Short rant: Rosen Sound in LA (106 voice fix)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Short rant: Rosen Sound in LA (106 voice fix)

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote: I'd be happy to answer anything else you'd like to know.
Sure

Y'all hiring? :D

Rob @ Rosen Inc
Gear: Oberheim OB8, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Rev 2 & 3, Pro-One, Moog Minimoog, Yamaha CS-80 & E-70, Korg Kronos

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Give us a call ;)
We're always looking for good talent.
- Rob
Forgive me for my synths.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote:Sockets for the chips are another controversy
What is the poblem with sockets ?
I often repair 106s, so mine has voice #1 on socket just to check the 80017A of the 106s of my customers. No problem until today... Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Rob @ Rosen Inc
Gear: Oberheim OB8, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Rev 2 & 3, Pro-One, Moog Minimoog, Yamaha CS-80 & E-70, Korg Kronos

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:11 am

Push-Pull wrote:
Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote:Sockets for the chips are another controversy
What is the poblem with sockets ?
I often repair 106s, so mine has voice #1 on socket just to check the 80017A of the 106s of my customers. No problem until today... Image
I don't think there's a problem with sockets if you use the right ones....
Some techs (respectable ones at that) say sockets cause more headache and increase the chances of dropped voices. I assume this means that there's a chance that the sockets won't hold the chip tight enough, and a bumpy car ride can unseat a chip.
I find this plausible.
However, in my experience using nothing-special sockets, it's never been a problem. Not even once.
Roland pcbs of the era were not great. If a chip failed, I would not look forward to de soldering and re soldering a second time to replace a chip. Plus, sockets make it that much easier to use AR chips in the future. It's a good compromise if you're can even call it a compromise.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:08 pm

I think the sockets are a very nessersary, I have removed countless Juno at chips and the tracking is very fragile.

I see many sad cases from botched attempts on those boards...if you can't solder don't try it.

Got 3 in this week for new chips.

Top tip.....always remove the deadly foam from the pot board...and clean out the sliders.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

Rob @ Rosen Inc

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 pm

sam wrote:I think the sockets are a very nessersary, I have removed countless Juno at chips and the tracking is very fragile.

I see many sad cases from botched attempts on those boards...if you can't solder don't try it.

Got 3 in this week for new chips.

Top tip.....always remove the deadly foam from the pot board...and clean out the sliders.
That's what it comes down to.... If you can't solder, more so de-solder, don't try it. You will burn the board. You will lift traces. You will cause more problems.

The foam is now days brittle. We're getting it remanufactured right now and will have it available soon.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:04 am

Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote:Some techs (respectable ones at that) say sockets cause more headache and increase the chances of dropped voices. I assume this means that there's a chance that the sockets won't hold the chip tight enough, and a bumpy car ride can unseat a chip.
I find this plausible.
Yes I agree, for a 106 on the road, it is preferable to solder. 8-) Mine is in "studio use" only.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Rob @ Rosen Inc

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Push-Pull wrote:
Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote:Some techs (respectable ones at that) say sockets cause more headache and increase the chances of dropped voices. I assume this means that there's a chance that the sockets won't hold the chip tight enough, and a bumpy car ride can unseat a chip.
I find this plausible.
Yes I agree, for a 106 on the road, it is preferable to solder. 8-) Mine is in "studio use" only.
True. Hot glue does the trick though. Sent one on tour with some silicone for extra protection. Not one problem on the road. I've shipped them around the world with a small dab of silicone. No problem.
Interestingly enough, the mid tier sockets I get, generally, will hold the chip tighter.