Moog model D reissue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Moog model D reissue

Post by knolan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 am

@Madtheory: Why not email Moog on it. And - contact Kent Spong who has serviced many original Minimoogs and also Moog Voyagers. Surely he'll have a good handle on it and it'd be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

We should meet for that coffee and chat in Dublin or Cork like we've been promising for ages and chat further on it. I honestly don't get where you're coming from and why you would expect two different designed synths to sound identical - to me it's a no brainer. But it'd still be fun to chat about it (I think :-) ).

Even better - lets meet in Lille - I'll wear a Russian shirt and you were an English shirt - to disguise ourselves :-)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

Well that sounds like a great idea :) Pretending to be English in Lille is probably less dangerous than comparing Moogs on VSE :oops: :lol: But I’d like to clear up some misunderstandings.
knolan wrote:@Madtheory: Why not email Moog on it. And - contact Kent Spong...
Or why not reference Gordon Reid as I did…
knolan wrote:I honestly don't get where you're coming from and why you would expect two different designed synths to sound identical...
I never said "identical". That's a very specific statement that's impossible to back up. I said "there is not really any difference in tone between the Minimoog and the Voyager" and Gordon Reid agrees. And I said this was based on my limited time with the Mini. Not very specific, I admit. But hey, if you’re gonna get your nickers in a twist about misquoting, practice what you preach!

But ya, i’s definitely something worth debating. As long as there are no unsubstantiated assertions about electronics. And maybe lots of talk about perception, along the lines of Kahneman's work. And preferably with the instruments to hand? We could jam. Not a proper test, but potentially fun :D

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:09 pm

How authentic is this reissue? Does this Model D reissue capture the radio interference and oscillator tuning drift of the original?

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:08 pm

madtheory wrote:Well that sounds like a great idea :) Pretending to be English in Lille is probably less dangerous than comparing Moogs on VSE :oops: :lol: But I’d like to clear up some misunderstandings.
knolan wrote:@Madtheory: Why not email Moog on it. And - contact Kent Spong...
Or why not reference Gordon Reid as I did…
knolan wrote:I honestly don't get where you're coming from and why you would expect two different designed synths to sound identical...
I never said "identical". That's a very specific statement that's impossible to back up. I said "there is not really any difference in tone between the Minimoog and the Voyager" and Gordon Reid agrees. And I said this was based on my limited time with the Mini. Not very specific, I admit. But hey, if you’re gonna get your nickers in a twist about misquoting, practice what you preach!

But ya, i’s definitely something worth debating. As long as there are no unsubstantiated assertions about electronics. And maybe lots of talk about perception, along the lines of Kahneman's work. And preferably with the instruments to hand? We could jam. Not a proper test, but potentially fun :D

I guess we should drop it. I put out an olive branch and you snap it in two! Firstly - who cares what Gordon Ried says. I can hear the difference. Secondly, the electronics claims are not unsubstantiated - they are you lack of electronics understanding and, it's not about perception. And when you say "not really a difference" - how much "not really"? And if not identical - you are saying the are different some how! So you're actually agreeing they are different. Anyway - as suggested before - let's actually agree to disagree because its about to be re-released and this thread is really for that discussion, and not endless arguments over whether they sound the same as a Voyager.

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Wonder if the "new" Mini's sound more similar to the Voyager, as obviously the vintage Mini's out there have aged 40 years and those things take their toil on the components and thus the sound.

I can see plenty for people going "ah the new Minis don't sound like Minimoog's" whereas they do, they just sound like *new* ones, not liked the decrepit old clanky rusty vintage OAP Mini's out there in the world... ;)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Probably slapped the Sub37 vcos in there, built a new casing, and called it a day.

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Probably slapped the Sub37 vcos in there, built a new casing, and called it a day.
Yeah. Just like they did with the Moog 55... :roll:

Have you even watched the assembly/component videos?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Yeah, it looks legit. Just trying to lighten the mood, since this is all speculative bullshit anyways.

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Dude, a Sub37 VCO? No way...too much work. They got that minty new Moog 15 iPad app right? Duct tape that into a fake wooden box and say "Damn, we're done!"

Sure, they'll need a promo video featuring some guy with artisinal facial hair, but once that hard work is done, they can just sit back and let those fat benjamins start rolln' in.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:45 pm

:lol:

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:speculative bullshit anyways.
"We were going to call our new Minimoog the "Model D", but instead we've decided to call it, the "Moog Speculative Bullshit".

Has a certain ring, no..? ;)

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 pm

chipaudette wrote:Dude, a Sub37 VCO? No way...too much work. They got that minty new Moog 15 iPad app right? Duct tape that into a fake wooden box and say "Damn, we're done!"

Sure, they'll need a promo video featuring some guy with artisinal facial hair, but once that hard work is done, they can just sit back and let those fat benjamins start rolln' in.

;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

desmond wrote:Wonder if the "new" Mini's sound more similar to the Voyager, as obviously the vintage Mini's out there have aged 40 years and those things take their toil on the components and thus the sound.

I can see plenty for people going "ah the new Minis don't sound like Minimoog's" whereas they do, they just sound like *new* ones, not liked the decrepit old clanky rusty vintage OAP Mini's out there in the world... ;)
Our own Hideaway studio wrote an authoritative post on this issue a while back. knolan take note...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... ng#p743404

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:07 pm

chipaudette wrote:artisinal facial hair
/thread
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:20 pm

chipaudette wrote:Dude, a Sub37 VCO? No way...too much work. They got that minty new Moog 15 iPad app right? Duct tape that into a fake wooden box and say "Damn, we're done!"

LOL :lol:

The truth is that 99.9% of music listeners in the world can't tell and don't care about any sound differences between a Minimoog soft synth versus Minimoog hardware.