Moog model D reissue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: Moog model D reissue

Post by wiss » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Looks like the release is getting pushed back a month, the first batch was suppose to ship this week, looks like July 19th now.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:52 am

adamstan wrote:Or even F - that Welsh clone from the '90s was called "E" AFAIK.

BTW I find it pretty strange to call that synth "Moog Model D" instead of just "Minimoog".
Wasn't Steinberg's VST Minimoog plugin called "Model-E?"

The Voyager was technically called the "Moog Minimoog Voyager." This one should be called "Moog Minimoog Classic" or something like that. But it's not a true Model-D.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 am

wiss wrote:Looks like the release is getting pushed back a month, the first batch was suppose to ship this week, looks like July 19th now.
Where did you find this out? Is this for the US - or for the rest of world? Not questioning the truth of your statement - just really interested (I'll be ordering one).

cheers,
Kevin.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:59 am

elsongs wrote:Wasn't Steinberg's VST Minimoog plugin called "Model-E?"
Yes.
elsongs wrote:The Voyager was technically called the "Moog Minimoog Voyager."
Only in the USA. Everywhere else it's just "Voyager".
elsongs wrote:But it's not a true Model-D.
Why not?

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:51 am

madtheory wrote:
Why not?
Already went over this...it has features that the Model-D doesn't have. To reiterate, it's definitely a Minimoog, it;s just not a Model-D.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:58 am

knolan wrote:
wiss wrote:Looks like the release is getting pushed back a month, the first batch was suppose to ship this week, looks like July 19th now.
Where did you find this out? Is this for the US - or for the rest of world? Not questioning the truth of your statement - just really interested (I'll be ordering one).

cheers,
Kevin.
The company I pre-ordered mine through sent me an email that there has been a delay.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:08 pm

elsongs wrote:
madtheory wrote:
Why not?
Already went over this...it has features that the Model-D doesn't have. To reiterate, it's definitely a Minimoog, it;s just not a Model-D.
Which features? MIDI and a digitally scanned keyboard? What difference does that make to anything useful apart from synth geeking?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes, MIDI, Voyager keybed, It also has an LFO and heaps more CV/Audio connections, aftertouch, velocity, new mod routing options etc. I'd say that's quite a few significant upgrades over a vintage Minimoog.

To me, if it's going to be a direct 1:1 reissue (like the modulars were) then sure call it a Model D, but this is not it. Calling it a Model E (ignoring the Welsh imitation for the sake of argument) would be much more appropriate as it's quite obviously an updated version.

Though I guess Moog are taking the "heritage milking" option (no surprise there!) and keeping the name the same, similar to the Fiat 500, started off life with a 500c.c. engine hence the name, now the new one comes with an engine twice that size but the name still remains the same.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:14 pm

madtheory wrote:
elsongs wrote:
Which features? MIDI and a digitally scanned keyboard? What difference does that make to anything useful apart from synth geeking?
Why don't you drop it! You're wrecking the thread. Just leave it for details about the reissue if you wouldn't mind!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm

knolan wrote:
madtheory wrote:
elsongs wrote:
Why don't you drop it! You're wrecking the thread. Just leave it for details about the reissue if you wouldn't mind!
Oh you're back with another straw man. Meh.

They're calling it a Model D because that's good marketing. Jeez you can't win. If there was no MIDI there'd still be complaints. An original resistive Pratt & Reed keyboard? Ya sure, if you don't mind paying another €500 for an unreliable mechanism that would take Moog a year to get manufactured and a spare LFO and after touch are just so un-musical. But hey, b***h away otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about LOL!

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:16 pm

madtheory wrote:
They're calling it a Model D because that's good marketing. Jeez you can't win. If there was no MIDI there'd still be complaints. An original resistive Pratt & Reed keyboard? Ya sure, if you don't mind paying another €500 for an unreliable mechanism that would take Moog a year to get manufactured and a spare LFO and after touch are just so un-musical. But hey, b***h away otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about LOL!
Speaking of synth geekery. Only Synth Geeks ever call this thing a "Model-D." Musicians, music stores, producers, audio engineers, sound techs and marketing people just call it a "Minimoog." Nothing on the instrument itself or the packaging says "Model-D." Even non-musicians know what a Minimoog is.

All of us here agree it's a "Minimoog." True, it's got new features, but no one here is saying it's anything but a Minimoog. Fender has been making the Stratocaster for decades. The electronics and pickups might be different, but it's still a Stratocaster.

If it's all in the name of marketing, why not just use the more universally-recognizable and consensus-agreed name "Minimoog?"

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:55 pm

elsongs wrote:If it's all in the name of marketing, why not just use the more universally-recognizable and consensus-agreed name "Minimoog?"
The hipsters would never buy that.

Also:
commodorejohn wrote:It's a handy indicator that someone is trying too hard.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 am

elsongs wrote:Nothing on the instrument itself or the packaging says "Model-D."
Uhhhmmmmmm... :dontknow: :ugeek:

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:12 am

I think I remember a while back ol' Señor Doty saying that it's stoopid to talk about Model Ds since the first three were prototypes and not commercially produced.

but then, he says a lot of stuff... Image

knolan wrote: That quote attributed to me was not made by me. Is this forum moderated??
Take it easy chief - I was pissed.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:50 am

Well then by that logic it was stupid of Moog to call it a "Model D" in the first place. As far as I know a Model B and a few Model C's did make it into the wild, but I'll await AG's input on that one.

Not that any of this matters but it is fun winding you guys up :lol: