Korg Z3 software editor or patches?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Korg Z3 software editor or patches?

Post by impaler42 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 am

I just purchased a Korg Z3 guitar synthesizer. There is limited editing options available via the front panel so I was wondering if there are any good software patch editors or freely available patches that might be available online? I feel like this synth is a bit under-appreciated and it could be worth while being able to program FM sounds that would be specifically designed to sound good when played with a guitar.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Korg Z3 software editor or patches?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 10, 2016 11:38 am

Have you been to this Z3 Page already?

It says that MOTU Unisyn can edit the Z3. Yes, Unisyn is stupid expensive.

The Z3 uses the same Yamaha chip as the TX81Z and DX-11 so you might try an editor for one of those and see what happens :help:

You know, I had totally forgotten about that synth. Good luck!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Yeah I ended up deciding on Unisyn. Seems like the only software editor out there for the Z3. I was actually thinking about using a bass guitar instead of guitar. Do you have any thoughts on whether the pickup would work with a bass guitar? I was just speculating that the tracking might work even better with thicker strings.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu May 12, 2016 9:10 am

With that type of pickup bass guitar is worse, because the frequency is lower. That means wavelength is longer, so it takes longer to detect the frequency.