A V Synth album: Things Buried (Richard Barbieri)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

A V Synth album: Things Buried (Richard Barbieri)

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 pm

I've just discovered that the Roland V Synth has been extensively used in "Things Buried" by Richard Barbieri (Japan, Porcupine Tree, various David Sylvian's collaborations), based on an interview with Barbieri in this album he was aiming towards finding an "organic" digital sound and the V Synth was the right tool for the job ;) ...

Well, apart from the artistic value of the album (which I actually liked a lot), I think that this is a good example of what the V Synth is all about, I mean it should not be used to imitate "things" of the past (even though I find its virtual analog part quite good and with its own sweet spots), but to enter uncharted sonic territories and open ourselves to experimentation...

You can hear the album here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 27DE524C56

:keys1:

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: A V Synth album: Things Buried (Richard Barbieri)

Post by ronP » Wed May 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Good post, as I, too, listen to all I am able of Richard Barbieri's solo work. His V-Synth leads live scream and whisper with the dynamic phrasing prowess of a trained human voice. This after as we all know well his maximum use of Oberheim and Roland System 700 with Japan.

His solo beats are quite tight, too. Solid. Percy and Andy!

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu May 12, 2016 12:41 am

Really interesting album with great sonics. Thanks for the link!

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P Kiwi Mod, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 12, 2016 7:52 am

Thank you! :D

I remember when Tin Drum (the last Japan album) came out, it was something really new and fresh, I mean the songs, the sounds, it was something I have never heard on any other record before, well there were some Bowie-esque influences expecially in the guitars, but I was really impressed by the use of synthesizers, I have read somewhere that Barbieri and Sylvian spent hours and hours editing every single sound on a Prophet 5...

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 am

Still one of my favourites, particularly since my copy was handed to me by the man himself, which he kindly autographed as well. :D
RB was always one of my subtler influences from the 80s - his work with Japan really stood out for me, and it was a happy surprise hearing him in more recent years after I was introduced to Porcupine Tree (bloody great band too!). Knowing that Richard's work there was V-Synth heavy was one of the many things that steered me towards wanting one (stoked that I now do! :) )
Years ago, a student asked me if there was such a thing as "ambient beats" and I said "Yes, there is now" and played him Things Buried. One of the many reasons I've long liked this album is Richard's originality of sounds, whether it's melodic, textural, or percussive.
Nice to see interest in this album resurfacing here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.