Just picked up a Roland CR8000 and Korg Rhythm 55!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Just picked up a Roland CR8000 and Korg Rhythm 55!

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Two drum machines I have been wanting to get for some time now... (sorry the pictures are a$$ I literally just picked them up):

I'm pretty psyched, the CR-8000 is in immaculate condition and even has the dust cover. The KR-55 is also working 100% so far that I've tested, and comes with the footswitch too. Best part? This was a local sale and I got both for $400... I think that's a pretty good deal, maybe close to market value?

Now I have to figure out how to add trigger inputs! lol
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Just picked up a Roland CR8000 and Korg Rhythm 55!

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 pm

You must be a very happy bunny now.

Congratulations. Money well spent.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:00 am

Congrats! Those are two of my favorites (well, to be honest, the KR-55B is the one for me) - I'm sure you'll dig them immensely. Very happy for you!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Alex E » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 am

Never noticed how similar they look!
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: RS7000, Motif ES7, AN1x, JP-8000, Supernova II, Virus C, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:49 am

Well I got a chance to play around with them tonight for a bit and I'm really happy to finally own these. They're not anywhere near as 'flexible' as say the LinnDrum, but for on-the-fly good rhythms with punch, they are inspiring to play with and groove to.

Here are a few more good pictures after basic cleanup, etc.

Korg Rhythm 55:

Had to glue one of the posts back to the plastic chassis:

A gut shot:

Dude, it even came with the dual footswitch, and this thing is super heavy-duty:

Roland CR-8000:

Gut shot:

I got super scared when I saw these and surprisingly very little leakage if at all:

So far, the only problems I've found are that on the Korg, the clock sometimes will not stay in sync, ie: speeds up and down, but it only happened like twice and for a moment, and on the Roland, the rotary encoder for the tempo is VERY sensitive, hard to dial in the tempo without having to tap it one way to nudge the number perfectly... that could possibly just be a dirty pot but it's a lot more work to get the pot/button board apart to even see. All in all, both of these machines are in extremely nice condition, the Roland seriously in excellent physical condition physically and mechanically.

The CR-8000 really has that CR-78 vibe to it, the familiar fill and accent dials, but it has some early-808 going for it also with the hand clap and clavs.

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Congrats! Those are two of my favorites (well, to be honest, the KR-55B is the one for me) - I'm sure you'll dig them immensely. Very happy for you!

Let me say, that at first I was calling up only on the Roland, but thought it would be stupid to pass up the Korg if Im going to get both of them for roughly the same market price as the Roland alone. After messing around with it, I think I'm actually digging the Korg a bit more! It's really got some great patterns for a pre-1980 drum box. Very punchy too. Wasn't really expecting that!
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby wiss » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:47 am

Roland and Korg do not have the same sync clock, Roland is 24 and I believe Korg is a 48.
Last edited by wiss on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am

The Korg trigger output is negative polarity.

There is a sync retrofit for the 55 but I forgot which manufacturer.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Return to General Synthesizers