, 2016 1:40 pm

I just finished a demo for the DIY FM synth PreenFM2.

I love this synth. It has so many unique features, and a really wide sound palette.

It was a really simple build, with no issues.

I've been through the gamut of FM synths, and this one beats them all. It has a great form factor (sits on the side of any synth) and the metal case is solid.

This demo was originally a 30+minute in depth spec review, but I chopped it down to leave just the playing parts. I might upload the full review if anyone is interested.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: PreenFm2 Demo

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Noice :) ! Did you manage to get a kit or did you buy the PCBS etc and source the components your self? Would have bought one, but am lazy, so bought a reface DX instead :lol: Can it load DX 7 patches?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat May 07, 2016 5:37 pm

I waited for a long time until the kit was available. It can load Dx7 patches, but not everything translates directly. Some patches sound really close (like Tubular Bells) but some others are off a bit. Once I realized that it's own engine is far more powerful than the Dx7, I stopped being concerned with that.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Sat May 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Nice!

Best FM demo I've heard in a long while coming out of any module/keyboard.

FM has such a wide palette for those of us willing to contend with it. I'm having to make do with the compromise that's implemented on my Nord Wave but it's still fun and I'm always on the look out for another box. The Preen and MIDIbox FM are on my wishlist.

Ixox

Post by Ixox » Sun May 08, 2016 9:56 am

Hi Jabberwalky,

I'm Xavier, the preenfm2 creator and i really love your video.
Do you allow me to put it on the preenfm2 web site ?

I would be really interested in seeing your full length review video.
Would you mind sharing you Bank.bnk file ? Your sounds are great. Islands (5'17) and Emax (5'56) are beautifull.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun May 08, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks Kayvon

This really makes navigating the FM architecture a lot more intuitive. You can quickly scroll through the menus with press+hold shortcuts, and lots of the params update in real time (unlike DX synths). It's f**k excellent for quickly creating new songs.

and hi Xavier!

I've got to say, that you absolutely nailed it on this synth. It's brilliant in so many ways. Thank you for putting in all the hard work and adding that subtle flair that really makes it unique. (Things like performance knobs, huge matrix mod, filter, looping envelopes, extremely easy patch naming, and the best randomizer ever!)

I'm fine with you posting it on your site. I can finish editing the full length review as well in a couple weeks. I'll send you my bank file as well (can you pm your email?). Glad you liked it :) Cheers.

Ixox

Post by Ixox » Sun May 08, 2016 11:05 pm

Thanks for the nice words.
Yes it really seems you spent some time with your preenfm2. ;)

Loading the DX7 patches is far from perfect but it can be a great start for creating new patches.
DX7 import + randomize the Modulation can quickly give interesting sounds.
I'm glad you like the randomizer, the modular idea came from someone on the forum. I also like the result :)

The preenfm2 really lacks tutorial/review video, as you seem to know it quite well, your video would be very usefull.

Thanks