have you ever bought the same peice of gear 3 times?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: have you ever bought the same peice of gear 3 times?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 am

Jabberwalky wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: sold three times: pAiA 9700 modular
What caused you to do that to the poor paia???
Mainly the bizarro filter behavior at high res where it starts squealing in a bad way. It can be tamed by lowering the input signal level but that requires a way to attenuate that signal...as you know the mixer is also the only attenuator in the base system, it really needs a better mixer module. Lack of attenuators made it impossible to scale pitch bend, mod wheel, velocity or aftertouch. With my final one I added a Happy Endings rack and some Euro modules...guess what, attenuators and mixers :roll:

I retreated to my Evolver instead...traded off a configurable signal chain for civilized MIDI behavior and patch memory.

That said, the 9700 is a nice synth for evolving sounds since the EGs are all loopable. It was my first modular (back when there were no other options under $1000) and I learned a lot from using it. I'm still amazed that more folks don't buy it since both modulars and DIY are the rage these days. It blows the MS20 out of the water.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 am

madtheory wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote: Crumar Bit One (2x)
Let me guess- because it's a cool sounding synth but terribly badly made? I would buy one again... if it worked!!
Ha! Yeah - pretty much.

Sheesh! I completely forgot about the Casio stuff. I had four CZ-101s at once at one point in time; I think I've had six total over the years, plus the same CZ-1 twice and a couple different CZ-1000s. Love those synths, too.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:16 am

I'm on my third ESQ-1. Shouldn't have sold the second one.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:41 am

You guys are crazy! :lol:

Mind you, thinking about it, I had a CZ-101 when I was a kid that I eventually sold, expecting a plugin version to happen very soon.

And year after year it never came, so I eventually started a project to do my own emulation, so I bought a CZ-1 to access my old sounds, and to use to model the emulation.

But then while I had started that and made some progress, Virtual CZ came out, which was pretty much what I had wanted (although it doesn't quite go as far as I'd like ideally) and basically took the market, so I stopped working on mine.

So yeah, I re-bought a CZ, albeit not the same model (they were all basically the same, anyway...)

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:12 pm

The worst I've done is twice. But not because I sold the first, because I wanted two :)

oh - it was a EHX Smallstone pedal - two makes for great stereo mix and interesting phasey results.

squatski

Post by squatski » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 pm

I guess in general it's quite bad selling gear only to buy it again a couple of times, you'll always lose out on money some how.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Sort of. Sold a JX-10 (my first analog polysynth), missed the strings/pads, and picked up a cheap JX-8P. Got kind of bored of that and sold it. Missed the JX strings/pads (again), so got an MKS-70. I think I'll stick with this one...

crafter57

Post by crafter57 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:45 am

JP-8000 (3x) ~Sigh~ bought because it looked amazing but never learned the damn thing..
I thought I needed it 3 times but I was wrong!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:59 am

I used to have eight or ten Schulte Compact Phasing A between 1993 and 2000, and I sold all of them but one (the best-sounding IMO).

Two years ago, I found myself lusting after another CPA so I set out to buy one. I ended up buying two, and then there were three again.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm on my 3rd An1x. At certain points it would get pushed aside for whatever was new. Whenever I hooked it back into the setup, it ended up in the majority of my tracks!

I don't plan on ever getting rid of this one. It's now fully integrated into my workflow.

I use it for leads, stabs, chords, pads, and FM plucks.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:22 pm

two JX8P and a JX10 does that count :D

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:36 am

MaxiKorg (4) Have 2 now
Prophet VS (3) Have 2 now
VL1 (3) Have all 3
Vl1-M (4) Have 3 now
Moog Voyager (Signature,XL, Rack) Just the rack now
MS-20 (4) Original, Mini, Kit, & Module. Have all 3 new ones
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

xenia625
Gear: Minibrute, RS-09, FAEMI-1M, Polivoks, Aelita, MS-20 mini, K/ARP Odyssey, Lel' PSR, Marsh UDS, Rhythm Wolf, Alisa-1377, TR-626

Post by xenia625 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:44 am

Well... I had a TR-626 years ago, but sold it... now I'm hunting for another (at a reasonable price). So not three times, but twice. Also... if I can't get my FAEMI-1M working properly again, I'll probably look at getting a second one.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:45 am

About to buy my 3rd Roland D50, despite the sluggish attack and the fact you can't filter the PCM waves. I love the synth engine and the looped PCM waves. Forget about those attack transients though. Actually, my 2nd one was a D550.
GC

db0451

Post by db0451 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:29 pm

mmp wrote:VL1 (3) Have all 3
Vl1-M (4) Have 3 now
Wow. That's a real collection. I'm interested to know what you do with them. Guessing you do lots of layering and/or poly-extension? Do you mainly use them for emulative or synth sounds?