Would you make this trade?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Moxsam

Would you make this trade?

Post by Moxsam » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Hey guys,

Synth newbie here with a quick question.

I recently purchased an Ensoniq SQ-80 and a EPS sampler keyboard. Both are in mint condition.

Life is pretty busy these days so I haven't had enough time to really sink my teeth into playing around with both of them. I've been fiddling with the SQ-80 a bit and having lots of fun but I have barely touched the EPS.

A local guy has asked me if I would be interested in trading the EPS for his Microkorg. He is REALLY interested in the EPS and is trying to convince me that I NEED the Microkorg. I just don't know enough about either machine to know their value or abilities. I realize one is a synth and the other a sampler.

One thing that bugs me about the SQ-80 is that I can't seem to adjust parameters in real time without repressing the key. Kind of seems opposite of what I was expecting.

Anyhow, any opinions on this potential trade?

micahjonhughes

Re: Would you make this trade?

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:34 pm

The SQ 80 is a cool synth. Unfortunately, you do have to trigger a new note when changing parameters.

As you noted, the EPS is a sampler. It was innovative when it came out, but very limited by current standards. Unless you are interested in the sound of the EPS, no need to keep gear you are not using or looking to get into.

Whether you want a microkorg or not, is something I can't tell you. It would be different from the SQ 80.

You can look at sold listings on ebay to judge what you might get the the EPS if you were to sell it and what a used microkorg costs.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 pm

If you never use the EPS there is no point in keeping it around. That guy will obviously use it more. And the microkorg is a great little synth that is super easy to operate and you'll get loads of good sounds out of it. I'd say do it.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 pm

You're in the US right? If so, that seems fair.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 pm

If you're not using the EPS - go for it!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Microkorg will be a good compliment to the SQ-80. Definitely don't get rid of that one! (One trick for smooth filter sweeps at least is to assign the mod or pitch wheel to filter cutoff.)
Do you even post on vse bro?

groy

Post by groy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 am

IDK If you are busy and haven't had much time to dig in yet, I would see if you can sell that guy the EPS and spend your time enjoying the SQ-80 before getting something else. Do you have any effect pedals or anything or are you running it into a DAW?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:27 am

Why is he trying to get rid of this microkorg so bad? And if the microkorg is so great, why doesn't he want it anymore? The MK isn't exactly rare, and not particularly sought after or all that spectacular (yet I'm sure fun, and very capable, especially if it uses part of the Radias' sound engine), so you take your time thinking about this. You will always be able to buy one in the future.

What's the condition of the microkorg like? If you're trading for fair value @ equal condition, only then do you determine which one you want more.

And why does this guy want your EPS in the first place if it's so limited? What's the appeal there? I would want an EPS over a microkorg, because I prefer old samplers, and microkorgs are a dime a dozen. What's the guy''s reason? And is he trust worthy? He could just know something about the values of either that you don't. Which is why it's good you posted here. The fact that he's trying so hard to sell you on this trade is a red flag for me. Even if it ends up being a good deal in theory, make sure there's nothing wrong with that MK!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Moxsam

Post by Moxsam » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

I went to check out the Microkorg any way. It certainly seems like a fun unit and the videos I've watched have me interested. However the guy obviously doesn't take very good care of his stuff. The thing looked like it had been tossed around a bit. Lot's of scuffs, scratches, and it actually felt kind of greasy and sticky.

If it was in great shape I may have considered it. But to trade my mint condition EPS for that thing didn't seem right at all.

Thanks