Reissues you'd like to see...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Re: Reissues you'd like to see...

Post by edfunction » Tue May 24, 2016 4:01 pm

pflosi wrote:
edfunction wrote:d50 without the keyboard in the boutique size/format/price is what i'd go for
Hey mate! Long time no see. How are you doing?

The keyboardless D50 already exists, although just slightly bigger and pricier than the Boutiques... As Black Tomorrow mentioned above, the V-Synth with VC1 does it; but especially the V-Synth XT that has the VC cards integrated already, and no keyboard. I am absolutely sure that you would love that synth for its sampler even without the D50 on top :mrgreen:
All good! I've been keeping low profile due to modular addiction ;)

Yeah the V-synth would be great but pricey and desktop form factor is always easier for me to deal with. In fact maybe the V-synth is what needs reissuing in a slightly different format, maybe patchpoints (we can dream).

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue May 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Well, tell me more about this modular addiction ;) Sounds familiar.

Ha, the V-Synth XT can be positioned as tabletop piece, no problem. Rather ingenious mounting design, actually.

I'd be all over a reissued V-Synth, especially if they'd focus on the sampling capabilities (instead of cheesy presets like the V-Synth 2). Patchpoints, I doubt it, but would be excellent :D

Cheers :drinks:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue May 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Tacowitch wrote:I'm gonna go waaaaay out there and say I would love a modern reissue of the Atari ST.

Also, MPC1000. I think the market could really benefit from a current-production hardware sampler that doesn't need to be tied to a computer and isn't octatrack expensive.
Someone just released an ST clone... can't recall name, but it's a straight hardware emulator of that and a bunch of other ancient PCs.
wiss wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I'd be really into a reissue of the Sp12, filters on each channel.
I second that !!!
So this is kind of being done with this thing:

It outputs any amount of sample material through the original 8-bit DACs, and you can filter it with three different filter options, one of which--the CEM--is CV-controllable. The sequencing aspects haven't been finalized yet, but it should be at least to the original Linndrum level, with the possibility of per step filter/pitch control, which would put it at or above the SP-1200s sequencer. Also, CC control of everything! It won't quite have that particular SP sample aliasing crunch, but I'm sure will have some serious crunchiness just the same.
Do you even post on vse bro?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Someone just released an ST clone... can't recall name, but it's a straight hardware emulator of that and a bunch of other ancient PCs.
I can't really see the point of this. if you want the hardware for some specific reason (eg, you want a dedicated Notator machine), you can buy ST's for peanuts (I threw mine away, wasn't even worth trying to sell), and if you just want to run ST stuff, there are a bunch of emulators around for a few platforms, than can give you large desktop, full colour hi-res screens and run at hundreds of times the speed and memory of the originals... I have most of my old Atari environment running under emulators...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed May 25, 2016 3:41 pm

desmond wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:Someone just released an ST clone... can't recall name, but it's a straight hardware emulator of that and a bunch of other ancient PCs.
I can't really see the point of this. if you want the hardware for some specific reason (eg, you want a dedicated Notator machine), you can buy ST's for peanuts (I threw mine away, wasn't even worth trying to sell), and if you just want to run ST stuff, there are a bunch of emulators around for a few platforms, than can give you large desktop, full colour hi-res screens and run at hundreds of times the speed and memory of the originals... I have most of my old Atari environment running under emulators...
yeah, no disagreement there. But I think this is more for vintage PC nerds than casual musicians just wanting to run Cubase or whatever. Actually, it sounds like there are compatibility issues with this hardware and Cubase (+ dongle) so probably not really a good option.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 pm

The problem with emulators is usually MIDI connectivity and other minor niggles. Emulators are mostly made for playing old games pixel perfectly.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:33 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
wiss wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I'd be really into a reissue of the Sp12, filters on each channel.
I second that !!!
So this is kind of being done with this thing:

It outputs any amount of sample material through the original 8-bit DACs, and you can filter it with three different filter options, one of which--the CEM--is CV-controllable. The sequencing aspects haven't been finalized yet, but it should be at least to the original Linndrum level, with the possibility of per step filter/pitch control, which would put it at or above the SP-1200s sequencer. Also, CC control of everything! It won't quite have that particular SP sample aliasing crunch, but I'm sure will have some serious crunchiness just the same.
I got all excited when I read this, but then had a look at the kickstarter and it looks like it's not going to happen. :( Dude probably ran out of kickstarter money before he could get it finished and now everybody's left in the lurch. It's a pity, he should have been aiming for 5-10 times the budget he got, so that he could afford to devote himself to it fully until it was done. $5k will only keep you going for a month or two after you take out the cost of parts, so any mistakes in prototypes or hurdle you may come across on the way can derail the whole thing.

I'm slowly working my way up to doing something similar, but I'm going about it very slowly and just figuring out one element at a time until I've got everything ready to go and just need to put it all together, but that's years off anyway. I imagine someone else will get it finished before I do, but that's life.

aqualung23
Gear: Roland Juno 106
Korg R3
Yamaha AN1X
Band: MC Ion

Post by aqualung23 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:46 pm

colmon wrote:
aqualung23 wrote:Yeah I'd love to think I could buy the JP-08 for $399 and get an authentic sounding Jupiter 8 reproduction, but from A/B demos I've seen, the Boutiques don't really cut it IMO. I did mess with the JP-08 at guitar center, and while it is a cool sounding synth module for the price, it's no Jupiter.
That's because Boutique is DIGITAL and DIGITAL is like MATSTURBATIONS with p**n.

I'd like to see Jupiter Roland 5 reissued for under $899 dollars with on board fx and iOS capability.
Yes I also feel this way about the Jupiter 80. I hate to be an "analog snob", but Roland has certainly failed to capture the classic sounds of older models with the newer digital synths. They should just license or sell the Jupiter 8 to Korg so they can produce it and make us all happy.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I got all excited when I read this, but then had a look at the kickstarter and it looks like it's not going to happen. :( Dude probably ran out of kickstarter money before he could get it finished and now everybody's left in the lurch. It's a pity, he should have been aiming for 5-10 times the budget he got, so that he could afford to devote himself to it fully until it was done. $5k will only keep you going for a month or two after you take out the cost of parts, so any mistakes in prototypes or hurdle you may come across on the way can derail the whole thing.
Au contraire! He reached the kickstarter goal and is very close to finishing at this point (maybe he didn't update the page). More recent updates here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/958737544186817/

He's been pretty on top of it, and suggested that if this first batch goes well he'll make more.

ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm

aqualung23 wrote:
colmon wrote:
aqualung23 wrote:Yeah I'd love to think I could buy the JP-08 for $399 and get an authentic sounding Jupiter 8 reproduction, but from A/B demos I've seen, the Boutiques don't really cut it IMO. I did mess with the JP-08 at guitar center, and while it is a cool sounding synth module for the price, it's no Jupiter.
That's because Boutique is DIGITAL and DIGITAL is like MATSTURBATIONS with p**n.

I'd like to see Jupiter Roland 5 reissued for under $899 dollars with on board fx and iOS capability.
Yes I also feel this way about the Jupiter 80. I hate to be an "analog snob", but Roland has certainly failed to capture the classic sounds of older models with the newer digital synths. They should just license or sell the Jupiter 8 to Korg so they can produce it and make us all happy.
You know that colmon shouldn't be taken seriously, right?
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri May 27, 2016 11:21 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Yamaha CS80 in an enclosure made from aluminium, with memories, and without fakewood.

Stephen
The CS80 doesn't have fakewood. It has hard wood - and why it weights 100kg.

Adding memories would wreck it. It's the lack of memories that contributes to using it in creative ways. There's no option to store programs - so you never think about it. You always only engage its control surface, uninhibited.

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:00 am

I would really, really, really love to see an authentic Oberheim OB re-issue. I am just not sold on the OB-6 being enough like the older ones. Musictrackjp's video has been the only one that I have seen where someone has made it sound like an older one (in that case an OB-8), but being that this thread is just for fun, I want a perfect recreation of an OB-XA or OB-X, with midi, that doesn't cost a fortune. :D

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Really ?

Sounds a h**l of a lot like the older ones to me here. Obviously not absolutely 100% , but pretty damn close .. :

[youtube][/youtube]

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat May 28, 2016 2:35 pm

30h5 wrote:I would really, really, really love to see an authentic Oberheim OB re-issue. I am just not sold on the OB-6 being enough like the older ones. Musictrackjp's video has been the only one that I have seen where someone has made it sound like an older one (in that case an OB-8), but being that this thread is just for fun, I want a perfect recreation of an OB-XA or OB-X, with midi, that doesn't cost a fortune. :D
Despite the (rather misleading) paint job, the OB6 is more based on the earlier SEM stuff, than the later OB-Xa/OB-8.

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:23 pm

desmond wrote:
30h5 wrote:I would really, really, really love to see an authentic Oberheim OB re-issue. I am just not sold on the OB-6 being enough like the older ones. Musictrackjp's video has been the only one that I have seen where someone has made it sound like an older one (in that case an OB-8), but being that this thread is just for fun, I want a perfect recreation of an OB-XA or OB-X, with midi, that doesn't cost a fortune. :D
Despite the (rather misleading) paint job, the OB6 is more based on the earlier SEM stuff, than the later OB-Xa/OB-8.
You're right. So perhaps my issue is more with the filter. I'll readily admit, I can only base this on the demos I have heard, but (to me at least), the OB-6 is just missing something that the older units had. I will also admit that this could all be in my head. Or it could also be that I like the sound of the CEMs. I don't know for sure, but I do like the sound of the filters on the SEMs, so who knows....