Anyone with a Roland TR-8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
BengtGrive
Gear: Yamaha CS2X
Roland Fantom G6
Roland TR-8

Anyone with a Roland TR-8

Post by BengtGrive » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:48 pm

I have connected the Roland TR-8 to my Roland Fantom. The sequencer on the TR seems to be controlled by my Fantom. As soon as I playing the sequencer on the Fantom the pattern on the TR starts kicking.
But I can´t find the MSB, LSB number on the TR. I can´t record the TR in midi on the Fantom. I can only sample the drums.
What am I doing wrong?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Anyone with a Roland TR-8

Post by Z » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:29 pm

This sounds normal. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to use the TR-8 as a sound module instead of a drum machine? If so, I don't see anything in its crappy manual about turning of MIDI Start/Stop receive. I recommend making an empty pattern if you're wanting to trigger the TR-8's sounds via MIDI.

What is "MSB" & "LSB"?
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

BengtGrive
Roland Fantom G6
Roland TR-8

Post by BengtGrive » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:20 pm

I´m trying to record drums as midi from the TR to the Fantoms sequencer. I got my Yamaha synth connected to the Fantom. That thing works great. The Yamaha is recorded as midi through the Fantoms external mixer.

The MSB and LSB numbers are just some numbers you need to have so the Fantom can find midi data from an external machine. In the Yamaha case the numbers are the Yamahas bank and presets number.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 pm

I have 2 Fantom X6s, I've never head of MSB or LSB.

Ok, so you're trying to record MIDI data from the TR-8 into the Fantom's sequencer? Then use MIDI OUT from the TR-8 to the MIDI IN on the Fantom and record to the appropriate MIDI track (channel 10, by default), then set that MIDI track to external so that it does not play the Fantom's internal drum sounds or whatever you have assigned to that channel on the Fantom. You would still need to create a blank pattern on the TR-8 so you only hear the TR-8 sounds as triggered via Fantom's sequencer.

You next sentence about the Yamaha puzzles me. By "Fantom's external mixer", are you referring to the Audio Input on the back? or are you running the audio outs from the Fantom, TR-8 and Yamaha into a line mixer?

BengtGrive
Roland Fantom G6
Roland TR-8

Post by BengtGrive » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:55 pm

OK. Maybe I have put the midi cable cable wrong. I think I have the cable in midi in on the TR. I´m gonna try that later. My idea was that it would have been really cool if I could have lets say 4 patterns on the TR and if I could divide them on four of the Fantoms external midi channels.
Until now I have sampled the TR in to the Fantom. It works fine to but the samples take a lot of space.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:37 pm

But the Fantom already has 808 & 909 samples in it.

BengtGrive
Roland Fantom G6
Roland TR-8

Post by BengtGrive » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:00 am

Yeah. Maybe i´m crazy. :D . It may sound like "crossing the stream to get water". I just wanted to try to connect those instruments. Maybe I had an idea that the TR:s sounds are better then the Fantoms.

db0451

Post by db0451 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I don't understand what you're trying to do, but here goes:
BengtGrive wrote:OK. Maybe I have put the midi cable cable wrong. I think I have the cable in midi in on the TR. I´m gonna try that later.
Try what? There's no other option. The cable needs a MIDI Out port at one end and a MIDI In port at the other.
My idea was that it would have been really cool if I could have lets say 4 patterns on the TR and if I could divide them on four of the Fantoms external midi channels.
The TR-8 can only receive on one MIDI channel, which defaults to 10. And it can only play one Pattern (internal sequence) and Kit (set of drum assignments) at a single time.

However, if your sequencer supports sending multiple tracks to the same MIDI channel, then you can use that to achieve 'separate' sequencing, MIDI muting/transformation, etc of individual drums (I do).

As for your earlier stuff about MSB/LSB, that's usually referring to the different layers of Bank/Program Changes, but the TR-8 uses PCs to select kits and I don't believe has any concept of BCs.

In particular, many people are still rightfully very annoyed that Roland haven't implemented any way to change Pattern by a MIDI command.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:32 am

In the latest OS (1.2.0) there is now the option to disable the reception of stop and start messages.

Tidda