Polysix ensemble effect

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
akadavar

Polysix ensemble effect

Post by akadavar » Sun May 08, 2016 9:02 am

Does anyone know device that would allow me to reproduce polysix ensemble effect (especially in analog way)? I used to love this ability on my p6 till it died. I've got very similar effect nowdays on my kawai but it would be nice to use it on the other sort of more powerful synths.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Polysix ensemble effect

Post by garranimal » Sun May 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Jurgen Haible's Triple Chorus is the closest thing, but it has to be built from PCBs that are still available. Its design comes from the ARP Solina and the Polysix 3-BBD ensemble circuits.

The Synthoma Elkorus is no longer in production it seems, but available at Wutierson.

The Oakley Sound SE330 has a quad-BBD ensemble mode, which is more akin to the VP-330. So it is a thicker, more swirly sound than the polysix.

I don't know why there aren't more 3-bbd modulated chorus modules out there. I've heard of instances where chorus boards have been ripped from dead synths, sometimes they come up for sale on ebay.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun May 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah, pretty much what garranimal said. The Elkorus will get you there. The Oakley is great too but different, definitely more "Roland".

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon May 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Maybe some 90s Korg Digital Effect (rack unit probably) will have a "Ensemble" emulation? I'd say that's the closest (made by Korg) OR you could hunt down the Ensemble board from a Polysix and mod it into a stand-alone unit? I dunno...
Ps. Korg effects from a similar period maybe? Like the Korg stompboxes or analog racks?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Tue May 10, 2016 8:55 am

The Boss SE-70 FX Processor has a an algorithm called "Wave Chorus" which will emulate the 3 phase ensemble effect. It's perfect for that vintage string sound - of course you'll need to get your hands on an SE-70 though ;)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue May 10, 2016 11:51 am

A tri and a sine LFO modulating two chorus lines on L and R, one normal and one inverted...That's pretty much the classical "Roland" chorus setup and will give you a nice Dimension D, CE1, JU60 sound. But not really the P6 Ensemble.

The Oakley SE330 does this in its "Dimension" mode. With actual BBDs, of course.
hageir wrote:you could hunt down the Ensemble board from a Polysix and mod it into a stand-alone unit?
Please do not sacrifice a working or repairable Polysix for the FX board! If you really want that, keep the synth: There's a P6 mod to add an input to the FX.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue May 10, 2016 2:20 pm

pflosi wrote:Please do not sacrifice a working or repairable Polysix for the FX board! If you really want that, keep the synth: There's a P6 mod to add an input to the FX.
Also, for the cost of some of these chorus modules mentioned you could get your P6 repaired/upgraded to a Kiwisix.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue May 10, 2016 3:02 pm

pflosi wrote:
hageir wrote:you could hunt down the Ensemble board from a Polysix and mod it into a stand-alone unit?
Please do not sacrifice a working or repairable Polysix for the FX board! If you really want that, keep the synth: There's a P6 mod to add an input to the FX.
Of course not! :o
That's pure blasphemy haha
I was more talking about something like this:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/1953713-korg ... re-klm-368
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 am

I have a mti adl-100 and it might be something to consider. Mine is a little beat up and I can't say for certain how well it functions because I don't have any idea what a perfectly functioning unit sounds like, but it definitely is a decent chorus.

http://www.modezero.com/mti-ensemble.htm

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 am

30h5 wrote:I have a mti adl-100 and it might be something to consider. Mine is a little beat up and I can't say for certain how well it functions because I don't have any idea what a perfectly functioning unit sounds like, but it definitely is a decent chorus.

http://www.modezero.com/mti-ensemble.htm
That's a nice piece, never heard of it. Examples sound good.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 pm

hageir wrote:Maybe some 90s Korg Digital Effect (rack unit probably) will have a "Ensemble" emulation? I'd say that's the closest (made by Korg) OR you could hunt down the Ensemble board from a Polysix and mod it into a stand-alone unit? I dunno...
Ps. Korg effects from a similar period maybe? Like the Korg stompboxes or analog racks?
There is one often very much overlooked old-school digital box of wonders than can very much do a BBD style triple string ensemble and thats the Korg SDD-3300 triple digital delay...

Forget the factory presets.. you will need to program this little 2U gem youself but with 6 LFOs with configurable phase angles locked to two free-running master LFOs modulating 3 delay blocks with all manner of regen and feed-forward routing with EQ it's capable of everything from sweet JUNO-106 style stereo chorus to lush string ensembles to the utterly bonkers!

Its cleaner than BBD ensembles with less distortion but still worth a look.

By far the richest and most complex string ensemble effect I've ever encountered has to be the granddaddy of them all ie. the Eminent 310U with its triple BBD "Orbitone" chorus modulated by 6 LFOs. I have fitted external inputs to both my 310U and others and it is quite remarkable how these things can turn the thinnest most horrible weedy little sawtooth into lush strings and choirs!!

I once fed Novachord 346 through the 310U which basically resulted in the worlds oldest string synth that never was - the result was really quite haunting! You can hear some of the result of this experiment in action at 4:18 into this recording:

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/ ... lection-ii