Full circle. Interested what your choices would be.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ats
Gear: Korg DSS-1
Behringer Model D x2
Kurzweil K2000R
Roland Juno 60
Roland XV3080
Roland MKS-70
DSI Prophet Rev2
Yamaha TX802
Ensoniq VFX
Technics WSA1

Full circle. Interested what your choices would be.

Post by ats » Sat May 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Back in 1993 i bought my first real synth a Kurzweil 2000. I had drooled over it for a few months at our local music store and finally after the sales guy got tired of me playing with his floor demo i pulled the trigger on it. That began a synth addiction that over the next 23 years brought 80 + synths in and outa my house, analog , digital , workstations i was into everything. At one point i had 18 synths and modules packed into my tiny music room. Then came the softsynths after collecting and trying numerous ones i became convinced hardware was obsolete so i sold all my remaining hardware and kept one keyboard as a controller. This was fine for a while i don't play out or gig but after a while i felt like something was missing....

Hardware, i missed the gear. I didn't want to always be tethered to my computer anymore. So i thought long and hard about what i would get again what i missed the most out of the gear i had or even something different. I didn't want to have a huge collection again so i decided to limit it to two choices. A worksation was a must something that by itself could cover alot of ground and sound good. I had quite a few besides the k2000 & 2500 , Roland XP80, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Fusion , Roland Fantom X8 and G6, Ensoniq TS12, Yamaha Motif & SY77 to name a few. interestingly in the end it was the K2000 that won out for its warm sounding & powerful synth engine (not just another rompler) and its superb orchestral sounds. So i picked up K2000R model with orchestral rom and sampling option.

Next i needed a synth with keys i wanted a keybed with good action and after touch with a focus on the analog side of things. having had a few decent analog synths, Roland Juno 6 , Alpha Juno 1&2 , Korg poly 61 & 800 , Moog Slim Phatty ,Yamaha CS5 and SK30, SCI Prophet 600 and Six Trax , Korg Dw8000 , Ensoniq Sq80, Roland Sh1000 Oberheim Matrix 6, DSI Evolver. and on the virtual side i had the Yamaha AN1x , Alesis Ion , Roland JP8000, Micro Korg Access Virus B. While i loved each one of those synths in its own way the choice here was easy. The AN1x was the one i missed the most and bonus it has a awesome keybed.

Prior to getting my original AN1x the only real analog keyboard i has had was the Korg Poly 800. So it would seem i have come full circle and ended up pretty much were i began with the K2000 & AN1X. Funny how that worked out :)

I am in no way suggesting my choices are the best choices for everyone. I'd be interested to hear what two synths you would pick if you could only have two.

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Re: Full circle. Interested what your choices would be.

Post by thefonz003 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Hmmm...interesting. Are we talking with cost being no object?

In my case, I have only two keyboard synths anyway, a Yamaha SY77 and a Korg DSS-1. I'd probably stick with them. They're both really good synths and they compliment each other pretty well.

If cost is no object I might trade in one of them for a Korg Kronos since it can do a bajillion types of synthesis. It'd probably be the Yamaha that got the boot in that case, much as I love it. The DSS-1 has a true analog filter and, while the digital filters on the SY77 are powerful, the analog filters on the DSS-1 are simply amazing. Perfect for pads.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat May 07, 2016 11:10 pm

If cost in no concern DSI Prophet 12 and Moog Voyager. Obviously can't afford ether of these, but they'd be pretty cool. ;)

ats
Gear: Korg DSS-1
Behringer Model D x2
Kurzweil K2000R
Roland Juno 60
Roland XV3080
Roland MKS-70
DSI Prophet Rev2
Yamaha TX802
Ensoniq VFX
Technics WSA1

Post by ats » Sun May 08, 2016 5:16 am

thefonz003 wrote:Hmmm...interesting. Are we talking with cost being no object?

In my case, I have only two keyboard synths anyway, a Yamaha SY77 and a Korg DSS-1. I'd probably stick with them. They're both really good synths and they compliment each other pretty well.

If cost is no object I might trade in one of them for a Korg Kronos since it can do a bajillion types of synthesis. It'd probably be the Yamaha that got the boot in that case, much as I love it. The DSS-1 has a true analog filter and, while the digital filters on the SY77 are powerful, the analog filters on the DSS-1 are simply amazing. Perfect for pads.

Sure, cost no object.

I really liked the SY77 alot i ended up downsizing it to the TG77 module. It was so much easier to use than my old DX7 & TX816 setup. The Korg DSS-1 is one of my all time favs for pads it wasn't the most user friendly as a sampler but it wasn't the worst . It did sound glorious though. Those dual delays are very good. The pads are some of the best i ever got out of any synth i have owned.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue May 17, 2016 10:44 am

If money was no object? That's easy.

For a mono - the most expensive synth Ken MacBeth has. :D
For a poly, I'd probably go for the Modal Electronics 008. I had a chance to play this analogue monster a year ago, and I still dream about it..

Realistically though, I absolutely love my Korg MS-20, and I can't part with it. Have had it for years, and haven't got bored of it yet. For a poly, I'd take a look around at the Clavia Nord stuff, to replace my Nord Rack. I find as I get older, I am definitely preferring hands on.

Also, if I can through a little something else into the mix, I bought an Arturia Beatstep 6 months ago, and it's really changed the way I write and enjoy music. It's a very hands-on, very simple 16-note step sequencer, and it's honestly been the most fun I've had for a while. Arturia really seem to appreciate the value of zero-menu diving, accessible music making. This is also the case with their MiniBrute, another little gem I bought at the same time. Quite an incredible little single VCO synth.

Anyway, hope this helps,
Cheers